Back on The Keto Bandwagon For Life

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I stepped my phenobarbitol back by another pill. Now at 50% of the Rx and am sleeping great.

THAT is impressive! It is great. Is Doggo wondering about not having any job to do during the night? I am really so glad for you.

I am feeling very chipper after four days of following Perlmutter's directions and supplements and I have lost some weight which is always a good thing. I had chicken in sesame seeds and fried in olive oil for breakfast and set off the smoke detector! In the end it was a delicious breakfast! Adios!

Yes, my seizure alert dog is wondering about his job security.

The thing I notice most is that being hungry feels different when in ketosis. Instead of being low energy and lethargic, I feel laser sharp and full of energy like I could run down a wooly mammoth for dinner if necessary.

This alone gives credibility to the premise that ketosis would have been a fairly normal state of being for our paleolithic ancestors. Imagine if they had felt lethargic every time they got hungry and just sat there in the cave saying, "I'm too tired to go hunt". They would have died out in no time flat and we wouldn't be here.

I was a young woman in the days when young women wore rubber girdles and stockings to their city jobs even in the dog days of August. I was very thin. However I dieted anyway by being on one of the original high protein diets. I remember feeling so doomed about not being able to stay on that diet forever. I believed it would shorten my life. Everyone sensible said it was so BAD for me and I was a Reasonable Young Woman [Ha] so that diet was daring and unwise and I felt guilty about it, even as I knew very well that the minute I started to eat normally I would have to ride the subway to work in a seriously droopy state from which no recovery was possible. [I did not entertain the idea -- EVER -- of dropping out of the girdle.] In the meantime, while on the diet I cheerfully took on the MTA [subway] in August in a girdle and stockings. [I know now that the diet was probably working to reduce the undiagnosed seizures I now know I was having. I also fainted a few times on city streets, possibly because of the girdle! Oh my goodness.

AlohaBird, I am thrilled that the keto diet is helping you feel better overall and helping you reduce your seizure meds. I 100% agree that avoiding processed and refined foods and cutting simple carbs can be very beneficial. But I don't think whole grains should be entirely demonized. A recent study found real benefits for whole grains: See http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2087877 and http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/more-whole-grains-linked-with-lower-mortality-risk/
Some notable findings from the study:
Whole grain intake was associated with up to 9% lower overall mortality and up to 15% lower CVD-related mortality. For each serving of whole grains (28g/day), overall mortality dropped by 5%, and by 9% for CVD-related mortality.

Replacing refined grains and red meats with whole grains is also likely to lower mortality, according to the study. Swapping just one serving of refined grains or red meat per day with one serving of whole grains was linked with lower CVD-related mortality: 8% lower mortality for swapping out refined grains and 20% lower mortality for swapping out red meat.

Even Dr. Perlmutter recommends eating, in moderation "amaranth, buckwheat, rice (brown, white, wild), millet, quinoa, sorghum, teff and gluten-free oats," and has included whole grains in the diets in his earlier book.

I think there are probably many different routes to good dietary health. For some people, whole grains may be a *part* of the answer, just as for some people dairy (such as yogurt or kefir) may be part of the answer. Of course there are many other considerations to take into account including an individual's dietary and genetic history and health issues such as epilepsy. And grains haven't been shown to have a particularly beneficial effect vis-a-vis cancer prevention. I'm not on a soapbox for grains or against paleo, just adding a bit more "food for thought" to the discussion. :)

I want to stress that I don't in any way discount your experience, and I think you are providing terrifically helpful information for others (including me) looking for dietary changes that might help with seizure control and overall health.

For me it is so much a problem of conflicting prejudices that have, over time, changed and changed again. Feeling healthy does not count for much, having been discounted so often. Currently I am newly aware that my high cholesterol doesn't even count for much. In my case, according to Perlmutter, the configuration that shows up on my labs indicates health. Who knew? However, I CAN tell you that at this point NOBODY, not even Perlmutter, would cut through my prejudice against red meat.

Again, I appreciate your scrutiny. It counts!

AlohaBird, I am thrilled that the keto diet is helping you feel better overall and helping you reduce your seizure meds. I 100% agree that avoiding processed and refined foods and cutting simple carbs can be very beneficial. But I don't think whole grains should be entirely demonized. A recent study found real benefits for whole grains: See http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2087877 and http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/more-whole-grains-linked-with-lower-mortality-risk/
Some notable findings from the study:
Whole grain intake was associated with up to 9% lower overall mortality and up to 15% lower CVD-related mortality. For each serving of whole grains (28g/day), overall mortality dropped by 5%, and by 9% for CVD-related mortality.

Replacing refined grains and red meats with whole grains is also likely to lower mortality, according to the study. Swapping just one serving of refined grains or red meat per day with one serving of whole grains was linked with lower CVD-related mortality: 8% lower mortality for swapping out refined grains and 20% lower mortality for swapping out red meat.

Even Dr. Perlmutter recommends eating, in moderation "amaranth, buckwheat, rice (brown, white, wild), millet, quinoa, sorghum, teff and gluten-free oats," and has included whole grains in the diets in his earlier book.
Nak, I love you but no.

The stuff you are quoting has the same basic flaw. It is swapping out whole grain for refined grain, seeing a benefit, and then saying that whole grain is good for you. Whole grains are only less bad for you than refined grains. That doesn't make them beneficial.

Also swapping a serving of whole grain for a serving of meat is a meaningless exercise if the meat involved is factory farmed, processed, and otherwise full of chemicals and junk. Until you can show me a study with a serving of grass fed meat vs a serving of "healthy" whole grains, I'm staying grain free.

Also studies that are only looking at CVD mortality rates and whole grain are inherently flawed if they don't control for all the other lifestyle factors that correlate with people being told to eat whole grains. The same people who eat whole grains because they are health conscious, also exercise more, don't smoke, eat more veggies, etc.

Nowhere does Dr. Perlmutter say that grains are an essential part of a healthy diet. Just that some, such as rice are less bad for you than others (i.e. non-gluten containing). He points out the carb component of all grains as unhealthy.

The serving for serving swap that matters to me is that, if you include grain in your diet, you are cutting out something else if you want to maintain the same caloric intake. Grains are very UN-nutrient dense and very carb heavy. Two slices of wheat bread spike your insulin as much as a candy bar.

In a "calorie budget" if you are looking for optimal nutrition you have to pick the foods that are the most nutrient dense. If your calorie budget is unlimited (i.e. you are a healthy, lean, young man training for tri-athalons) then, sure, eat some rice or oatmeal.

Last edited:
I was a young woman in the days when young women wore rubber girdles and stockings to their city jobs even in the dog days of August. I was very thin. However I dieted anyway by being on one of the original high protein diets. I remember feeling so doomed about not being able to stay on that diet forever. I believed it would shorten my life. Everyone sensible said it was so BAD for me and I was a Reasonable Young Woman [Ha] so that diet was daring and unwise and I felt guilty about it, even as I knew very well that the minute I started to eat normally I would have to ride the subway to work in a seriously droopy state from which no recovery was possible. [I did not entertain the idea -- EVER -- of dropping out of the girdle.] In the meantime, while on the diet I cheerfully took on the MTA [subway] in August in a girdle and stockings. [I know now that the diet was probably working to reduce the undiagnosed seizures I now know I was having. I also fainted a few times on city streets, possibly because of the girdle! Oh my goodness.

OhMyGoodness. Your girdle story makes me sweat just to think of it. Yikes.

For me it is so much a problem of conflicting prejudices that have, over time, changed and changed again. Feeling healthy does not count for much, having been discounted so often. Currently I am newly aware that my high cholesterol doesn't even count for much. In my case, according to Perlmutter, the configuration that shows up on my labs indicates health. Who knew? However, I CAN tell you that at this point NOBODY, not even Perlmutter, would cut through my prejudice against red meat.

Again, I appreciate your scrutiny. It counts!
Dr. Permutter would be perfectly happy if you just stayed with lots of seafood.

The thing about grass fed meat is that it has all the wonderful Omega 3 benefits of fish.

One thing paleo and vegetarian people agree on is an abhorrence of factory farming. In addition to being cruel, it is unsanitary and very unhealthy for the animals. I don't want to eat an animal that was sick.

The reason factory farmed animals need to have so many antibiotics pumped into them is because they are eating a fundamentally un-natural diet for their species. Cows are not meant to eat grain. It makes them fat and sick. The only thing the meat producers care about is the fat part.

