Can you 'will' on a seizure ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Shelley, Hi TT-
I have heard really good things about yoga, and would like to find the time to fit it into our schedule. There is a method used at a local center that is called Brain Respiration. It says it is an educational method and system of training which aims to enhance the brain's functions and develop the brain's potential through integrated exercises for the body and mind.
Key components:
-deep and natural breathing
-exercise for activating the human body's energy system
-self trust
-positive information
-relaxed concentration
-enhanced imagination

Sounds like a good time. I just may try it for myself too.

As for fear.. Bernard had a link and I just can't seem to find it.
and Zoe has learned to reroute her seizure activity. You can read her story.

I am not sure about deep breathing vs shallow. I think it boils down to "natural" breathing. A rhythm that you find relaxing. For me that is much deeper than the daily shallow breathing that I find myself doing.

Slow deep breathing does help me get to sleep.
Inhale to the count of 4, hold for the count of 8, exhale to the count of 7. Works for me.

I am not sure about deep breathing vs shallow. I think it boils down to "natural" breathing. A rhythm that you find relaxing. For me that is much deeper than the daily shallow breathing that I find myself doing.

Slow deep breathing does help me get to sleep.
Inhale to the count of 4, hold for the count of 8, exhale to the count of 7. Works for me.

Hi Robin,

I think the 'natural' breathing that you are referring too really IS the best and only method for relaxation, in my opinion.

Deep breathing is great for developing lung capacity, as with our normal breathing which is generally shallow, we really don't use as much off our lungs as we should be doing.

Now this may sound stoopid with regards to the 'slow deep breathing' to get off to sleep method. BUT...I've tried it and found that generally there are two issues for me :

1. I am concentrating sooo much on the counting, that it keeps me awake (stop laughing - it's true :D )

2. I then find that as I can't get off to sleep due to the counting, I lose out on sleep and it brings on a seizure.

So, I'm damned if I do, I'm damned if I don't

If you are having trouble falling asleep, try progressive relaxation.

Ahaaaaaa.....you've rang a bell for me. That technique used to be on a 'meditation' kinda tape thing that I used to have. I remember doing that when I used to climb into bed years ago.

On the method I used to use, you would first concentrate on your breathing, taking in 5 deep breaths from the upper chest area, 5 from the stomach - making sure that you breath the air allll the way into the stomach, and back out again, and then another 5 breaths using both the chest and stomach area for full capacity.

When you completed the breathing, you would go into the progressive relaxation technique you mentioned.

Thanks for that Bernard - I'll give it a go tonight :tup:

TT - I was just thinkin' ...something I do a lot lately.... that if the numbers of counting get in the way of relaxation, maybe you could use something else, like letters or spelling someones name, or colors, or months, or words to a song.... just thinkin'

TT - I was just thinkin' ...something I do a lot lately.... that if the numbers of counting get in the way of relaxation, maybe you could use something else, like letters or spelling someones name, or colors, or months, or words to a song.... just thinkin'

Well, guess what I used to do when I was a kid ?.....I used to recite my times-tables to myself. I reckon that's how I ended up in Accounts (haha).

It's all gotta worth a try though.

I used to try visualisation techniques such as being in a hot air balloon, and all the sandbags represent parts of the day/your life which bother you....and as you cut away the bags you raise up higher until eventually you are just floating with no problems tying you down.

Thanks again Robin :tup:

Ahaaaaaa.....you've rang a bell for me. That technique used to be on a 'meditation' kinda tape thing that I used to have. I remember doing that when I used to climb into bed years ago.

On the method I used to use, you would first concentrate on your breathing, taking in 5 deep breaths from the upper chest area, 5 from the stomach - making sure that you breath the air allll the way into the stomach, and back out again, and then another 5 breaths using both the chest and stomach area for full capacity.

When you completed the breathing, you would go into the progressive relaxation technique you mentioned.

Thanks for that Bernard - I'll give it a go tonight :tup:

Absolutely! Progressive Relaxation was studied and it helped folks with seizures so much, the authors of the study recommended it become a regular part of seizure therapy. Go for it, TTs.
:)

The first time this method was used on me was in PE class in HS. I remember loving those days.
Then the college I attended was quite strenuous. I remember taking a meditation class, which was quite unique for a private design college. The instructor always did this progressive relaxation each day. I think s/he just wanted us to sleep through class. I loved it. I remember just sinking into the floor during the class.

I wonder how many people have pseudo-seizures as a result from the stress brought on by the fact that they are having epileptic seizures

In my research this is quite common. But who is the one that is going to be taking the data? I certainly considered this to be possible with my daughter, as she had her first two seizures two summers ago, and then had to deal with being on medication, and side effects, and Tonic Clonic seizures in the middle of her freshman year at HS.

I don't believe now that any of hers were pseudo-seizures, but many were brought on by the particular medication she was taking. These are very strong drugs.
Others believe that all of her Tonic Clonic seizures are Psychogenic (the new term), but those are the people that have no true knowledge of this disorder. So I teach them when I can, and let them believe what they want when I can't.

Either way, the brain is in distress. I ask myself why...
My conclusion is that it is not getting the nutrients that it needs to behave properly. I have just learned for my daughters recovery I have to work backwards to figure out how to bring her body/brain back to health.

Excellent thread guys!....

Tees...I can 'will' on my seizures. They would just not be 'instantaneous'. I couldn't just be at a dinner party and say "hey, check this out!"....nor would I want to of course.

I am sure of this because I have to 'will' off my seizures when auras come around(which are very rare for me) or when I'm very sick. I just know when I'm prone to having an episode and have to tell myself to think clearly, focus on something, etc...

I can 'will' on my seizures by consciously choosing not to do these things and it scares the hell out of me at times!

:paperbag:
Speber

Back
Top Bottom