Confessions of 40 years with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
When I was first diagnosed as a teen, no one around knew what to do with me.

My parents refused to use the “E” word. People treated me like I was some kind of pariah (which didn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy either.)

Guys never called back for a second date.

The Dilantin made me feel like a zombie. I even went into a coma once.

And my beautiful, long hair was falling out.

I couldn’t drive, couldn’t participate in athletics, couldn’t even get through a date.

I constantly had to lie. Or else no one would hire me. (Not good for their health insurance.) And I was constantly on my guard.

One day, the copy machine next to my office caught on fire. Everyone was evacuated from the building while I was laying on the floor of my office (with the door closed), out cold. When I came out, I innocently asked “where’s the copy machine.” They all looked at me like I was from Mars.

So I quickly had to make up some lame story. I couldn’t even have a seizure in peace!

Epilepsy was my "dirty secret." Like it or not…

Until one night, I had a flaming seizure on a date and the guy was so sweet and gentle and considerate, I couldn’t believe it. Kind to ME? Little old damaged me? I was amazed and said to myself: “He’s a keeper!” And he has been for 30 years.

Then, last year, I almost died. My heart stopped, I was in a coma and on life support for 5 days, then in the hospital itself for 5 days, until I was transferred to another hospital for rehab, followed by 4 weeks of out-patient.

But I still couldn’t button a shirt or tie my shoes, no less find the key board. Exasperation turned to tears. I was useless.

Yet there was certainly time to think. (Almost dying can certainly change your perspective.) And I realized I was one of the lucky ones. After all, I was still alive. And I was better off than a lot of other people who had Cancer, Alzheimer's, Cerebral Palsy, and Parkinson's, to name a few.

So I decided to turn lemons into lemonade. I ditched my day job (I had my own freelance writing business for 25 years) and I became a full-time epilepsy advocate...helping others like me and trying to teach the uninformed and misinformed, like so many people in my life had been.

Very sweet story Phylis. I am glad that you chose to make lemonade. It benefits all of us.

It is awesome that you are doing so well now. Wow you have been through a lot. Sounds similar to how I was born... three months premature, lung disease, PDA heart staple surgery at 4hrs old, 8 other surgeries during my 26 years- as well as blindness, hearing impairment and epilepsy.

I educate people about deafblindness and sometimes Epilepsy depening on the lecture I give. If its high school students then its only about adaptive technology but older people or colleges do much better with a medication condition.
How important it is to educate people.
In our last epilepsy support group meeting- we talked about educating people epecially those around us, about our "invisible condition". Epilepsy is invisible until a seizure comes.
In my case, people see my hearing aids, or see me signing with my sis, or they see my guide dog next to me- and so they know I have trouble seeing and hearing.
They would never guess I have epilepy unless a seizure comes. Its embarassing to have a seizure in public- and mine are complex partials. People think I'm "retarded" or drunk or on drugs!!

Anyway- my Mom didn't like the word Epilepsy until a few years ago- even though I was having small complex partials from age 6-13. Then 13-to now they have been longer, plus the addition of drop attacks due to me messing up my meds.

Thank you for sharing you story. You've been through a lot. You are a strong person.
Take care,
Crystal

Thank you Phyllis and Crystal.

Phyllis, your husband sounds wonderful! How lucky you were to find him!

:)

Thanks for sharing your Lemonade. It taste sweet to hear the positives. My hero and I celebrated our 30th anniversary last August.

:clap:Well done and such a wonderful and hopeful story... It great to read on a down day and maybe sip a little lemonaid. hugs sally

Back
Top Bottom