I like knowing that my T-bone comes from a cow that led a happy cow life peacefully grazing on Hawaiian grass.

Also just as an aside thought. If grains make cows fat and sick even with their multiple stomachs to aid in digestion, is it very surprising that they make us fat and sick too?

So, after 10 days of this I have lost 7.5 lbs and the thing that pleases me more is that I have lost an inch off each of my measurements (bust, waist, hips).

Plus a 25% reduction in my phenobarbitol with none of the sleep disturbances (trouble getting to sleep, lots of waking up with auras) that I was having when trying to do this same step back just a few weeks ago.

I'd say it's working.

That is so impressive and such a relief. Does cutting down on the phenobarbitol help in terms of you feeling better all day? I think it would make a difference for me.
I am going to the epileptologist tomorrow morning with 20 pages of notes. You can't say I don't give the medical records department a workout.

I think the pheno is a general system wide depressant so sure, reducing it helps in term of all over energy level. Also 7.5 lbs is not a whole lot but it is about a pint shy of a full gallon. Imagine carrying a gallon of milk around for the whole day. It would get heavy.

The thing for me is that ketosis is the key that unlocks the vicious cycle. Seizures, meds, no energy, no exercise, weight gain, more seizures, more meds........

It allows me to get in there and start the cycle going back the other way. Ketosis, energy, motivation to exercise, weight loss, less meds, more energy........

Best wishes for your epileptology appointment. Don't leave until they give you some straight answers.

Just so you know I'm not always a bloodthirsty carnivore...... tonight's dinner was totally vegan. I had a big bowl of homemade guacamole (I was missing SoCal Mexican cuisine). Followed by some locally grown (by my neighbor) pineapple with some almonds and a square of 100% cacao chocolate for dessert.

My appetite seems to be down regulating all by itself. I just can't eat as much as i normally would.

Just to re-iterate. In no way is this a "willpower and white knuckles" kind of dieting of self deprivation and stress. This feels totally natural and effortless.

Hi
I have been sticking pretty close to the ketogenic diet, I will end up eating a more glycemically friendly diet. I went to the dr yeaterday, he decided it was time to try a new drug.
I am on Dilantin, Onfi and Keppra, he wasted me to add fymcompa.
I went home and as soon as I read the black box warning about psychotic behaviour changes I decided, Thanks but no thanks.
I have been on that terror train when taking Vimpat........

I would rather just relax. Avocadoes are yummy!!

Good for you. Don't take anything you don't want to take.
I've never heard on Onfi or Fymcompa. Why three meds already? How is your seizure control?
Do you notice a difference when you stick to the low end of the glycemic scale?

Avocados are yummy. I also make mayo with avocado oil sometimes.

Yes, I am on 3 meds and still having seizures.
But, I made a decision and when I make a decision I trust myself and I do what I feel best.
That prescription for Fymcopa...... It has all the warnings of all the others. I tried Vimpat a few years ago and I had a full blown psychosis, paranoia, and I had a melt down when I read the crap about Fymcopa, so my executive decision is, no thanks.
I had never heard of it either. It seems responsible to eat a balanced diet and up here in Canada we have low THC, high CBD Marijuana.

I am halfway through reading Dr. Perlmutter's new book, Brain Maker in which he concentrates on the gut-brain connection. He is bringing out some very interesting information about mental health and the direct impact that the gut microbiome has on it. Happy intestinal bugs, happy brain.

Perhaps the reason that these AEDs often lead to psychological symptoms is that they mess with your gut microbes. The seratonin the body needs for mood balance is mostly created in the gut. And that is just one of many things that can get out of kilter if your gut bugs are not happy.

But I sure do miss ice cream!

I used to make awesome keto ice cream. Strawberries are the best. You can make ice cream with just heavy cream and strawberries. I also tried adding vanilla and egg. Blend the strawberries up with the cream before putting it in the ice cream maker. They're really sweet, low GI, and very low carb. The only problem I had was that when you store it in the freezer it gets rock hard. I read about adding some kind of alcohol to make it softer.

I don't have an ice cream maker but I put solidly frozen bananas in the Vitamix with coconut cream and a couple of egg yolks and it makes a wonderful "soft serve" consistency ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom