Alternative therapies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yes.

Stacy has tried:
  • Pseudo LGIT diet - good results for her
  • GARD diet - bad results for her
  • EEG neurofeedback - excellent results for her
  • Acupressure - no help with seizure control
  • Aromatherapy - no help with seizure control
  • Regimented sleep schedule - excellent results when she sticks to it
  • Vitamins/minerals - good results for her

• Vitamins/minerals

Bernard - My Primary is looking into this
avenue now; he knows I can't take certain
supplements because of toxicity - so a
multi-vitamin is out of picture, so he has
to think of something, it's frustrating when
all the lab work is so fluctuating.

Does Stacy have her lab work-up being
fluctuated? If so - how did they managed
to stabilize it?

It's also frustrating because my Doctor
also knows I'm on very low income and
Folic Acid alone is just isn't cutting it, and
even though I eat and drink all this other
stuff to sustain the daily requirements,
my body isn't absorbing it and going out
and purchasing individualized specifics is
just going to be way too expensive when
they only come in like 28 to 30 caplets to
gel caps a jar?

We haven't had a full lab workup on Stacy in a while. We used to have it done every couple of months when her primary was actively adjusting the supplements. That activity tapered off when she started to get things nomalized (in balance).

Right now, I'm taking high-potency multi vitamin packs as well as 1/2tsp of epsom salt everyday. So far, it's going well. I went from having grand mals every 12-14 days to 1 petite mal in 28 days.

Hi all, I have a very rare type of epilepsy. I have only use B vitamins to control my seizures. I have been using Pyridoxine HCL (vitamin B6) for nearly 37 years (I was five months old when my doctor first administered B6). Vitamin B6 was the only medication I used to control my seizures until I was 19. At 19 years of age, after I did much research into the B vitamins and many discussions with my doctors, I substituted one of my 50 mg Pyridoxine HCL tablets with a multi B complex tablet that contained 50 mg of Pyridoxine HCL (I now use a B100 complex). I did this because I heard that the B vitamins work well together and I wanted to stop an aura that I was experiencing almost every morning. The addition of the multi B complex tablet has stopped this aura. Before I started to take a multi B complex tablet I did not experience any signs of depletion of any of the other 12* vitamins due to the 350 mg/day of vitamin B6 that I was taking at that time (2 mg/day = 100% EC RDA for men). On a nutritional bases I eat plenty of oily fish (Omega 3), take a magnesium (Mg) tablet and less often an amino acid tablet. It is the B6 that is doing the vast majority of the work when it comes to controlling my seizures. Antiepileptic Drugs/Anticonvulsants have never had any positive effects on my seizures. I have been 17-18 years clear of all my major seizures (TCs, CPs, SPs, MCs… etc.). Also I have not needed to see a neurologist for more than ten years.

Andrew

*There are 13 'true' vitamins in total (4 fat soluble and 9 water soluble), 14 if the newly discovered vitamin PQQ is accepted as one of the B vitamins. Of the 9 water soluble vitamins 8 are B vitamins the remainder is vitamin C.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom