Coronavirus

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I went to get groceries today and I had to go to 2 different stores because the shelveswere empty and when it came to getting meat the meat dept. was just about empty also. I'm glad I stocked up way before the virus
It’s the same here, my Dad takes me shopping every 2 weeks for a big shop but I often go to the shops in between to get other stuff eg milk, something for lunch for work. I went to the supermarket near me on Sunday to buy milk and there was plenty of fruit & vegetables & meat but the main aisles were getting bare.

I went to the same supermarket today (Tuesday) and hardly and fresh vegetables, meat was getting low and the other aisles were bare. Luckily I was able to everything I needed.

My parents did their shop yesterday and said the shops were bare, most of the shelves were empty. They went to both Aldi and one of the other supermarkets.

Dad’s taking me shopping on Friday after work, I’m expecting the supermarket shelves to be bare but luckily I don’t need much as I always make sure I have plenty of everything in the house (something my mum taught me).

I heard on the news this morning that the main supermarkets are going to dedicate a shopping hour in the morning just for elderly & people with disability so they can get what they need.

What a great idea! I hope they do something like that here.

I don’t know if you guys have Coles & Woolworths over there but they’re our 2 main supermarkets. They have both started putting limits on how much you can buy and then the shopping hour. One supermarket will bring in the new rules and the other will follow lead.

Woolworths started their 1 hour dedication for pensioners today and Coles start Tomorrow.

Attachments

• 5448AA3C-254A-416A-B212-6EA44EC8F296.jpeg
    5448AA3C-254A-416A-B212-6EA44EC8F296.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 3
  • D7F906F7-4290-41B7-AB63-060D2D9AE809.jpeg
    D7F906F7-4290-41B7-AB63-060D2D9AE809.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 1
I just got back form the grocery store and I can't believe how empty the shelves were!

I use the pharmacy at one grocery store and do my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. I picked up my meds and the only thing they were completely out of was bread. Shelves in other parts of the store weren't great. We'd gotten a little bit of food there. There were a ton of frozen dinners that I like to eat for lunch. Got some wet food for the cats too. We needed to get some other things so we were going to wait and get them at Wal-Mart because the grocery store we were in is a little pricey.

When we got into Wal-Mart the shelves were literally empty - Even the cat food! There was no bread . There was only 1 frozen dinner, and I actually mean 1 on the shelves! The kid that worked there was starting to put some on the shelves but it was one of the ones that I don't like. There was a kid with what looked like 30 cans of baked beans in his cart. Want to make sure I don't stand behind that guy!

Still no toilet paper in either store. Hope the bean guy's going to be ok.

Most stores have to close. I don't know what type that includes. I know it's small businesses but I don't know if larger department stores do too. Liquor stores have to close. Kids in college have to be out of their dorms and can take classes on line.

Large venues are being closed and workers are being laid off. One of the ones here is our hockey arena. Luckily the owner is still paying the workers. I don't know about other places.

In general it's just a mad house here!

Kids in college have to be out of their dorms and can take classes on line.

Large venues are being closed and workers are being laid off. One of the ones here is our hockey arena.

In general it's just a mad house here!
It’s the same here. There were a couple of private schools in Melbourne (in the city) where students or teachers were positive for corona virus. A lot of the private schools in the cities have started taking precautions and closing doors and quarantine. The government hasn’t mentioned if the state schools will close yet but I’m sure it will happen soon.
I saw on the news that for the schools that have quarantined they’ve set up online classes.

As for sports we are about to start Australian Rules Football and Rugby. At the moment they’re playing with no crowd. Usually the footy runs from end of March until end of September but they’re talking of cutting it down heaps.

As of last night there are 140,000 Barmen out of a job alone and some in the country will not reopen, about 2 million will get the virus by june 1st and at lest 50,000 will die and all will die by july 31st. They expect half a million to die in England and at lest 8 million to get the virus. Public order unites are being set up and Ireland is suppose to start slowly going into lockdown. The population of Ireland about 5, million.

Everything here in Central NY is shut down except hospitals, grocery stores and gas stations. As of late afternoon on Tuesday the Gov. has shut down everything. One thing I noticed when I was in the grocery store is how the prices have gone up like crazy. My mom lives in a retirement home where people are 55 and older and they are not allowed out of there apartment and nobody can visit them now. I just wish the media would quiet down about this and then maybe things wouldn't be so bad. l wish all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I agree with you on that Porkette there is way too much in the media and television it has got to the stage where they are scaring people. I know and agree this is serious and we need information but you can go too far with it and start to scare people at lest that seems to be what is happening here at the moment.

