Back on The Keto Bandwagon For Life

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This book is the best all around complete guide to fats and oils I have ever encountered:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Know-Your-Fats-Understanding-Cholesterol/dp/0967812607/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433485574&sr=1-1&keywords=know+your+fats+mary+enig"]Know Your Fats : The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol: Mary G. Enig: 9780967812601: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515K-ktyeUL.@@AMEPARAM@@515K-ktyeUL[/ame]

Dr. Enig was speaking out and writing about how wrong the fat-phobia of the past few decades has been long before butter became fashionable again.

That is the name of the book my library has. I intend on reading it. I was wondering what you know about the Inuit diet, since most of their caloric intake is fat, and they don't have heart disease or obesity like we do in the US. The Inuit diet came up in my search for the Paleo diet. I know they are/were hunter gatherers, and don't eat many fruits and vegetables. I am still trying to figure out why I cannot digest fats, generally speaking.

First of all, until you have really sorted out your fats, you can't be sure that you do have a problem digesting all fats in any general sense.
Most actual medical problems dealing with the inability to digest fats have to do with the pancreas or the gallbladder. Are either of those an issue for you?

The Inuit are a wonderful example of people living perfectly healthy lives without any carbs. There is some speculation that they eat the undigested contents of caribou stomach as so they get a little bit of plant matter but still, that would be a "side dish" in their diet.

They are basically the "poster children" for the ketogenic diet. There are other hunter gather groups that take in a much higher amount of carbs like the Hadza digging up their "bush potatoes" in east Africa. I don't think that such examples prove that either diet is ideal, only that humans are incredibly adaptable.

Also, any time we base anything on tribes such as these we have to remember that they are living relics at the margins of where humanity can survive. By the time any "modern" anthropologist has gotten there to record their lifestyle, it is far from a thriving society. It is just a few people barely getting by.

This is a very well presented video about ketosis by a lady I respect greatly, Nora Gedguadas. She is the author of Primal Body, Primal Mind (and has a website by the same name). She is also a neurofeedback practitioner.
She first got interested in ketosis because she saw how much it helped her neurologically challenged clients (ADHD, bipolar, depression, seizures) better make use of the neurofeedback process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZ8u2NUvy0

I do not have pancreas or gallbladder problems that I know of. Recent bloodwork came back within limits, except TSH (Thyroid test). My creatinine levels were at the very bottom of the range (expected with MMD). I will have to investigate further.

This is a very interesting article about how years of eating the wrong fats and/or inadequate fat in the diet can lead to the gallbladder not functioning right. Its job is to produce the bile you need to break down fat.
The article also gives some helpful suggestions as to how to get your gallbladder back online again.

http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2012/04/are-you-digesting-fats/

I have read a couple of articles from the above website. I did find it beneficial. The problem with my MMD2 is that the villi stop functioning properly. My understanding is that they lose their distinctiveness, and subsequently don't absorb nutrients properly and that the whole digestive process is slowed down. I will continue to explore this subject, as I do think that answers may be awaiting my discovery.

Damaged and improperly absorbing intestinal villi are also the hallmark of the digestive version of gluten sensitivity.

Aloha, I have tried small amounts of coconut oil, like 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon the first couple of times, with only a strange feeling in my throat and lungs. I read that coconut oil can have an antiflammatory effect on lung tissue. Regardless, today I tried 1/2 tbs and have had heartburn for hours, just like with other oils, and certain nuts. I have never cared for the coconut taste, or smell. I will lkely continue to at least try very small amounts. It's high smoke point is appealing to me. The high smoke point suggests it has greater viscosity. It works well in my ceramic pan.

It is very anti-inflammatory for your whole body.

If you find the taste doesn't agree with you, there is something called MCT oil which takes the Medium Chain Triglycerides out of c-nut oil and puts them in a purified state into a bottle. It stays liquid even at cold temps. It has been used a lot in the ketogenic protocol for kids because it mixes well into smoothies and such.

Back
Top Bottom