Being confident or otherwise comfortable with your neurologist

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jun

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ive been in a bit of a delemma for the past year.
Ive been taking the same two AED meds for a long period of time now, and its only been in the past year that I feel like theres a trend (ie: roughly once a month rather than “oh hey, let the seizure happen whenever”).

After my child neurologist recommended me see an adult neurologist, Ive been seeing the same doctor, but over the past year, when Ive tried to take a more proactive approach to decrease the frequency of my seizures, and talk it over with my neurologist...its like his opionion or the highway....any suggestiions or opinions I bring up, im paraphrasing here, but its like “ sure, then go ahead with what youu’ve heard online or throigh another doctor”.....so i decided to go to my family doctor and get a referral to another neurologist. I thought maybe I wouldnt have to work for my healtth and find someone who would take the time to listen and explain and dicuss, but I went recently (2nd time seeing this new neurologist), and it felt like I was ordering fast food. He asked me how I was, I told him my frequency of seizures was increasing, and he suggested a new medication...the same one I was hesitant about taking the first time I saw him.....its like I was in and out in less than 5 minutes, and realizing going down the elevator “wait, what...what just happened...do I really feel comfortable changing meds”.....and I asked him what happens if theres a bad reaction or the steps needed if I need to change meds, and he was literally like “whe’ll see when when and if we get there”

The other problem with this new neurologist is that its very inconvenient to see him...1 appointment in 6-8 months...no calling up and asking to see him as soon as possible or etc. Atleast with my previous neurologist, I could call and make an appointment for a week or two after. I know everyones situation is different, but its frustrating.

On one hand, I want to try this new medication, but on the other, if I start taking this new med, I have to stick with this new neurologist...because its not like I can go to my previous neurologist and say “Ive been seeing this new neurologist and taking this new medication....can you renew it for me or reassess my condition”

Are all doctors like this....the feeling of wanting you in and out ASAP rather than taking the time to make you feel relaxed and having an honest 15-30 minute discussion about your overall health and the future direction.

I would love to know what other people’s experiences are and any opinions about mine as well.

Truly appreciate every comment in advance.

Many thanks!

Mine are pretty much the same. I get into fights with my doctors. Every time I see him it's the same thing try this new med other doctors have giving me so I know they don't work for me. I have a V.N.S it doesn't help I've had 3 now the wires detach and I have to get another. I have seizures everyday on both sides of the brain, I lost my Son to a horrific accident where he was shot in the head by his best friend. I need some hope and these doctor's sure don't know.
Good luck and God bless

I saw my local neuro from 2002 - 2011. He was really nice but all he seemed to do was adjust / increase meds, it seemed every time i went to see him he’d just increase my meds or put me on another med.
There were a couple of times I queried things which I thought were seizure activity and he told me they weren’t related to the seizures. Also he had me on neurontin at one stage, both my mum and I told him the side effects and the issues I was having mainly bad moods and tiredness, instead of decreasing it or taking me of the med he increased it which made things worse.

In 2009 my local neuro told me he couldn’t do much more so suggested surgery and referred me to an epiologist in the city who I saw in mid 2010.

I had the surgery on 2011 and now go through an epilepsy clinic in the city
I now see my neuro at the clinic at the hospital where I had my surgery for regular check ups. I’ve found the neuros at the clinic aren’t so pushy in increasing meds and will answer all my questions or tell me if I’m overthinking. When I asked the neuros at the clinic the same questions I’d asked my local neuro they agreed it was seizure related.
I do only talk to my neuro when I’m at clinic, the time I wait between appointments depends on how I’m going. But if I have any questions or concerns I have an epilepsy nurse or neuropsychologist I can email who work at the hospital/ with the neuro so they’ll either answer my questions or ask my neuro and get back to me.

Last edited:
Jun, your situation sounds almost identical to mine. I have emailed my neuro 5 times in the last two months and I have still not gotten a response. I have also tried getting into two other ones; one responded and was completely honest (praise Jesus) and said that she was completely covered up with patients, but referred me to a couple of other docs. I called one, and still haven't heard back from him either. Trying to get an appointment is a joke, and when I do, its just as you said: his way or the highway, pile on more meds instead of discussing other options, or just get surgery....like I can afford that. Plus I'm 51--what's the point?? Sigh.....

When this all started back in 2009 for me, the first neurologist I saw seemed ok. He put me on Lamictal and everything seemed to go back to normal. Then, fast forward to 2014 when the seizures came back and haven't gone away since. Before they came back (2010-2014), I was still going to see him. However, he was a 30+ minute drive away (plus I had to pay for parking). Whenever the seizures came back, he started the usual "let's try this medication" and I'll see you again in 3-6 months (or whatever it was)... meanwhile my life was on hold for AT LEAST 6 months because I couldn't drive.

