Anyone capable of drinking, driving or both?

How many medications are you taking to contol your seizures?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cool tkopi- What kind of surgery did you say it was? And the docs all know about your meds right?

Oh yeah my Dr's know all about my meds.
My surgery is going to be on my right temperal lobe. It's going to be a two part surgery where in the first surgery they are going to lay an electronic grid on my brain and then close me back up and wait for me to have a seizure telling them where exactly the seizure is at, then they will open me back up and remove both the grid and the bad part of my brain.
The Doctor say I should not be loosing any motor skills and should only be off work for 4 weeks and it should get my seizures to a point where they can be controlled by meds:clap::woot::banana:

I can drink just fine lol and still do the brit thing of having a stupid crazy binge most friday nights- I'm lucky that it doesn't seem to affect my seizures.

I've just turned 40 and even if I did make a year without a seizure and was able to apply for a licence, I don't think I'd bother learning to drive now. Guess it would be different if I was somewhere massive like the states, but in a country where you can travel from 1 end to the other in a day on the train, it's not really worth it given the rising costs etc.. :)

A lot more people than I thought can drive! That's nice to see. Personally I can't and I doubt I ever will be able to, my E is so uncontrolled these days.

But I don't have a problem with drinking. I can't handle a huge amount, so I have to remember my limits when I'm drinking.

I used to drive, up until a year ago. My seizures were fully controlled until pre-menopausal stuff started happening. Even then, at first my seizure activity was at night, so I didn't drive then. Then, a year ago, things ramped up and I started having them during the day and became more sensitive to light changes - even sunlight. So, now I have to not drive.

But I still enjoy my glass of wine many nights. If I do happen to tie one on, I wait until morning to take my phenobarbital - alcohol plus barbituates used to kill many people with E. I think if I drink a lot more than one day in a row it does effect my seizures, but it's hard to tell because hormones are the worst right now, so if I drink and the wrong hormones are high, then I'm in for it.

I am working on driving again. I have my license because cops never figured out it was seizure related when i crashed (i was always alone and it was never a big crash ie death related) But now I am a bit scared to drive tho its been almost 6 months since the last Tonic.

wow, I should really count myself lucky. Ive had 1 seizure ever that made me pass out. Of course it was while I was driving , and I was in a bad accident as a result. Its been almost 9 months, and my state law is 6 months. Slowly about to start driving again, but last time was the accident, so I'm in no rush. Been getting around by bicycle and rides from my wife.

As for alcohol I drink just like I did prior to ever having seizures.
I should state that I am (apparently, after reading others posts) on a very low dose. (500 mg Keppra 2x daily). But lets face it, alcohol in large doses is not good for anyone.

Again, thanks for all the support. Nice to know that Im not alone, and actually kind of a wake up call that I apparently have a very mild condition compared to some! Good luck to all of you.

Thanks to all who have answered this thread. To all the newbies on here or possibly ones who might have missed this thread, please feel free to answer.

I can drink and I can drive. The drinking really effects the dizziness relative to the medicine, so if I'm out, I cut it at a few drinks because I'm either driving or my friend doesn't want me hurling. If I'm drinking much, it's at home and I'm playing video games.

Again thanks for all the replies everybody! More answers welcome.

I can drive but drinking is a big no. I can have a drink but one beer equals 8 because the meds enhance the buzz. So to me it is not worth it.

Drink yes, drive no :( I have had 2 seizures when I was driving and now when I get behind the wheel I get all anxious and panic that I will have a seizure (the anxiety that I will have a seizure usually triggers one for me). Im 20 years old and it sucks. But oh well. Im happy for you though!!!

Hugs,
Janellie

I have never lost my license and am still driving. I will have a beer in the evening and occasionally more when out with friends but like others mentioned, if I have too much the hangover is bad.
I take 750 mgs. of generic Keppra daily and have not had a seizure since 2008. I may be having some nocturnal activity because sometimes when I wake in the morning, I've bitten my tongue. Luckily, I always have a warning when I am getting a seizure. I've never had a grand mal. Never hope to, either.
M

I can drive, just have to get a form filled out every few years. I am not supposed to drink, but do quite often anyways. I just got scolded by my neuro about it today, so I will probably lighten up. I have never had a seizure due to drinking (I've been seizure free since mid-high school, it's been 4 years now), but recently it's been making me pretty nauseous so I'm gonna back off to only one or two drinks, and only if they're actually good drinks (not that terrible college-party stuff). How do people deal with social gatherings, such as college parties, where there is a lot of heavy drinking going on? How do you respond if people ask why you're not drinking? I've found saying I have epilepsy is kind of a downer.

I have never lost my license and am still driving. I will have a beer in the evening and occasionally more when out with friends but like others mentioned, if I have too much the hangover is bad.
I take 750 mgs. of generic Keppra daily and have not had a seizure since 2008. I may be having some nocturnal activity because sometimes when I wake in the morning, I've bitten my tongue. Luckily, I always have a warning when I am getting a seizure. I've never had a grand mal. Never hope to, either.
M

I had 3-4 shots on Wild Turkey, mixed with soda on Saturday afternoon. (I know I shouldn't but.....). Felt awful all day Sunday, I guess it was a hangover.

I am working on driving again. I have my license because cops never figured out it was seizure related when i crashed (i was always alone and it was never a big crash ie death related) But now I am a bit scared to drive tho its been almost 6 months since the last Tonic.

I think if they suspect that you had a seizure, they can get a court order for your medical records. If the records show you have a history of recent seizures (anything other than simple partials) you can be charged and your insurance company can refuse to pay out for damages.

I can drive, and have never been restricted from doing so as seizures are nocturnal. I use common sense (and my neurologist trusts me on this), and don't drive if I don't feel up to it.
As for drinking, I've never been much of a drinker and now I avoid it completely.

I can't drive because of partial blindness. Drinking is no problem 99% of the time.
Edit: my wife insists I drive her crazy.

Last edited:
Drive - 6 months minimum after sz with doc sign off and DMV ok, I've got at least 5 months to go. Over last 12 years being legal I put over 80k on my Harley. Had plans for this year but now I'm a passenger, my poor cat bike is garaged. Drink - I use to love wine, I am able to take about a 2 ounce taste on a Friday night, then I switch to Ariel (non-alcohol) or just water.

Back
Top Bottom