Coronavirus

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hello. Here, our schools are shut down. My older son came home from for spring break kind of expecting that his school (University of IL) may extend spring break or close the campus. They did close the campus--he's doing everything online. My younger son's middle school is closed, too. We (my husband & I) aren't going out unless we need to get grocery.

Its the same in Ireland, some travel restrictions, all schools and universities are closed everything is online, even working from home. Most are keeping the social distancing rule and staying in unless getting exercise for a few minuets in the morning and afternoon.

Most starts are about or were about to start Easter school holidays so most states started the holidays early and are now doing online schooling.

We aren’t in complete lock down yet but the government has just bought in stricter rules. Only aloud out when going to shops, medical supplies, exercise and work (where required as they’re encouraging people to work from home).

They are talking about bringing in stricter regulations here in Ireland, the rugby game against Australia is cancelled that is in September so they are expecting things to last for awhile it seems.

Now that i can't even go out for my state-sanctioned 1 form of exercise a day i'm going stir crazy lol. I've actually lost weight because i can't go out for tasty snacks, i can't possibly cook any more batch meals because the freezer is full, and i'm considering washing the dishes for something to do. I'm not allowed out at least until i've finished my anti-viral meds, and i have another 4 days. On the bright side i got some Lyrica yesterday to help with shingles pain. Also, toasted soda with garlic butter is my new favourite thing on this planet. That is all.

Now that i can't even go out for my state-sanctioned 1 form of exercise a day i'm going stir crazy lol. I've actually lost weight because i can't go out for tasty snacks, i can't possibly cook any more batch meals because the freezer is full, and i'm considering washing the dishes for something to do. I'm not allowed out at least until i've finished my anti-viral meds, and i have another 4 days. On the bright side i got some Lyrica yesterday to help with shingles pain. Also, toasted soda with garlic butter is my new favourite thing on this planet. That is all.
Lou
Did you find out if your pharmacy have delivery service for your meds?
I have to collect my meds on Thursday, I get mine every 2 weeks but I know if I wanted them for longer the pharmacist will do them longer. As when it was Christmas I got them done for 4 weeks, other wise I would’ve had to go and collect them right on Christmas period.

I’ve never had shingles so don’t know your pain 😕 but hope you feel better soon

I’m not sure how much longer until we go to the next stage where everything’s closed downs except important businesses like medical and supermarkets, petrol stations etc

They are talking about bringing in stricter regulations here in Ireland, the rugby game against Australia is cancelled that is in September so they are expecting things to last for awhile it seems.
I think pretty much most of the sports have been cancelled.
The Australian rules football was just getting started and only played 1 maybe 2 rounds with no crowds but they’ve cancelled the season.
Not sure about the NRL, the rugby I’m assuming they’ve now cancelled their season aswell

They’ve just bought in that Indoor & Outdoor gatherings are now restricted to 2 people except for if it’s family members who live with you. So basically you can’t have parties or friends for dinner

On the bright side i got some Lyrica yesterday to help with shingles pain.
My sister just got over shingles, though she still has bit of tingling every now and then. I hope you are doing okay, I understand the pain is not like any other. :(

They are now talking about shutting down the school in NY for the rest of the yr. and pushing students on to the next grade
even if they are failing. I may have to look for another job because they may cut the pay for teacher aides.

Loopy Lou,
I'm so sorry to hear that you have shingles I hope you get over it quickly. I have an aunt that had it and she had her good days
and bad days.
Wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

My sister just got over shingles, though she still has bit of tingling every now and then. I hope you are doing okay, I understand the pain is not like any other. :(

Yeah it totally sucks, this is the second time i've had them. It's on the nerve that goes from spine, across shoulder and down my left arm. I caught it a little earlier this time, so i've only had a couple of blisters on my shoulder since i started the anti virals early, but the nerve pain and headaches are horrendous. My brother went to pick up my meds for me, he's so speedy it only took him 20 mins to walk there, collect them and walk back haha (but then again everything is much closer here than in US)

I'm so bored i just spent half an hour cleaning every bit of the microwave and the area around it. So one particular area of my kitchen is completely spotless haha

Schools have been closed here for a week or two now, there's security on shops to enforce the 2 metre rule and keep track of how many people are in the shop. We're allowed for 1 walk a day or to get essential shopping. Many shops in town have even sectioned off non-essential aisles (such as toys, home decorating etc). All restaurants including fast food such as mcdonalds are closed. Everyone is strictly rationed to 2 of any one item to prevent hoarding, so it seems like the shops are recovering in stock a little now so at least people can get what we need. Luckily i already had hand sanitiser and plenty of soap in, plus a drawer with supplies i've previously taken from hotels etc, so i've been handing them out to anyone who tells me they couldn't get any soap/shampoo etc haha

I live in an area that normally has pretty heavy air traffic. Close enough to Hobby Airport to see/hear big commercial jets. Close enough to Ellington to see/hear UPS and FEDEX cargo planes and astronauts training in the Big Guppy or T-38 jets. Two small regional airports where citizens fly their Cesnas all day. Near enough hospitals that life flight helicopters aren't an uncommon sight.

Yesterday, I went for a jog at the running track of a nearby Junior High School. As I was walking over there, it struck me how quiet it was. Zero air traffic much like in the aftermath of 9/11. I could still hear the buzz of car/truck traffic but even that wasn't the constant roar that you usually ignore as background noise.

One thing i've noticed becoming more apparent today, is not finding anything to watch on tv. Obviously because all TV studios etc have closed (except for news), there's only so many soaps etc that have been pre-recorded, so they've gone from every night to a couple of nights a week. Any live shows that are mid-series are without a studio audience and it seems really bizarrre :O

Today i found myself scrubbing the microwave for something to do. Have left the oven cleaning for tomorrow so i have something to look forward to :LOL: oh the excitement!

It’s getting more like a ghost town where I live and I live in a country town.
I get the bus to work and for the past week the drivers who have taken me to work haven’t been charging so they don’t have to handle money because of the corona virus. Apparently there only a couple of drivers here still taking money but I think one of the drivers said they were doing it in the city aswell.

The same with the chemist, I go to the chemist every 2 weeks to get my Webster packs. Usually when they give me my packs I sign them of but today when the girl went to give them she wasn’t sure if I needed to sign. I said usually I do (I’ve been going to this pharmacy for a while) so the girl checked with the pharmacist and he confirmed I didn’t need to sign for my packs at the moment. I went oh ok, obviously not while the whole corona virus is going on.
I still had to sign the receipt when I paid for them though as I’m on an account but I like to pay it each fortnight so it doesn’t get too expensive.

When I was at the shopping centre tonight going to the chemist it was crazy how many shops were closed. There were already a few empty shops after they moved to the main streets a couple of years ago but at the moment the food court is closed, clothing, shoe shops closed, optometrist are closed. Only shops that looked like were open was target, another retail shop shop, a cheap shop, a music shop, Nik Nak shop, chemist, supermarket and post office.

But I’m sure soon all that will be open will be the post office, supermarket and chemist.

Unless our jobs are essential, we are supposed to stay at home -- at least until May 1st, according to the most recent policy. I talked to a friend who is an obstetric nurse, and she's exhausted. She can't do her work from home, that's for sure. And when she does get home, as soon as she's in the door she strips her clothes and throws them in the wash, takes a shower, and then waves at her husband from a safe distance.

Unless our jobs are essential, we are supposed to stay at home -- at least until May 1st, according to the most recent policy. I talked to a friend who is an obstetric nurse, and she's exhausted. She can't do her work from home, that's for sure. And when she does get home, as soon as she's in the door she strips her clothes and throws them in the wash, takes a shower, and then waves at her husband from a safe distance.
We havent gotten got to that stage yet but I'm expecting it wont be too far away before we're in total lock down.
On the weekend we got to the stage where you were only aloud out if groceries, medical supplies, exercise and work (where required).
The police are doing checks to make sure people are doing the right thing and food businesses arent doing sit down service. if you get caught theres a huge fine.

Where I work we can still work and we are trying to get as many jobs done before we get locked down. Out of all of us at work the guy who works out the front with me & the bookeeper are workin from home. They're really the only 2 who can work from home, the rest of us have to be at work.
I have to go in as I am front desk reception but I'm only 3 days so it usually go fast. The other guys at work have to work since they have to make the cabinets.

Our politicians are having another meeting this week (think its tomorrow) so I wouldnt be suprised if there will be stricter rescrictions bought in after the meeting.

Things are not good anywhere, it seems we are all coming under the same laws and to be honest this is one time I think it is for our own good. Everyone please take care and mind yourselves and your families.

Its not quite a full lock down in Ireland yet but its getting there, only essentail business is open.

Had to go out the other day and saw that the shops are really recovering. I managed to get pasta, noodles, loo roll, and the frozen stuff had been restocked. There was even places that had hand sanitiser in! Everyone in town must be eating an awful lot of bananas and eggs though because i couldn't get them for love nor money. And the potato shortage! I mean, it's not the great famine but.... what can i say, i live up to the stereotype and i wanted to make potato bread! On the bright side, whilst people have been buying up the normal bread, they've left the "world food" section alone, which is where i get my buttermilk, soda, and potato bread from lol.

Ironic that i now have all the time i could want to bake, but i don't have the ingredients or enough people to eat the stuff :LOL: (mince and onion pie tomorrow, if anyone wants a share!)

Its not quite a full lock down in Ireland yet but its getting there, only essentail business is open.

Aye, i've a friend in Dublin (I'm in the "other" Dubh Linn lol) who's been giving updates, it seems like you guys were on the ball with shutting stuff down before England was.

I can't wait until kids are studying this in school in long years to come. We'll be the "old people" who lived through it :geek:

I can't wait until kids are studying this in school in long years to come. We'll be the "old people" who lived through it :geek:

Thanks a million, I am trying to forget about that part after my niece telling me I was old because I knew who the band "The Police" are. All I said was the music now is not that good, boy am I sorry, talk about a telling off from a 12 year old. 🤣

Not so sure Ireland was ahead of you guys, it's a lot easier in Ireland there is only a population of 5 million. Truthfully this thing does not follow rules anywhere, we can blame who we like but the bottom line is keep people safe and to hell with the rest until we get that sorted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom