clobazam (Catamenial / Women's Issues)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

eslucas

New
Reaction score
Hi there. My neurologist prescribed 1/2 clobazam before and after my period
because my seizures usually occur around then and so I'm taking this along with my regular med, Lamotrigine. Anybody had a similar experience or taken similar meds together? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you very much.

I am on Lamictal and Clonazepam (which is in
USA - and is similar to what you are on); only
that I am also on Zonegran, Lamictal, Clonazepam
(aka Klonopin), and Folic Acid.

I had been on it for quite some time. Currently
being titrated off of Zonegran after being on it
for so long and the titration of Lamictal increasing
but the Clonazepam remains the same.

I've been on Klonopin / Clonazepam on and
off for decades; and being on 1.5 mg (.5 x 3)
since 2006; no problems at all.

Clobozam is in the same family as Klonopin/
Clonazepam - it is a benzodiazepine.

If you are experiencing seizures before and
after your cycle - you may want to read up
on this by clicking on the link below:

Catamenial Epilepsy / Seizures

And these threads should help you better
understand it more and knowing you are
not alone! And we also have other topics
here on:

Women's Issues

Some which may have information there
which may be helpful for you as well!

My daughter was not prescribed a medication for her catamenial seizures. She uses a natural progesterone for two+ weeks. We are working on tapering it down so that the body isn't jolted during her sensitive times. It seems to be working....
along with nutritional changes.

Did you know that if your liver pathways are not functioning properly that it causes excessive estrogen? I just learned that yesterday.

Hi Brain,
Clonazapam and clobazam are both benzo's and are related but have different half life times in the blood. Both are used different in Europe/Holland.

Clobazam tablets usually are used here as an add on to one ore more AEDs, not as an emergency med. My son has had 1-2 x 5-10 mg clobazam in several med combinations for about 3 years; clobazam did work well in the first few weeks, then he got used to it and the effect of sz reduction disappeared. The remaining effects were the side effects...

Clonazapam is generally used as emergency med here.
We've always used clonazapam (Klonopin = brand name 'Rivotril' in Holland, oral drips in his cheek) in case of minor or major status with our boy (instead of diastat) and a few drops are very effective.
Clonazepam sometimes is used for (small) kids as an add on to AEDs but there's a danger of getting used to the med.

A good one about the benzo's
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm

Hi Eslucas,
I know of a Dutch teenage girl with period related seizures who also takes clobazam only around her period (weeks on-weeks off.) This scedule was precribed this way to avoid getting used to the clobazam, wich works as a top up to the GABA in the brain. Very effective to repress seizures but the brain makes less GABA by itself when added by medicine and therefore the effect disappears usually after a period of taking clobazam. This addicitve effect also shows when weaning of clobazam, frequently accompanied by increase of seizures (have been there with my boy, no other med was so difficult to get rid off.) Giving clobazam only in the period when needed, can prevent this effect to occur. That's why other benzo's are usually used as emergency meds.

Last edited:
Just exactly how many Benzos are out there? *laughing*

Hi Brain,
Clonazapam and clobazam are both benzo's and are related but have different half life times in the blood. Both are used different in Europe/Holland.

Correct, that is why I implied that they were
similar. Here is a pharmacology / pharmakentics
quote (but this is of US and CAN)

Some commonly used brand names are:

In the U.S.— (Brand Names)

* Alprazolam Intensol 1
* Ativan 12
* Dalmane 9
* Diastat 7
* Diazepam Intensol 7
* Dizac 7
* Doral 16
* Halcion 18
* Klonopin 5
* Librium 3
* Lorazepam Intensol 12
* Niravam 1
* Paxipam 10
* ProSom 8
* Restoril 17
* Serax 14
* Tranxene-SD 6
* Tranxene-SD Half Strength 6
* Tranxene T-Tab 6
* Valium 7
* Xanax 1

In Canada— (Brand Names)

* Alti-Alprazolam 1
* Alti-Bromazepam 2
* Alti-Clonazepam 5
* Alti-Triazolam 18
* Apo-Alpraz 1
* Apo-Chlordiazepoxide 3
* Apo-Clonazepam 5
* Apo-Clorazepate 6
* Apo-Diazepam 7
* Apo-Flurazepam 9
* Apo-Lorazepam 12
* Apo-Oxazepam 14
* Apo-Temazepam 17
* Apo-Triazo 18
* Ativan 12
* Clonapam 5
* Dalmane 9
* Diazemuls 7
* Frisium 4
* Gen-Alprazolam 1
* Gen-Bromazepam 2
* Gen-Clonazepam 5
* Gen-Triazolam 18
* Halcion 18
* Lectopam 2
* Mogadon 13
* Novo-Alprazol 1
* Novo-Clopate 6
* Novo-Dipam 7
* Novo-Flupam 9
* Novo-Lorazem 12
* Novo-Poxide 3
* Novo-Temazepam 17
* Novo-Triolam 18
* Novoxapam 14
* Nu-Alpraz 1
* Nu-Loraz 12
* PMS-Clonazepam 5
* PMS-Diazepam 7
* Restoril 17
* Rivotril 5
* Serax 14
* Somnol 9
* Tranxene 6
* Valium 7
* Vivol 7
* Xanax 1
* Xanax TS 1

