Can Any Type Of Seizure be Triggered By Your Menstral Cycel?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you have any type of seizure. Can your period trigger that?
What seizure types can a period trigger?

All of my seizures are triggered by my period. As soon as I hit puberty, epilepsy kicked in!

simple partial seizures, complex partial seizures, absence seizures, tonic clonic seizures.....

Wow, the reason I m asking is becuase my Nurologist asked me if I have more triggers during the time of the month.
I haven't really payed attention so I just told him no, but it's the time Of the month for me sorry I hope it's not TMI and I have has a seizure like everyday. I was just wanting to know of my period could be causeing them.
I have TC.

My late wife would have a TC at the onset of her monthly. Like clock work...

Thanks epileric, even my own neurologist has never provided this kind of information to me.

Many women (as many as 1/3 of those with epilepsy) have seizures that are related to their cycle. The trigger can be at different phases in the cycle, not just during menstruation. It has to do with variability in the relation of estrogen (which can trigger seizures) to progesterone (which can negate the seizure-producing effects of the estrogen).

hi my daughters seziures occur when she has a breakthrough on the depo like clock work . finally after years of ignoring that trigger amy has been prescribed a rescue med when she is at risk .this is her second month with the rescue med and no sezires . currently she is on lamactal 300mg and keppra 1000mg

It can defo be a big part of it. As i think thats what causes my seizures the mensturation cycle. Hormones have a huge part to play in it.

My daughters seizures were triggered by hormones and poor nutrition. By addressing the nutrition, we have seen improvement in the hormonal activity. Thus a lack of seizures for over a year.

She has been med free for 4+ yrs

Hi There. Does anyone know anything about seizures and the menopause? My seizures started when I was 46 and I am still having them 5 years later, and there is often a connection with my menstrual cycle, although not always. I am hoping that it will all finish when I am through the menopause but am I being naive in thinking this? Thanks in advance.

One problem with that type of thinking is the theory of kindling.
Are you anywhere to that you can learn more about neurofeedback? And have you improved your nutritional choices in order to raise your seizure threshold?

Back
Top Bottom