All Our Favorite E-Friendly Beverages

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
So many of us in here struggle with what to drink. It seems caffeine, aspertame, refined sugar, alcohol are out for most everyone.

So, this is your chance. Share your favorite non-caffeine, non-aspertame, non-refined-sugar, non-alcohol drink recipies and brands in here. Maybe we'll all find something new that we love!

I'll start us off with a few recipies. I've posted some of them elsewhere, but I'll do it again so everything is in the same place.

Ginger Ale

In a 16 oz glass, grate 1 heaping tsp ginger (with a micro-grater)
Add Stevia to taste (be careful that it's just pure stevia without artificial sweetener added)
Add plain carbonated soda water and stir
Add ice

Best Virgin Bloody Mary's EVER

Put through your juicer:
  • 4 lbs heirloom tomatoes picked right out of your garden, if you have 'em. Regular fresh tomatoes from the store if you don't
  • The corn cut off a dozen ears of fresh corn in season. 2 cups frozen uncooked corn out of season.
Put the resulting juice in the blender, and blend in:
  • Powdered Wasabi (japenese horseradish) to taste. I like it HOT!
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Pour into glasses with stir sticks made from fresh carrots and celery. Yum!

Pina Colada Protein Smoothies
(Delicious. If you are staying away from soy you can leave out the tofu, but it won't be as creamy)
Put the following into a blender and blend until smooth:
  • 1 cup cubed pineapple
  • 1 mango (just the fruit, not seed or skin!)
  • 3 large bananas
  • 1 can coconut milk (read can to make sure there is no dairy, sugar, or preservatives)
  • 1 eight ounce package soft silken tofu (it has to be this kind or it won't work. Leave it out if you are staying away from soy, but it won't be creamy)
  • Ice to the top of the blender container

Chocolate Mocha Frappe
An acceptable alternative to Starbucks and McDonalds Frappes! Good for those with no dairy, and who can tolerate a miniscule (almost nonexistant) amount of caffeine and refined sugar. This keeps for about 3 days in the frig. I store it in the frig right in the blender container, and take it out every morning and briefly reblend, and then have it with breakfast. It isn't icy, but it's still really good.

In a blender, blend until smooth:
  • 1 cup soy milk (can substitute coconut milk or almond milk)
  • 1 tablespoon instant decaf coffee
  • 3 oz of soft silken tofu (this is what makes it creamy. Must be soft silken to work. You can substitute 1 very ripe banana)
  • 4 ounces very high quality, low sugar chocolate, melted in the microwave (at least 84% cacao, most of the rest of the ingredients should be cocoa butter)
  • Stevia to taste
  • 2 cups ice

"Sangria"
Stir together in a big serving pitcher:
  • 4 cups red or white grape juice
  • 2 cups tropical flavored tea, cooled (you can leave this out)
  • 2 sliced oranges
  • 1/2 sliced lime
  • 1/2 sliced lemon
Leave it in the refrigerator overnight to steep. Then enjoy.

Sparkling Lemonade
In a pitcher stir together
juice from 2 lemons
1 tbs lemon zest
Stevia to taste
3 cups plain soda water
Pour over ice

And there's always the standbyes: iced tea, O'Douls

That's all I have time for now. Anybody got some more?

Last edited:
actually, if i have a bit of caffiene i have fewer seizures. makes me easier to deal with to.

I love expressos and other high caffene coffees like that. I'll just usually make a really strong pot of decaf coffee. I buy coffee flavoring that you can get in the grocery store and put milk into it. I also have a steemer, the kind that use at the fancy coffee shops to put steamed milk into the coffee. If I have time and I'm feeling creative, I'll do that and it really tastes the same, plus it saves alot of money doing that way.

i usually can drink a can of soda without an issue, though i have to be careful about stimulants because i am already taking ADHD meds too.
lol my friend also epileptic and medicated for ADHD is sitting there drinking 2 huge cans of monster (popular energy drink in the USA) and i'm just like "what the :soap: krystal are you out of your mind!?!?" lol

i love to make myself frozen coffee drinks in the summertime, i usually use (for a single drink)

2-3 oz of my favorite decaf coffee
about 6 oz milk or milk substitute if you can't have dairy
a squirt of chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, caramel, vanilla coffee creamer, or some crushed soft pepperment candies. chocolate and pepperment are my favorite to put together
a cup of ice
then i put it into my blender until it's smooth-water ice kind of consistancy, but what you like is up to you.

then i pour it into a fancy glass and top it with whipped cream and sprinkles and sometimes i put a little umbrella in it-hey, when you live in a small town in southern NJ sometimes you just want to feel fancy :roflmao:
my cousin and i also like to make fruit smoothies or milkshakes and do that and just lounge on our lawn chairs and pretend we're rich lol

my favorite milkshake is vanilla, and i put a small crushed ice cream cone in it, it tastes really good :woot:

actually, if i have a bit of caffiene i have fewer seizures. makes me easier to deal with to.

That's funny. I know it's true of me.

My favorite beverage isn't very creative or original, I'm afraid. Green tea suits me, although I think its health benefits are sometimes exaggerated.

I drink it because it has a much gentler caffeine lift than coffee, so I can drink it all day if I want. It's also very affordable at the Asian grocery store. I avoid the premium teas sold elsewhere and get it imported straight from China.

I also drink black tea, but have to limit the amount because it has twice the caffeine of green.

i have sever adiction to caffine, i drink 4 or more cups of strong coffee a day. goes back to the days i would work 18 hour days. after all these years of drinking offee my system can't go more than a day or two without the caffine.

1/2&1/2

i used to drink community, a regional brand from new orleans, like that and need to start that again. the dark roast, which decreases caffinee and boosts flavor cut with the decafe is the better choice.

I had to cut off all the caffeine from my life because of my heart, so I drink 1 coke a week.

I detest coffee and don't care for tea.

I drink a lot of water and drink root beer which has no caffeine and sprite.

Belinda

I used to be a caffeine freak but now blend vegetables and fruits in the morning and I take a supplement of red ginseng which gives you a boost and helps manage stress.

My morning shake usually stuffed into a twelve oz cup & is made up of....

-Strawberries
-Half a banana
-carrots
-kale & spinach
-blueberries
-peaches
-oats
-Coconut water

Gave up alcohol and this helps me with my mixing fix

I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and the rest of the day club soda. My dear friend bought me a Sodastream last year for Christmas so I can make my own seltzer. Also, good old H2O.
M

Rooibos tea. More antioxidants than green tea and a delightfully nutty flavor. Zero caffeine and zero diuretic effect. Add chai spices and a bit of coconut cream. Yummm....

Teechino (brand name). It's a roasted dandelion root beverage that isn't going to ever be coffee but it is really tasty in its own right. Great with a little coconut cream.

Crio Bru. Basically roasted ground cocoa nibs. Zero sugar. A bit of theobromine but no caffeine. Great if you want to make /12 & 1/2 coffee and Crio Bru to cut down your caffeine intake.

San Peligrino sparkling mineral water with a bit of unsweetened lemon. lime, or cranberry juice for color and flavor.

Kombucha which is a fermented tea. The fermentation process eats up most of the sugar and caffeine but it varies by brand.

I drink Kedem juices watered down. It's kosher---we eat a lot of Kosher food in our house.

Lemonade mix with grape fruit Juice unsweetened.your taste buds react in lovely way

Back
Top Bottom