Finally, I realized, "This guy is essentially just telling me take two aspirin and call him in the morning!" (or 6 months) Plus I'm having to waste 30+ minutes to get there and 30+ minutes to get back! I would tell him how many episodes (that I knew of) and everything and he would just shake his head (as if he was "paying attention"... for all I know, he was playing tic-tac-toe with himself :roll: ). Then he'd just "up" my medication (or do nothing) and tell me to set another appointment in 3 or 6 months and walk out...

Well that was a waste of time! (and money!)

The one I am currently seeing is at least in my town and only about a 10 minute drive, but I feel like a lab rat... "Let's try this medication..." He listens and has an assistant that takes notes and writes down my seizure incidents that I've brought with me, but like I said, he tries new medications which in turn just makes me feel like a lab rat.

Only one, so far, has made me get a rash, which I just quit taking and notified his nurse that, "Hey, this stuff is making me breakout! I've stopped taking it!"

Last edited:
When this all started back in 2009 for me, the first neurologist I saw seemed ok. He put me on Lamictal and everything seemed to go back to normal. Then, fast forward to 2014 when the seizures came back and haven't gone away since. Before they came back (2010-2014), I was still going to see him. However, he was a 30+ minute drive away (plus I had to pay for parking). Whenever the seizures came back, he started the usual "let's try this medication" and I'll see you again in 3-6 months (or whatever it was)... meanwhile my life was on hold for AT LEAST 6 months because I couldn't drive.

Finally, I realized, "This guy is essentially just telling me take two aspirin and call him in the morning!" (or 6 months) Plus I'm having to waste 30+ minutes to get there and 30+ minutes to get back! I would tell him how many episodes (that I knew of) and everything and he would just shake his head (as if he was "paying attention"... for all I know, he was playing tic-tac-toe with himself :roll: ). Then he'd just "up" my medication (or do nothing) and tell me to set another appointment in 3 or 6 months and walk out...

Well that was a waste of time! (and money!)
My 1st neuro was like that but the difference is he was in my home town, I live in a small country town with just 2 generalised neuros.
I would go see him when I had a few seizures and give him print out of what had happened. The time i had seen him depended on how bad my seizures were, every time I saw him he would increase one of my meds.
It seemed like every 2 years he would change meds because I had gotten to the highest dose of the other meds. He had put me on my 5th medication in 2009 when he suggested surgery & referred me to an epiologist.

I'd a few times where I was doing weird things in the middle of the night and asked him if they were seizure related. He told me no it was sleep walking. I didnt agree because I didnt have a history of sleep walking and when id have those events id wake up feeling lie crap witha bad headache. When I asked the epiologist about it he said im 99% sure you're having seizure activity in the middle of the night.

Now I go to an epilepsy clinic in the city at the hospital where I had my brain surgery. It is about 3 hours drive but takes me 4 hours each way on the train but it's worth it as the neuros there listen, they answer my question and dont just mess with meds. If they want to adjust my meds they check with me 1st. The clinic I go to has just started doing video conferences for patients like me who have trouble getting there. I had my last appt in Dec which I did via video conference on my ipad at work :roflmao:.

Last edited:
I'm a little different from you. All the neruos around here that deal with a VNS are about a 45 minutes away. Luckily I have family members who are able to take me.

I've been with the same neuro for about 10 years. He rarely makes changes to my meds, usually only the dosage. I don't know how long I've been taking the same meds. I've asked him about stop taking a med or try something else but he doesn't want to because the ones I'm taking 'Are working good for me'.
Tegretol.

Things are almost done with the other condition I have so I'll start looking after that.

I've been with the same neuro for about 10 years. He rarely makes changes to my meds, usually only the dosage. I don't know how long I've been taking the same meds. I've asked him about stop taking a med or try something else but he doesn't want to because the ones I'm taking 'Are working good for me'.
Tegretol.

I’ve only been seeing my current neuro since 2016 as the other neuro I saw at the clinic left. At our 1st appt he added zonegran to the tegretol and Keppra then slowly adjusted the zonegran until he got the right dose. He doesn’t touch my meds too much now and this does seem to be the best combination that’s helped keep control the seizures. At my last review I was going the best I’d ever been and asked the neuro if he’d think about reducing or taking me off Tegretol or keppra but he doesn’t want to mess with meds as long as I’m still having seizures.

Are all doctors like this....the feeling of wanting you in and out ASAP rather than taking the time to make you feel relaxed and having an honest 15-30 minute discussion about your overall health and the future direction.

I would love to know what other people’s experiences are and any opinions about mine as well.

Not all doctors are like that. I'd say 4 outta of 10 doctors are "good". By good I mean a understanding bed side manner. They listen to your medical situation, complaints, questions, etc. The two of you then discuss a course of action: meds, tests, etc.

Over the years I've seen at least 10 different neurologists. My first was a pediatric neurologist I seen when I was 12-18yrs. He was ok from what I remember. He would ask how I was doing on my meds, effects, any concerns, etc. Then would make adjustments
if needed. Once I was 18 (adult) I was referred to another neurologist.

That neurologist originally picked up where the pediatric neurologist left off. But wasn't that good, not really a listener, changing meds to fast, etc. So I had to change neurologists. The next one wasn't much better, along with the next two. When I was scheduled to see another neurologist I was losing hope in doctors. This time I was in the waiting room, and had a CPS. They still failed to get me on the right track. :(

From '92-'97 I was seen by one pediatric neurologist. Between '98-'00 I was seen by six different neurologists. The last one had me believing I was just suffering from migraines.

It wasn't until I had two grand mal seizures in '01 that I found the neurologist that I needed. This neurologist got be back on aeds, and made proper evaluations. Each appointment was productive and informative. All my concerns, questions, opinions were listened to. The only regret I have is I didn't have my RTLS back when I was still seeing this neurologist. Because of my long term aeds use I ended up needing my gall bladder out, and IBS. But I wasn't ready for the surgery then.

Unfortunately that neurologist left and I was on to #9. This neurologist continued with the aeds, but got me to come around to have the surgery. Once I was convinced I was ready, and a good candidate, I agreed. On 5/13/19 will mark 5 years after my surgery. :)
After my surgery I was referred to my #10 neurologist. Because #9 was focusing on Epilepsy research / surgery studies. This new neurologist is ok, but we bump heads a little.
But I'm hopeful I will not have to change neurologists. I only need to go in for a yearly evaluations. :)

I had a long winding, bumpy road with neurologists. A lot of bumping heads, arguments,
and many compromises. But I eventually got to a "seizure free" point in my life.

Remember it's your body, you decide what goes into it. If something doesn't feel/look right, speak up. If you don't seem to be getting along with your neurologist, at may be time for a change. Just remember you both need to listen to each other. If both are yelling, then nobodies listening.

Hi Jun,

I have seen many different neurologist over the yrs. and I found that having my family Dr. refer me to an Epileptologist at a Epilepsy Center which are usually at university hospitals or big hospitals was the best thing to do. It takes awhile to get in to see the Dr. but these Drs. specialize in epilepsy only and I like how my Dr. did a DNA test on me to see if I was drug resistant or what seizure med would work the best for me.
I found seeing local neuros a pain because they just try to push the drugs and my local neuros don't have the equipment to do all the detailed testing in my hometown compared to when I went to the Epilepsy Center and they were way ahead of my local neuros. Ask your family Dr. to refer you to an Epilepsy Center and start seeing an Epileptologist and you will see a change for the better. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hello. I have also seen 4 or 5 different neurologists, including the pediatric one. The changes were mostly due to changes in insurance. I like my current neuro a lot. Trying to see him is almost impossible, though. I needed refills on my AEDs, and I wouldn't be able to see him directly until the end of July, and had to settle for an appt with the physicians assistant.

needed refills on my AEDs, and I wouldn't be able to see him directly until the end of July, and had to settle for an appt with the physicians assistant.

If I need refills and don't have any left on my prescription the pharmacy can contact my dr and have them refilled. My neuro's office has a website that I can log on to and get a prescription refill. I've never had any problems using them either way and never had to see the dr. Just don't wait until the last minute to get them refilled by doing these. It might take a few days or a week for the refill to happen.

My neuro's office has a website that I can log on to and get a prescription refill. I've never had any problems using them either way and never had to see the dr. Just don't wait until the last minute to get them refilled by doing these. It might take a few days or a week for the refill to happen.
That’s a great idea Valerie.
I only see my neuro every 4 - 6 months, he’s the only one who adjusts my meds, but if I need repeats for any of my epilepsy meds between neuro appointments I get them from my gp.

I usually contact my neurologist's office through the website for refills, or the pharmacy does. This time, I guess it had been a long time since I had actually seen him, and had completely switched to Zonisamide from Vimpat.

Back
Top Bottom