Can thoughts trigger seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This sort of experience that you describe here is typical of what I experience when I am having a seizure/aura.

With me, any odd sense of knowledge that something is going to happen because of something banal that doesn't link up is a part of the seizure itself. It doesn't always generalise into a more severe seizure but I can tell you that when my epilepsy is controlled, I just don't have those premonitions and weird feelings.

Kirsten, that's similar to seizure-related feelings I have from time to time. Our brains are so complicated, and there are so many interconnections among all the neurons and cells and all, that it seems very logical that a "short circuit" here or there could cause a seizure.

One thing I have found odd, and a little disturbing, is that looking at (not even reading, just looking at) a Little Golden Book I got as a very you child (4 years old, probably) can bring on seizurey feelings. It makes me wonder if there was some trauma associated with that book. It's also one of the reasons I think I have had epilepsy for much of my life.

This is an interesting topic. I'm glad it was resurrected after all these years.

Ha! I didn't even know it was an old thread. Little Golden Book! Now there's a blast from the past.

Before I knew that epilepsy could cause those feelings of dread and the 'psychic' experience (which is apparently your brain doing something weird with the order at which you take things in) I was completely baffled. I don't believe in psychic anything, but I couldn't get past the fact that what ever was happening had been 'seen' before. And that dread is awful. I always say it feels as though someone really close to me has just died.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the whole deja vu and jamais vu experiences can be involoved with all of this as well, I suppose.
I'm glad you remember little golden books. I have fond memories of them, even though one in particular still makes me feel odd. . .

Thanks for the posting. I also have been baffled by the strong emotions around total horror-dread accompanied by the temporal lobe seizures. (as well as a feeling of vertigo) Sometimes it seems to be linked to a feeling of great suffering in others maybe around the world. Or maybe like seeing a cripple dragging themself up the sidewalk, oh, god i feel so bad for that person that it is a trigger. But this is only temporal lobe seizures where i am aware of everything around me during the event. . T.C.'s are out of nowhere and not remembered at all. Is this connected to great empathy?

Seeing something and then getting this feeling of déjà vu. Almost like your seeing something or experiencing a situation you have been in before. I get these feelings and if I stay focused on it it will usually lead to a TC seizure. I have had these feelings before when I have looked at or thought of something and I have had them just go away. I was at work one day kept getting these feelings. Started to go home because I was afraid something was going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom