Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello Friends...

I don't how to keep doing this. I'm currently studying in Istanbul, Turkey and my Epilepsy has gotten way out of hand. So I'll be starting a new medication. The problem is the side-effects terrify me and I'll be dealing with anything that comes from the new medication, as well as the side effects from my old medication and trying to go to school. I barely have enough strength to get out of bed some mornings... it just feels like I can't get a break. I realize this sounds so depressive and I'm sorry. I'm not an overly sad person normally but it feels like swimming... you're fine until suddenly you get a leg cramp and then the water is closing in over your head. Its just so much to deal with...

How do you do this? (life...friends... relationships...all of it)
How do you not get angry at everyone who doesn't have to deal with this?
Have you been on Tegretol CR before or are you on it now? What was it like?

-Mary
:e:

Last edited:
Hello Intothatendlessblue,

I am sure you feel like u r drowning never mind swimming, but CHIN UP……how about floating for a bit? Being easy on YOU..

That being said, you are going through a med transaction, you need time and rest....can you give yourself a break, to really chill….even couple of days?

How do you do this? (Life...friends... relationships...all of it)
• Know your loved ones and friends are there to support you, educate them on what you are going through, do not expect them to understand unless you have presented 'the REAL E info" have you done this?

• Know that we all have our cross to bear.....seriously...E or not....I’ll be dammed if I can find another human sailing through life...

• No, my Son of 27 has E not me, but here are the users feedback, it’s a start and CWE family can/will tell you much more on this med that I can...

http://www.askapatient.com/searchresults.asp?searchField=Tegretol+.

Keep plugging, one foot in front of the other and you keep marching forward, to the future.

Intothatendlessblue

That is ok none of us know how to keep doing this, you just do. The side effects are something that will be a surprise because you could end up with good control and little or no side effects, but you will not know until you try them. You barely have enough strength to get out of bed, this I understand but you still get up. Its never easy to deal with any of this but we have to, yes we need help from each other.

The part about life, well its life unfortunately, friends you are among and I am sure you will make your own friends without help and relationships, this is something only you will be able to tell us about and they will be good.

Who said we do not get angry at others who do not have to deal with this, you have to try and remember only you can deal with this so what others tell you is something you have a choice of listing to. You do not have to get angry at others because you could be them, then you would have a problem.

As for Tegretol, well I found it good but others did not like it so whether or not you do I cannot tell neither can you until you try. So you see this is all about you and it is up to you to say this is not going to rule my life, I might have epilepsy but that is not my life and then you have reasons to get up and try to defeat this.

Intothatendlessblue
So you see this is all about you and it is up to you to say this is not going to rule my life, I might have epilepsy but that is not my life and then you have reasons to get up and try to defeat this.

Thank you. I don't have the right words in any language to say Thank you deeply enough... so this will have to do. Thank you for reminding me that I don't have to let this define me. That this is not who I am. I read this last night and I stopped what I was doing, just stopped and considered the things I'd put on the back burner over all of this...

This morning I got back to work on my grad school application for the school I really want... a school in Ningbo, China.

Thank you.

Hey I think all the people on his site are incredibly brave for what they each have to deal with in their personal lives. When I read about someone like you who is going to school in a foreign country as well as dealing with E it humbles me. You have accomplished so much and obviously dealt with E head on in the past so don't give up for a single minute - you are an inspiration to those of us just starting out.

Same here, you are an inspiration to us all, coping with E is difficult, learning a different language is hard. but also schooling in foreign countries wow.

And on your notes

It is hard work, friends relationships, they do suffer and yes I've had to cut loose people because it was better for me, selfish for me but survival.

Anger, yeap lots, but what really gets me angry are so called normal people throwing there life away doing drugs, what a waste, I have no option but take med's, I don't want to and wish I didn't. But I have to.

First off, great job dealing with E while in school in a different country. I know things are tough right now but you sound like a very strong person. You will get through this tough time.

As for your questions..

How do you do this? (life...friends... relationships...all of it)

It can be tough, but hopefully people understand your situation. With the support of friends and family (and CWE!) you can get through this. Just don't let the E win.. remember that you deserve to have a happy life and don't let E ruin that.

It can be hard sometimes. They experience what we do, they don't understand. i find this especially tough with co-workers, etc.. i've had to educate so many people on E so they know what it's really like/ it's hard to not get mad at the ignorant people though. the people who don't care. Just remember the love and support of your family and friends.

I was on Tegretol CR from the age of 12 to 23. It worked decently to control my tc's, but i still had plenty of sp's. made university tough, i can relate to what you're going through. Quantum physics is hard enough on its own, having sp's in class didn't help.. lol. Near the end it started to cloud my brain a lot and i switched to lamotrigine. Now i have lots of auras and some tc's, but not many full sp's. but after 11 years of lamotrigine my brain is clouded as well.

Things will get better Mary!!

Back
Top Bottom