I think most of the cases here are in the cities or bigger towns. I live in s smaller town and there haven’t been any known cases yet they’re saying it could happen anytime. The health professionals are also reminding people not to stress.

I just wish the media would quiet down about this and then maybe things wouldn't be so bad.
I agree Porkette, the media always just it worse.

1584448282745.png

In IL all schools, restaurants, bars and clubs are shut down. The stores are empty of many, many items and a few things have been gone for a week or so already. It started here with hand sanitizer and things like Lysol cleaners. Now TP, PT, eggs, milk, meat, most veggies and easy to fix things are gone. There have already been instances of police being needed in stores within 30 miles of us due to people fighting over things. This is in towns of less than 10,000 people.

We have always gotten extra of TP and things like that in case we wouldn't be able to get out for some reason so we're not worried about things right now. I am always happy to live in a very rural area but with a crazy as things are getting and as much as you're supposed to stay away from people I am doubly thankful now. At least we will be able to go outside and get fresh air and do work out there and not have to stay inside al the time.

One thing I think is crazy tho. They have closed the schools to limit contact. Okay, so now they are opening up churches and community centers for the kids to go to during the day. What? They will have to eat and have adult supervision. Just leave them in school. Another things about that, I was talking to an older friend on the phone last night and she agrees with me that that is crazy because a lot of people in this area rely on grandparents for sitters when they need one in an emergency. Lets put the kids in with the target area of people to get sick.

Sorry for the rant, this whole thing is just getting crazier by the day and we are getting spooked. Not nearly so much about the virus itself as people's reaction to it.

That's been my biggest complaint in all of this (rant time). Do I "respect" the threat of the virus? Of course! However, people are acting like they've never heard of this thing called a "disease" before!

Come on people! There's this thing called the flu and it kills people also. AGAIN, that's not me saying we shouldn't be aware of the virus. No. However, at this rate, everyone is becoming germaphobes. One of the things that helps your immune system the most is getting germs.

Huh?

Yeah, if your immune system doesn't have anything to fight, then it's going to go into "nothing to do here" (shutdown) mode. Just like exercising with your muscles. If you don't workout, then you're going to lose your muscle tone. Germs are a "workout" for your immune system.

Does that mean I’m saying we should therefore start playing in garbage?? Of course not! But to bathe in sanitizer 24/7 won't be that effective.

I think Porkett, CQ and Fedup nailed it. (I especially love the meme about the media 😏👍). This has gotten more hype than it ever deserved to get.

My mom was scared to death a couple of weeks ago. She was somewhat stocking up (before everyone else started to). Then she got even more scared when people were buying everything left and right. Then she saw an OLD can of Lysol. Guess what it said on the can. Yep. It kills Coronavirus. This is a can from 2017 or so. Translation: this isn't the first time this "type"of virus has been heard of. It is the 19th strand of it. When she saw this old can, she kind of woke up and realized how much of a "big deal" the media and others are making of it. There have been 18 other viruses like this. This is just the latest one.

On that note, do people even know why it's called Coronavirus? I admit that I didn't. So I looked it up.

Coronavirus

noun: coronavirus; plural noun: coronaviruses

1) any of a group of RNA viruses that cause a variety of diseases in humans and other animals

In other words, viruses that can cause you to get sick. Who's to say there aren't (not to scare anyone) 1000's of Coronaviruses?? This is just the 19th one that they have seen because it is consistent enough to put a label on it since more people are being affected consistently.

Bottom line: are we really going to become germaphobes to where no one will get out and do anything (ie no school, jobs, entertainment etc) or are we going to wake up and remember this little concept called "diseases" and that they kill people? Why live life in panic?

PS - With everything (ie restaurants, movies, sports, schools etc) being closed and no one being "allowed" (not supposed) to go out into the public UNLESS they are going to a doctors appointment, the grocery store or another NECESSITY, it got me thinking, "Hey, this is similar to my life and many others with epilepsy. I don't go out unless it is a necessity. Whether it be grocery shopping or going to the doctor." Yeah! Sucks doesn't it?! Welcome to my (our) world. I've got (to put it into Army/military terms) 20 "combat stripes" on you (one stripe per 6 months in combat). You civilians with good health are going through basic training right now with the Drill Sergeants in your face. You're not too happy are you? Well imagine dealing with it 24/7/365 every day for the rest of your life (ie epilepsy).

- Rant Over -

When she saw this old can, she kind of woke up and realized how much of a "big deal" the media and others are making of it. There have been 18 other viruses like this. This is just the latest one.

The other 18 coronaviruses are not like this one, other than that they share the RNA-based definition you list above. COVID-19 appears to have a mutation that makes it closer in some ways to Ebola and HIV (which are not coronaviruses). COVID-19 attacks a different protein on the body than other coronaviruses and it has a much greater ability to bind to cells. Both the common cold and COVID-19 can be subsets of coronaviruses, but COVID-19 can cause major health problems like organ failure and pneumonia. Yes, the flu is lethal too. But unlike the flu, there's no vaccine for COVID-19 and, because it's new, people don't have a measure of immunity to it.

In an odd way, the most insidious thing about COVID-19 is that for many people the effects are moderate -- so moderate that people go about their business and infect huge populations as a result. The combination of potential lethality and high transmissibility is what makes this coronavirus so problematic, and why governments are asking people to limit contact with others as much as humanly possible.

The other 18 coronaviruses are not like this one, other than that they share the RNA-based definition you list above. COVID-19 appears to have a mutation that makes it closer in some ways to Ebola and HIV (which are not coronaviruses). COVID-19 attacks a different protein on the body than other coronaviruses and it has a much greater ability to bind to cells. Both the common cold and COVID-19 can be subsets of coronaviruses, but COVID-19 can cause major health problems like organ failure and pneumonia. Yes, the flu is lethal too. But unlike the flu, there's no vaccine for COVID-19 and, because it's new, people don't have a measure of immunity to it.

In an odd way, the most insidious thing about COVID-19 is that for many people the effects are moderate -- so moderate that people go about their business and infect huge populations as a result. The combination of potential lethality and high transmissibility is what makes this coronavirus so problematic, and why governments are asking people to limit contact with others as much as humanly possible.

I totally agree, which goes back to me saying that I respect that this is a new virus and therefore has different effects. However, I also believe that people can go overboard and be overprotective.

Kind of like a mom/dad not wanting his/her child to go outside and ride a bike (ever) because he/she might fall off and get hurt. Or never letting him/her learn how to drive. Sure, you take that risk out of the equation (ie can't fall off of a bike if you never get on one; can't cause a car wreck if you never get behind the wheel). However, that means you're not allowing your child to have a life.

Point being, how long is long enough? Wait until the vaccine is ready? Will there ever even be a vaccine (ie your example of HIV is a good example)? How far is far enough (ie you can only get 6 ft from someone; why 6 ft; why not 5 ft)? How many is too many (ie a group of people in a gathering; 2, 3, 5 people)? By then there could be a COVID-20 and COVID-21. Then what?? Say we waited 18 months (or however long it takes for the vaccine) to come out. Great. That's 18 months of being on pins and needles (no pun intended) and being afraid to go to work, school etc.

There is an unknown variable. I respect that. However, I also say being overprotective eventually has the opposite affect. Right now they are saying 15 days to slow the virus down. Why 15? That's a check-up to see where we stand? Again. Why 15? Why not 7? Why not an even two weeks (ie 14 days)? Please understand these are NOT smart @$$ questions. The main thing I am asking is how long are we going to let this dictate the way we live? If you say until we get a vaccine and/or learn enough about it, then I ask (again) what is defined as enough and who gets to say it is enough? Like the Energizer Bunny. It could just keep going and going and going....

I understand that the public needs to know about the virus and what to do but the media is driving me crazy, this afternoon the President spoke for over an hour about what was going on and it sounds like a broken record repeating the same thing over and over. The one thing that caught my attention is how money is going to be sent to everyone and my concern is where is this money coming from, I don't want the gov't dipping into the social security so when it comes time for others to retire they have nothing. I think the best thing to do right now is to put your money in your piggy bank or buy some stocks at a low price and when this mess is over you might be lucky and have doubled you money and shares.
Wishing all of you well and May God Bless You,

Sue

... There's this thing called the flu and it kills people also. ...

The biggest problem with Covid19, aside from the extremely high infectuousness of it, is that something like 10-20% of people who get infected end up needing critical care - hospitalization. Even if they don't die, they require a lot of medical care for several weeks. No nation on earth has a medical industry equipped with people, materials or equipment to handle a massive spike in covid19 patients. The hysteria to employ social distancing and shut down public events is an attempt to slow the spread of the infections so that hospital systems don't get overwhelmed. Hospital systems get overwhelmed and it's not just covid19 patients that can't get the care they need. China already experienced this. Italy is on the brink.

Italy will rush 10,000 student doctors into service, scrapping their final exams, in an effort to help the struggling health service cope with the coronavirus which claimed another 345 lives.

The death toll rose to 2,503 over the past 24 hours, the Civil Protection Agency said, while the total number of confirmed cases increased to 31,506 from a previous 27,980 - the largest number outside China.

The crisis has pushed hospitals to breaking point at the epicenter of the contagion in northern Italy and left other regions scrambling to strengthen their own health systems as the number of infected rises nationwide.

“Lombardy is on the point of collapse. All the intensive care beds and respirators are being used,” said Matteo Salvini, head of the League party which governs the wealthy region.

More: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-idUSKBN214245

Also, it's not clear that being infected and recovering builds any immunity to a secondary infection. From what I've read, covid19 causes damage to the lungs and heart and some people have died from catching it a second time and succumbing to heart failure. Covid19 is not the "normal" (ie. influenza) flu. It's not a joke.

You know the thing that sticks out to me the most about all this? Its simple really how much we are all afraid of what is going on, it does not matter if we are worried about the consequence of spending money or if you are worried you will contract it or somebody near and dear to us who we know is not able to fight it off or who will have a hard time fighting it off gets it. It makes no difference if its a cold or a flu or anything else, who cares right because when it hits home its personal and it hurts, it hurts a lot.

But the one thing we all need and never ask for, it does not matter where in the world we live, is help of some description, can you describe the help you need, really, think a minuet, there is so much you want and yet you do not know where to stop. I need help getting to work, help cutting the grass, help with problems I do not want to admit having. Well guess what, we are all in the same boat, even me and if I am to be be any way honest I probably qualify for being afraid of showing just how much I can depend on others, I always hid behind a reputation of being a nasty person when I worked but the funny part is I was the one who started the rumour and gave the reputation. What I am saying is, it does not matter about money or health, it matters about other people, not you and I but those around us and if we look we will see more good being done by people so lets try and add to the good instead of this is the truth about it and getting angry with each other, I do it as well.

I am as afraid as anybody but There is a lot of good being done by people right now, lets look for the good and add to the good.

Last edited:
I totally agree, which goes back to me saying that I respect that this is a new virus and therefore has different effects. However, I also believe that people can go overboard and be overprotective.

There is an unknown variable. I respect that. However, I also say being overprotective eventually has the opposite affect. Right now they are saying 15 days to slow the virus down. Why 15? That's a check-up to see where we stand? Again. Why 15? Why not 7? Why not an even two weeks (ie 14 days)? Please understand these are NOT smart @$$ questions. The main thing I am asking is how long are we going to let this dictate the way we live? If you say until we get a vaccine and/or learn enough about it, then I ask (again) what is defined as enough and who gets to say it is enough? Like the Energizer Bunny. It could just keep going and going and going....

The risks of under-reaction are much more catastrophic than the risks of over-reaction.

Why 6 ft? The virus can spread within 6 ft.

Our two main supermarkets here have put further limits on items, this is to try to majestic it more fairer for shoppers 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️.

I was at one of the supermarkets tonight after I got my medications and I was in the aisle that sells the junk food (chips, biscuits on one side) chocolate and lollies on the other. I was looking at the chocolates and one of the workers was filling up the potato chips. I said to him with a grin nice to see there is still plenty of junk food, he said yep plenty of junk food. I asked of there was limit on chocolate bars and he said not yet.

I actually don’t eat a real lot of junk food anymore but found that funny, thought people would’ve been stocking up on junk. Maybe that will go next 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 8035DA71-15DB-4388-AD21-25DAFEE807F6.jpeg
    8035DA71-15DB-4388-AD21-25DAFEE807F6.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DADEBE59-6AAF-4507-B717-D854B1BC176A.jpeg
    DADEBE59-6AAF-4507-B717-D854B1BC176A.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom