College suggestions?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum (and posted in the Lemonade Stand and was redirected here for some guidance) and have some questions about college. I am a student at a college in NJ at the moment but due to EXTREME problems I've been having with the administration (I had to take a medical withdrawal for a year, they didn't even have me as a medical withdrawal, and not only was I going through increased GMs that I never even experienced since I was diagnosed plus the side effects- I'm sure we've all been there!) and the fact their disability program has only one guy in it with no extra support or resources whatsoever, I have decided it best to transfer schools. I am wondering, does anyone know of any suggestions of schools with great disability programs, specifically dealing with epilepsy? I'd figure asking from your perspective would be best since most schools talk about physical and LD. My meds ( Keppra, lamotrigine and zonisamide- lamotrigine especially) have been giving me terrible memory problems and I'm hoping a school with a better program will help. I graduated high school with a 4.0 and have a 3.3 now but I know it could be much better if I just had those extra resources. I have so far applied to Alfred U, East Stroudsburg, Frostburg State, Nicholls State, East Carolina and others that I am now blanking on (see what I mean!) sorry about all the rambling and I'm hoping to hear some advice :)

Also like I said before in my other thread, I know no schools specifically cater to students with epilepsy, but it would be nice to see the perspectives of someone who knows what I'm dealing with and what kind of support they were able to get from their institution. I am a biology major with a career in PT or medicine in mind (if my epilepsy won't get in the way! :p)

I am interested in your post since my daughter will be on the college journey in a few years. It is my understanding that all Universities (at least in the US) had to have some type of Disability Center or Support Office. I thought ADA mandates this. Paige has a 504 plan and I am under the impression this will follow her to college. Have you looked at the Disability Offices of the colleges you are interested in? What do you feel your supports may be? Note taker? Spacing due dates for various classes? Not having multiple finals on one day? No penalty for missing class due to sleep needs? Best of luck! Keep us posted!

I don't know about American system but I think it would be worth ringing colleges and asking how they support students with specific disabilities.

In the UK disabled students can apply for a grant of £10,000 per year for additional support which can be spent on equipment or non medical helpers eg note takers. Maybe local epilepsy society may also be able to give guidance on epilepsy and higher education?

Q

Hey sorry about the delayed response! The holidays are always super busy for me!

Chop456- yes my current school technically has a disability program but all it was was meeting with the counselor for 15 minutes, him giving me a paper to give to my profs stating I have epilepsy and allow for longer exam time, excused attendances (to their discretion) and that was it. I tried going to make multiple appointments and get different types of tutoring from my profs, students, etc but really had no support. I was looking at some schools where you meet every week with a counselor for 1-2 hours, get extra tutoring, learn advocacy skills, as well as getting a note taker (upon request), extended exams, and just more than one staff member! I was offered no support which therefore not much leniency from the profs :/

Queeniekp- yea I've been contacting all the universities that have the amenities that I'm searching for, it's just most of thm state learning or physically disabled and I was just trying to get a perspective from someone with epilepsy. I mean, my meds definitely affect my learning (as well as the epilepsy itself) but it would just be nice to see what others have seen :)

I think that's why talking to the support team is critical and perhaps ask if they have students with epilepsy that might be willing to speak to you about the support they received, would be the best validation.

I know I would have been very willing to speak to anyone who was planning to attend the University of Kent and tell them of my experiences.

Q

Q

Back
Top Bottom