Can seizures follow a pattern?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Beanogirl

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I posted a few times but I'm still new here. I'm 14 wks pregnant and think I am having simple partial seizures. I've been having them for over 4 years but thought they were anxiety related until I came across something on simple partial seizures and it all fit. I went to see a neurologist and they did an EEG that came back normal. She said she wanted to hold off on meds since I am pregnant and to wait and see. I've been keeping a log of how I am feeling for the last 2 months. I knew that my "episodes" came in clusters but never kept track before. In March I had one episode on a Thursday, nothing the next day, one on Sat and then 2 in the middle of the night Sat into Sunday and one Sunday morning. The same pattern happened this month. I had one while driving (I was able to pull over until it passed), nothing the next day. Then one Sat. morning and 2 in the middle of the night Sat into Sunday and one early Sunday morning while I was still laying in bed. When I looked at the calendar I was shocked that it was the same as the month before!

I've heard of hormones playing a role in seizures but since I am pregnant I wasn't sure if that would explain it. I'm going to call the dr. today but I just wanted to get some feedback first. I don't want to go on meds right away since I am pregnant. Is there any other tests that they can do? I just wish they could do a test, point to something and say yes you are having seizures and we are going to do x, y & z to help treat them. Since my EEG was normal my family seems to think I am fine and just to move on. I am so confused!

My daughters seemed to follow a pattern, though not complex, it was a certain number of hours after she exercised and ate. Her blood sugar tended to drop low, a reactive response. She also would have more seizures that were related to hormones.

Medication made my daughters seizures - worse.
She had an increase in the variety, and the frequency.

Improving my daughters nutritional choices, eliminating that which is proven to be distructive to health, getting more rest during critical times of the month, has all played a role in virtually eliminating seizure activity.

Hi BeanoGirl --

Pregnancy is definitely one "trigger" for seizures, since the accompanying high or fluctuating estrogen levels can lead to seizures. In addition to hormone-related seizures (called catamenial epilepsy) there can also be patterns relating to time of day, or as Robin says above to changes in blood sugar.

Because they can originate deep in the brain, Simple Partial seizures are less likely to show up on EEGs -- which can make it tough it get a confirmed diagnosis. Unfortunately, there aren't really other tests out there that can determine whether or not you are having simple partials. So it's a good idea to continue tracking the episodes, and especially important in the event that they increase in frequency, duration or kind.

It's always a tricky decision to medicate for seizures during a pregnancy, because of the potential side effects on the fetus, so even with a positive diagnosis, it's likely you would hold off on treatment. Simple partial seizures aren't considered a threat to the baby, unless you feel you are at risk for injuring yourself. You should ask your doc about the possibility of taking "neuroprotective" vitamins, such as B-complex or magnesium or Omega3s. I realize you are already probably taking pre-natal vitamins, but it's possible that additional supplements would help.

Thank you for responding. I called the dr. and they can see me in an hour. I have to take both kids with me but it will be worth it to get in so quick.

I've had them for the past 4 years on a regular basis (just not sure exact dates since I wasn't tracking them) even when not pregnant. I'll have to read up on hormones, pregnancy & seizures.

If I knew for a fact that my seizures would never change I wouldn't get on medication. They don't really interfere with my life. They scare me and make me anxious b/c I don't know exactly what they are right now but I can still function. I can talk and react during them. I just don't want the treatment to be worse then the symptoms :(

Thank you for the link. I will check into as soon as I'm done typing. My dr. said I'm not allowed to drive until they figure out what is going on. She wants me to get a video EEG. The next opening is in August. I'm not sure how I am going to manage. Does anyone know what happens with the video EEG?

Parasitic infection can also cause seizures and parasites tend to "act up" around the full moon. Keep a seizure log and also pay attention to the phase of the moon during that time.

Hootie, How do they test for that? Has anyone on here determined that is what causes their seizures?

Nakamova, Thank you for the links.

I don't know for sure but I would guess a stool test (or maybe a few since parasites are notoriously missed) and possibly a blood antibody test.

I have read that it is a multiple stool test. That it has to be done at a certain time of the month, due to the egg stage, and full moon connection. I don't remember where I read it but it was an online source found by a Google search.

Back
Top Bottom