Buying a TV with Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi,

just joined the forum (check me out in the Foyer) and going through topics about photosensitivity (I'm just explaining WHY I'm refreshing this topic :)).

I'm actually dealing on a every-day-basis with photosensitivity (although I don't have it myself) because of my website hardingtestonline.com and according to my best knowledge it is rather the content that matters, than the flicker rate.

I am obviously speaking about today's situation where most of us have LCD/LED/Plasma TVs. A couple years back the frame rate/frequency of CRT TV might have been a common trigger - in Europe with 25 frames per seconds (50 fields) and in the US with 30/60 it still was in a dangerous range (although 50Hz is already very high as a trigger - 7-20Hz is more provocative as far as I know). LCD/LED/Plasma have often a higher flicker rate (e.g. 100 Hz) and shouldn't be too dangerous.

But also back in the 90s the programme content meant a lot, just to mention the Pokemon episode in 1997 which caused over 600 admission to hospital in Japan. Also today there are many programmes which may provoke seizures, when watched under certain conditions (close watching distance, dark room, big TV) - only in the UK and in Japan so called Harding tests (which allow to detect provocative scenes) are mandatory - the rest of the world has only an ITU recommendation (ITU-R BT.1702), which recommends to raise awareness, but isn't followed by anyone...

Back
Top Bottom