Anyone capable of drinking, driving or both?

How many medications are you taking to contol your seizures?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I havent had a drink in 3 years, Im over due and think I will celebrate everything at once this coming weekend. Im going to party with me and me alone (like i had a choice). Its probably what I need to balance me out! I've been off the chain for the last few days, totally unbareable.

When people say I can have a drink do they mean they go out and get drunk or do they mean a glass of wine or a beer. I mean if u get drunk then getting drunk cancels out the drugs you've just taken, dilutes them in your system making them worthless.

Are we a forum filled with social drinkers ?:D:D:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I admit, I do get drunk now and again.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean though, and I did try and do some additional research first! Everything I've read suggests drinking isn't good because it increases your chance of forgetting your medication, it lowers your tolerance to alcohol, and you could have unexpected reactions to it when on a new medication (so I've always been very cautious). I've never heard anything like you'd said! If anything, you'd think the opposite would be true since alcohol essentially dehydrates your body. Do you have any links? I'd definitely love to read more! I know there's risks to my behaviour, however I've always been responsible in managing them so that I could try and balance out living like others my age and taking care of myself. If there's a valid argument against it, I'd better read up and smarten up!

When people say I can have a drink do they mean they go out and get drunk or do they mean a glass of wine or a beer.
Everyone has different tolerances -- some people (like me) are stable on their meds, and can have a glass or two (or more) of alcohol without getting sloppy-drunk, and without lowering their seizure threshold. Others may be more vulnerable, and even the tiniest drink makes them too tipsy, too tired, or too seizure-prone. Seizure meds tend to cause alcohol to be absorbed more quickly so it's important to keep that in mind if you drink. And as Katiered says, alcohol can cause dehydration and fatigue, and potentially affect judgement. If any of those outcomes are problematic or triggering in anyway, then it's a good idea to drink with caution or not at all.

To me and what I've read over the years is..drink and ur playing Russian roulette with ur seizures...pure and simple ...The number of people I've read having a seizures 3 or 4 days after their last drink including myself is huge....I don't think its debatable 2 drinks might be cool but to me...what's the point...I only want more after that and if ur with friends and young its hard.
I decided....drive and stay off booze completely was better than partying have a seizure and lose ur licence....::D

I can't drive for two more months, which really sucks cuz me and my kids are sick and i need to get them to dr but having to rely on ppl and they they have their own lives

I can't drive for two more months, which really sucks cuz me and my kids are sick and i need to get them to dr but having to rely on ppl and they they have their own lives

Its a bitch but what can we do...hope ur kids are OK and the 2 months goes fast.

Well sure you can, just don't get pulled over.:mrt:

I have my license and can drive. I drink as a normal adult would as well. My meds never caused a problem.

I can not drink at all but I have more fun this way anyway because I am always like 'this' I tell people, ya I'm fucked up. I know. I have problems living with myself sure. But I blame society! They did this to me. "I went your public schools, I went to your churches and your institutional learning centers. And you say that I'm crazy?"
Some of you may remember this classic, that I referenced here; Suicidal Tendencies- Institutionalized

Driving - yes (seizures are nocturnal)
Drinking - I don't know (I've never been a drinker)

I'm able to do both but I don't drink because I don't want to. I never have, and I only have a glass of champagne on holidays. I've never been drunk in my life. I did get a little silly from a wine cooler 10 years ago at my brothers grad party. haha.
I can drive- Connecticut law required me to have my doctor fill out a form every 6 months with my seizure status and his opinion on whether I can drive or not. Also they wanted blood levels. Anyway, after 10 years I didn't have to do that anymore. I was so excited when the DMV sent me a letter saying they were closing my case because it has been 10 years and I don't have to fill out the form any more unless my condition changes. :clap:

I drink once in a blue moon when I am well established on a medication, but just the one, as I have the constitution of a dry roasted peanut. But I won't be drinking while I am on
clobazam.

However, I don't think I will ever drive again. In the UK you have to be seizure free for a year, but having gone 10 years free and then having one out of the blue, personally I don't think I could ever get behind the wheel of a car. It's an easier descion to make as hubby drives and I have good public transport and if I can remember to fill in the form I can get my free bus pass!

Q

I don't drink or drive now. I have'nt drove since June of 09 and I cant even remember the last time I had a drink, probably at a wedding years ago.
I'm on 3 different Meds now Trileptol, Vimpat, and Keppra so I really have to watch what I'm doing. I'm having surgery done on Sept. 18th so I'll see what happens after that, fingers crossed for control.

Cool tkopi- What kind of surgery did you say it was? And the docs all know about your meds right?

Back
Top Bottom