Cell Phones Triggering Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Have any of you ever heard of cell phones triggering seizures? I found out that they trigger seizures for me when I'm in a store or at work and a lot of people are using their phone at the same time. I saw a pattern in my seizures where I was having them before school started and then again when students were on their lunch break and using their phones. My Epileptologist did a regular e.e.g. on me and I didn't know it but at certain times during the e.e.g. 3 people were purposely using their cell phones and each time they did it fired up the neurons in me and triggered a seizure. I sure hope nobody else has this problem. My Dr. told me it was do to the frequency of the cell phone and how I'm sensitive to the frequency. Here's wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Cell Phones

Sue,
With the huge number of cell phones being used today, I don't think anyone could be living far enough away from them, if their frequencies were to cause problems for people!
I don't have and won't have a cell phone myself! I haven't seen a reason for having one.
By the way, have you personally shown your cement pig how to dance the hula for me?:pfft:

ACsHuman

Hi AC,
Thank goodness not many people are cell phone sensitive like I am. It can be a little troubling when I go to the store and people have there phones out but I can't do anything about it.
In regards to my cement pig yes. it's all ready to do hula for you and it has it's grass skirt on.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!
Sue

Have any of you ever heard of cell phones triggering seizures? ..

It's been discussed before, but there's not been any definitive proof that I'm aware of.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/emf.html

... My Epileptologist did a regular e.e.g. on me and I didn't know it but at certain times during the e.e.g. 3 people were purposely using their cell phones and each time they did it fired up the neurons in me and triggered a seizure. ...

Wow! Did they test the cell phones purposely because you had raised a concern with the Epileptologist?

Hi Bernard,
When I saw my Epileptologist they asked me if I had a cell phone or used one at all and I told them no. I was having an increase of seizures and they couldn't figure out what was triggering the seizures especially at the same time during the week but on the weekend it didn't bother me. It was then the Dr. asked me if anyone at work used cell phones and I told him yes but when it was time for the e.e.g. I had no idea that the Drs. were using their cell phones purposely to see if it was triggering seizures.
I later found out from my neurosurgeon that after they did a medical study at the university hospital where I go that they found if a person uses a cell phone more than 30 minutes a day and they use the phone day after day it will shrink and harden the hippocampus of a persons brain causing short term memory loss and in some cases alzhemiers. Here's wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey Porkette. My thoughts went the same way as Bernard's. I remember discussing this somewhat and I'm still skeptical of cell phone sensitivity. I am curious though.

I would find it more likely a seizure caused my wattage rather than frequency for one. This would go in line with your doctor's question. If someone were using a phone over "x" amount of time, I feel the power of the phone, not the frequency alone would effect the user.

It does make me wonder if you've had any increased activity around any certain cellular towers. They should be running the same frequency with a much higher wattage.

Have you had any issues around any other transmissions like radios transmitters? Is there a router in your house or any other forms of radio communications that you may not think of off the bat? If you do, and you are sensitive to certain frequencies, you may want to research what you have in your house.

Modern cell phones are low power at 700 MHz, 1700-2100 MHz, 1900MHz and 2500-2700 MHz. There are also many things you may be near daily that can be the same or similar. Modems, routers, wireless phones, cameras, radios, etc.

I have equipment in my car alone, that can transmit 146 MHz, 440 MHz, and 800 MHz at quite a bit of power. You never know what there is around you.

I would be very curious to know anything you learn.

Hi N Sperlo,
I understand where you are coming from talking about the x amount of time on the phone but according to my Dr. it's the electromagnetic field that's firing up the neurons in my brain do to the frequency cell phones use.
I don't live around any cell towers but what's strange is I've been a ham radio operator for over 20 yrs. and when I'm on the radio no matter what frequency that doesn't bother me and I brought this up to my Dr. because there will be times I'm talking to people in New Zealand, Austria, New England and other places across the world and I will be using over 700 MHZ along with 1000 watts amplifier but that doesn't trigger seizures for me at all
My Dr. told me the reason that I wasn't having any seizures when I'm on the radio is because the radios are filtered better than cell phones and also it's a AM, FM or sideband frequency which doesn't bother me like a cell phone frequency does. I'm just a weird one :) Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Last edited:
Then I certainly don't need to be explaining any of this to you. :roflmao:

As soon as I get this antenna cranked up high enough, maybe we should have a chat at 28 MHz. I've never been on HF.

Last edited:
Hi N Sper,

28 MHZ. sounds fine to me just let me know when. If you have a dipole antenna get some fishing line, bow and arrow, and a small weight. Put the fishing line on the round weight, and tie the dipole to it then shoot it up into a tree with the bow and arrow and tie if off with the rope it works great we have our dipole up 45 ft. in the air.
Wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Do not get Candy Crush. It's an app for your phone that's addicting, it's a game for your cell phone that keeps you wanting to play and it really messes with your eyes, brain and people with e should not play it.

Hi Joey,
Thanks for the info. I seldom ever use my cell phone because it will trigger seizures for me often I have found that using my ham radio is a lot better and I can make phone calls over the radio for free. Here's wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks, but I'm constantly looking for ways to kill time. And phone gameso did it. But after about a month I had a few seizures in a row. It didn't harm me at first but eventually it did. Video games on television will give me a seizure quick

I removed Candy crush on iPad got so addicted ....I got most basic of phones cost me 10quid it do job it surpposed to just make calls.I had Smart phone and it drove me to insanity I never got understand it so in my dead phone draw.
I think all mob phones going do that my personal opinion plus real rude everyone got them on same time constant jabbering having hear one side conversation about everyone sex life drives me nuts.
I have wondered if you walking down the road everyone had their microwave on do it do anything to you.
I kept my cacti behind my micro wave 4 of them have grown to much in strange shapes 3foot tall odd colours and flowers to many times of year.Got identical cacti else where in house same age and it normal.
Micro wave cacti looks like 3foot circumcised penis with round bit at base obviously I named it prick the dick shadowed silloet looks far bigger scares crap out of anyone who don't know it there.
So yes I do think all these things got direct effects

Back
Top Bottom