Chart of non-prescription (AED) drug treatments for epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Fay! No, I don't get upset just because someone has a different viewpoint. :)

The info I posted re: the ketogenic diet is based upon all the authoritative references I could find (and there are threads on the EFA site supporting the idea that the diet is difficult to maintain). I'm glad that you/Scott found it manageable.

I am aware of the low glycemic diet, but at the time I built the chart, I could not find any information on scientific studies of the diet for epilepsy. If you have links to some resources, I'd love to add it to the chart.

I'd also like to see your links on the modified Atkin's diet. I couldn't find anything on research for adults at the time I built the chart although I'm aware from forum threads that many adults have tried it with success.

I added the Low Glycemic diet to the chart. :)

I updated the info for the Modified Atkins diet. While searching around, I found this which I thought worth sharing here in the forums too:
This study raises important questions on the current use of the traditional ketogenic diet. The first is whether higher ratios with more fat, less protein, and fewer carbohydrates are truly necessary for efficacy. Our results also question whether ketosis is as important as previously reported (10,12). Eighty percent of children with a loss of large urinary ketosis over the study period did not lose seizure control, and the same percentage with trace or zero ketosis at 6 months were still improved. Preliminary efficacy of a low–glycemic index diet with lower levels of ketosis also suggests this may be accurate (13).

A Modified Atkins Diet Is Effective for the Treatment of Intractable Pediatric Epilepsy (.PDF file)

I'd like to disagree about the ketogenic diet and hope that you don't get upset with me. :oops:

Ketogenic Diet = BLAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Note: Brain's posting is only the expression and
viewpoint of Brain's conclusion and experience of
such diet and is not any in way, shape, or form,
making mockery of something that does work.
Brain refuses to ever venture into this area, avenue,
or bear to see this food galore being whisked on
the table cart and being told, "This is your dinner".

Hmmmmmmmmm....................

Has anyone ever heard of George Stella? He is a chef that weighed 470 lbs. and has now lost 270 lbs. just through diet and exercise. No surgery. He created a modified Atkins diet and calls it Stella Style. He basically took out all refined carbs. and sugars. You eat fresh all the time. If you don't like being on a diet and don't like feeling deprived, try eating Stella Style. I have no idea if there is a connection to this way of eating and a reduction in seizures but it is very healthy and tasty. For the most part, this is the way we eat as a family.

That sounds similar to the low glycemic diet.

:woot:

I have completely revamped the chart. I spent quite a bit of time researching and adding information to it.

Please let me know what you think! :twocents:

5d94cde7.gif

Do photosensitive people really browse the net with animation enabled?

oddly enough, many of them do.

three reasons i can think of.

one is that they can't figure out how to turn things off. getting rid of flash is a major challenge.

second is that many people are using shared computers, and if they turn things off it upsets other family members.

leading to the third, that some people just keep upping their meds, instead of changing their environment to lessen triggers.

i have never had a television set. TV triggers me almost instantly. many people say that the computer gives them seizures but not the TV.

so i suppose it is all in your perception of the problem.

Thanks annie, I had not considered those possibilities. The new chart doesn't use any animated images. :)

OK, I've added the Andrews/Reiter neurobehavioral (cognitive behavioral) therapy to the chart and adjusted the scores and information for the lobectomy as I discovered some research on the longer term results.

Let me know if you see something in the chart you disagree with or if I am missing anything.

Riva, I still have homeopathy on my "to do" list.

I live on the west coast,I am will be taking a course on Basic Pranic Healing.
Instead of paying someone to heal me.I will be able to heal myself with
crystals.

One can also use reiki. A shamen, crystal bowls.

Usually these techniques are mixed with acupuncture and or ostepathy to stop all seizures and help you get off meds.

Most of the time these masters volunteer their time in hospitals or old age homes till they get grants and it becomes acceptable to the medical community.

The west coast has been enlightning experience,compared to the east coast stuffy attitude.

Theirs alot more out to help pple than one thinks.

Positive Person

hey,:star: I know this person who is a healer walkn shawman also says shes a riki master psychic... I had a seizure in the car all the sudden she says im a psychic indigo child ...shes a friend of my mother in laws and i thought she was my friend until she kept messing with my head.... SHES one of the reasons im taking the meds i didnt want to end up as crazy as she was acting LOL :soap: Im a christian :) with an open mind;) she kept trying to tell me my seizures are a gift from above well, sorry they dont feel much like a gift... they feel more like a seizure :)

I've updated the information for the RNS system on the chart.

mindfulness meditation

Hi,

I'm about to join a group to learn mindful meditation and yoga. It was developed Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at The University of Mass. Medical Center. It is supposed to help teach stress reduction, methods of coping etc. Many of the people in the group are depressed, and the practice has taught many people to function at a lower dose of medication or no medication at all.

I am hoping to learn not to get so annoyed with the dumb things people do. Not let it affect my day etc. I was thinking, perhaps, after practicing the methods, reducing stress, I might be able to reduce my meds a bit. I will of course, only do it with my neurologists ok.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this, with what sucess? Anyway I'll let you know how it goes!!

Maureen

I've updated the chart scores for the RNS system (cost score) and Intercept/DBS system (based upon preliminary results from their study that were released just recently).

I added Aromatherapy to the chart. :)

Behavioral therapy? I had no clue that could do so well. Neither did I consider a modified atkins diet. And I thought marijuana ran the risk of making things worse. I bookmarked it for safe keeping.

Be sure to click on the link for those items in the chart to see more detailed information. :)

Hey Benard.
I was just looking at your chart on the non-drug tx for E.
Wanted to mention a few things.
RE: LGIT, as much as I would love for there to be no side effects, there are and I sometimes these s/e can be quite significant.
Some do become too acidotic on LGIT and can become quite ill.
I mention this as I have known of some to try this treatment without the help of a dietitian and their children have become quite ill.
But I will say that even with the potential for side effects, I believe LGIT is overall healthier than both Keto & MAD.

And RE: costs, probably costs a bit more than reg diet. Or at least for us it is. But then again, I try and make the diet as healthy as possible.

So I would gauge adverse at about 8 and cost at about 8.

Now RE: aroma therapy. This IMO ... my very strong opinion, can be quite risky for a person with E.
It is the long list of essential oils a person needs to be cautious of. We have run into the problem first hand (w/ eucalyptus oil) and part of an investigation w/ the EPA.
These oils have the potential to be quite neuro-toxic.
Most AT practioners know enough not to use these oils on folks with epilepsy.
Here are some links to info on this topic:
w w w.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/alternative_oils

w w w.essentialoils.co.za/epilepsy.htm

HTH,

Jen

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom