Seizures and hunger/low blood sugar

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,

I've always noticed that if I'm hungry I'm more likely to have a seizure. I try to eat at set times.

I've been tested for diabetes a few times due to the reaction I have when I haven't eaten for a while - shaky, pale, weak, and then usually an aura and/or seizure. I've been told my blood sugar is low, but not outside the 'normal' range.

Having identified this as a trigger, obviously I want to improve things.

Sometimes I am unreasonably hungry at inconvenient times, ie my lunch break is at 12 but I'll be hungry to the point of feeling sick at 11.

What can I do to keep my blood sugar even? Any tips for keeping things steady? I'm vegetarian, so no meat suggestions please.

Try chia seeds. They help stabilize blood sugar levels and help keep you feeling full. Also high fat stuff that helps me feel less hungry and stabilize things like avocado, almonds, and even cheese would probably help. Hope those suggestions help some :)

It’s really funny that I read this while eating my lunch. Hunger is also a trigger for me. I use to get the worst aura’s while cooking dinner. I always thought it was related to my meds because I take them at the same side. I then started to notice the same thing would happen after I took a run in the morning. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how big of an impact hunger played…

I understand getting angry hungry! On a pervious thread, I said I get so hungry that I’ll break into lunch a 9:30 (that’s after eating all my snacks). I keep backup meals in the office for days like those.

Complex Carbs = Happy Blood Sugar

Also high fat stuff that helps me feel less hungry and stabilize things like avocado, almonds, and even cheese would probably help

I think I'm a carb whore, because I ushally don't feel full unless I have some carbs with dinner. It doesnt have much, just a little something something (I'm not talking simple carbs either).

I'm terrible for carbs too :/ but actually they don't seem to help that much. I think I have a tendency to fill up on carbs where I don't feel full enough.

I'm also horribly, disgustingly moody and angry if I'm hungry. If I don't have food it's everyone else's fault, and I'm unbearable until I eat. According to my mother I've always been that way lol.

horribly, disgustingly moody and angry if I'm hungry.

My wife and I are the same way, and my wifes only problem is me :)

When it comes to food, I personally think balance is key. Actually, I feel the same way about life..... to bad my meds ruin my coordination :roflmao:

Alright, I'm done with the bad jokes... for now...

I actually have Type 1 diabetes in addition to E, so I carefully watch my carb intake. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day, I eat small meals throughout the day, consisting of high fiber veggies, whole grain, skinless poultry. Fruit juice and white flour are high carbs and can easily alter your glucose levels as can sugar. Once it falls again, that's what causes the irritability, shaking, crazy feeling.

I'm terrible for carbs too :/ but actually they don't seem to help that much. I think I have a tendency to fill up on carbs where I don't feel full enough.

I'm also horribly, disgustingly moody and angry if I'm hungry. If I don't have food it's everyone else's fault, and I'm unbearable until I eat. According to my mother I've always been that way lol.

i am kinda the same way, it is easy to tell when i am hungry and need to eat a comfort food, but then they tend to put me to sleep, like a club sanwich or something.

Back
Top Bottom