Note:

For quick reference, the following benzodiazepines are numbered to match the corresponding brand names.
This information applies to the following medicines:
1. Alprazolam (al-PRAZ-oh-lam)‡§
2. Bromazepam (broe-MA-ze-pam)*
3. Chlordiazepoxide (klor-dye-az-e-POX-ide)‡
4. Clobazam (KLOE-ba-zam)*
5. Clonazepam (kloe-NA-ze-pam)‡
6. Clorazepate (klor-AZ-e-pate)‡
7. Diazepam (dye-AZ-e-pam)‡
8. Estazolam (ess-TA-zoe-lam)†‡
9. Flurazepam (flure-AZ-e-pam)‡
10. Halazepam (hal-AZ-e-pam)†
11. Ketazolam (kee-TAY-zoe-lam)*†
12. Lorazepam (lor-AZ-e-pam)‡
13. Nitrazepam (nye-TRA-ze-pam)*
14. Oxazepam (ox-AZ-e-pam)‡
15. Prazepam (PRAZ-e-pam)*†
16. Quazepam (KWA-ze-pam)†
17. Temazepam (tem-AZ-e-pam)‡
18. Triazolam (trye-AY-zoe-lam)‡§
* Not commercially available in the U.S.
† Not commercially available in Canada
‡ Generic name product may be available in the U.S.
§ Generic name product may be available in Canada
Category

* Amnestic—Diazepam (parenteral only); Lorazepam (parenteral only)
* Antianxiety agent—Alprazolam; Bromazepam; Chlordiazepoxide; Clorazepate; Diazepam; Halazepam; Ketazolam; Lorazepam; Oxazepam; Prazepam
* Anticonvulsant—Clobazam; Clonazepam; Clorazepate; Diazepam; Lorazepam (parenteral only); Nitrazepam
* Antiemetic, in cancer chemotherapy—Lorazepam (parenteral only)
* Antipanic agent—Alprazolam; Chlordiazepoxide (parenteral only); Clonazepam; Diazepam; Lorazepam
* Antitremor agent—Alprazolam; Chlordiazepoxide (oral only); Diazepam (oral only); Lorazepam (oral only)
* Sedative-hypnotic—Alprazolam; Bromazepam; Chlordiazepoxide; Clonazepam; Clorazepate; Diazepam; Estazolam; Flurazepam; Halazepam; Ketazolam; Lorazepam; Nitrazepam; Oxazepam; Prazepam; Quazepam; Temazepam; Triazolam
* Skeletal muscle relaxant adjunct—Diazepam; Lorazepam

Description

Benzodiazepines ((ben-zoe-dye-AZ-e-peens)) belong to the group of medicines called central nervous system (CNS) depressants (medicines that slow down the nervous system).

Some benzodiazepines are used to relieve anxiety. However, benzodiazepines should not be used to relieve nervousness or tension caused by the stress of everyday life.

Some benzodiazepines are used to treat insomnia (trouble in sleeping). However, if used regularly (for example, every day) for insomnia, they usually are not effective for more than a few weeks.

Many of the benzodiazepines are used in the treatment of other conditions, also. Diazepam is used to help relax muscles or relieve muscle spasm. Diazepam injection is used before some medical procedures to relieve anxiety and to reduce memory of the procedure. Chlordiazepoxide, clorazepate, diazepam, and oxazepam are used to treat the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Alprazolam and clonazepam are used in the treatment of panic disorder. Clobazam, clonazepam, clorazepate, diazepam, and lorazepam are used in the treatment of certain convulsive (seizure) disorders, such as epilepsy. The benzodiazepines may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.

Benzodiazepines may be habit-forming (causing mental or physical dependence), especially when taken for a long time or in high doses.

These medicines are available only with your doctor's prescription, in the following dosage forms:

* Oral
* Alprazolam
o Oral disintegrating tablets (U.S.)
o Oral solution (U.S.)
o Tablets (U.S. and Canada)
* Bromazepam
o Tablets (Canada)
* Chlordiazepoxide
o Capsules (U.S. and Canada)
* Clobazam
o Tablets (Canada)
* Clonazepam
* Clorazepate
o Capsules (Canada)
o Tablets (U.S.)
o Extended-release tablets (U.S.)
* Diazepam
o Oral solution (U.S. and Canada)
* Estazolam
o Tablets (U.S.)
* Flurazepam
o Tablets (Canada)
* Halazepam
o Tablets (U.S.)
* Lorazepam
o Oral concentrate (U.S.)
o Sublingual tablets (Canada)
* Nitrazepam
o Tablets (Canada)
* Oxazepam
o Capsules (U.S.)
* Quazepam
o Tablets (U.S.)
* Temazepam
* Triazolam

* Parenteral
* Chlordiazepoxide
o Injection (U.S.)
* Diazepam
o Injection (U.S. and Canada)
* Lorazepam
o Injection (U.S. and Canada)

* Rectal
* Diazepam
o For rectal solution (may be prepared in U.S. and Canada from diazepam injection)
o Rectal gel (U.S.)

Before Using This Medicine

In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For benzodiazepines, the following should be considered:

Allergies—Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to benzodiazepines. Also tell your health care professional if you are allergic to any other substances, such as foods, preservatives, or dyes. Certain benzodiazepine products may contain lactose, parabens, or soybean oil.

Pregnancy—Chlordiazepoxide and diazepam have been reported to increase the chance of birth defects when used during the first 3 months of pregnancy. Although similar problems have not been reported with the other benzodiazepines, the chance always exists since all of the benzodiazepines are related.

Studies in animals have shown that clonazepam, lorazepam, and temazepam cause birth defects or other problems, including death of the animal fetus.

Too much use of a benzodiazepine during pregnancy may cause the baby to become dependent on the medicine. This may lead to withdrawal side effects after birth. Also, use of benzodiazepines during pregnancy, especially during the last weeks, may cause body temperature problems, breathing problems, difficulty in feeding, drowsiness, or muscle weakness in the newborn infant.

Benzodiazepines given just before or during labor may cause weakness in the newborn infant. When diazepam is given in high doses (especially by injection) within 15 hours before delivery, it may cause breathing problems, muscle weakness, difficulty in feeding, and body temperature problems in the newborn infant.

Breast-feeding—Benzodiazepines may pass into the breast milk and cause drowsiness, difficulty in feeding, and weight loss in nursing babies of mothers taking these medicines.

Children—Most of the side effects of these medicines are more likely to occur in children, especially the very young. These patients are usually more sensitive than adults to the effects of benzodiazepines.

It is possible that using clonazepam for long periods of time may cause unwanted effects on physical and mental growth in children. If such effects do occur, they may not be noticed until many years later. Before this medicine is given to children for long periods of time, you should discuss its use with your child's doctor.

Older adults—Most of the side effects of these medicines are more likely to occur in the elderly, who are usually more sensitive to the effects of benzodiazepines.

Taking benzodiazepines for trouble in sleeping may cause more daytime drowsiness in elderly patients than in younger adults. In addition, falls and related injuries are more likely to occur in elderly patients taking benzodiazepines.

Other medicines—Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. When you are taking or receiving benzodiazepines it is especially important that your health care professional know if you are taking any of the following:

* Central nervous system (CNS) depressants (medicines that cause drowsiness)—The CNS depressant effects of either these medicines or benzodiazepines may be increased; your doctor may want to change the dose of either or both medicines

* Fluvoxamine (e.g., Luvox) or
* Nefazodone (e.g., Serzone)—Higher blood levels of benzodiazepines may occur, increasing the chance that side effects will occur; your doctor may want to change the dose of either or both medicines, or give you a different medicine

* Itraconazole (e.g., Sporanox) or
* Ketoconazole (e.g., Nizoral)—These medicines should NOT be used if you are taking a benzodiazepine.

Other medical problems—The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of benzodiazepines. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:

* Alcohol abuse (or history of) or
* Drug abuse or dependence (or history of)—Dependence on benzodiazepines may be more likely to develop

* Brain disease—CNS depression and other side effects of benzodiazepines may be more likely to occur

* Difficulty in swallowing (in children) or
* Emphysema, asthma, bronchitis, or other chronic lung disease or
* Hyperactivity or
* Mental depression or
* Mental illness (severe) or
* Myasthenia gravis or
* Porphyria or
* Sleep apnea (temporary stopping of breathing during sleep)—Benzodiazepines may make these conditions worse

* Epilepsy or history of seizures—Although some benzodiazepines are used in treating epilepsy, starting or suddenly stopping treatment with these medicines may increase seizures

* Glaucoma, acute narrow angle—Benzodiazepines should NOT be used if you have this condition.

* Glaucoma, open angle—Benzodiazepines can be used but your doctor should be monitoring your condition carefully.

* Kidney or liver disease—Higher blood levels of benzodiazepines may result, increasing the chance that side effects will occur

I just do not have Pharmacology access for International
References but I can obtain some database; as my deceased
father was a Chief Pharmacist, hence why I have so much
knowledge in the pharmacology and the field perspective.
This was about the closest I could get. The above field
range and information provided would be generalized into
one mega-lump field of the "Benzo-Family"....

*groans*

Meds and Vitamins

Thanks for the info on the catemenial epilepsy. I'll keep monitoring my progess with clobazam and Lamotrigine during my period. I was wondering what your opinion was if I I just increased my lamotrigine levels by 50mg around my period instead of adding another med to prevent the seizures. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks a lot.

I was wondering about weaning down the projesterone cream prior to the period??? Do you just decrease it a little the last few days??? I wonder if my daughter will still have a seizure because estrogen levels will raise once we stop the progesterone cream each month to allow for her period???

Back
Top Bottom