Auras in nocturnal seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

resaebiunne

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone know what/how auras manifest in nocturnal seizures? I think I may have just had an aura but it could have just been from waking from a dream too. Basically in my dream there was this mold like substance and anytime I would touch it I would start to black out and curl my body outward even in my dream and then I woke up right before I almost completely got taken over and was fine.

I'm wondering because this seems like maybe it has happened before but I am not sure.

Hi Res,
I had to have a sleep study done and my Dr. found out I was having seizures in my sleep 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning. If you feel more tired than usual after sleeping a good nights sleep and maybe have a headache or seem a little out of it. You may want to go in for a sleep study. I had to have an e.e.g. and e.k.g. at the same time during the study. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Auras can present similarly to the way they do when you're awake -- they can be sensory (auditory/visual/tactile disturbances) and they can include motor components as well. Especially with nocturnal seizures there can be co-occurring or causal sleep apnea, so if you think that may be a factor it's worth getting tested.

But unless you are being monitored it can be tough to confirm a nocturnal aura, because of the resemblance to dreams or parasomnias (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasomnia_)

Back
Top Bottom