[MAD] diet does it work?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Belinda5000

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with this diet controlling there seizures?
I talked with my neuro about going on it for my sz's because nothing basically works for me.

Hi Belinda,

I am on the Glycemic Index Diet. It works for me. I have never tried the MAD diet.

I looked up one of epileric's links. MAD is a high fat low carbohydrate diet. Any diet that is high in fat will increase your triglycerides, bad cholesterol and is bad for the heart.

I must have said that I did try it but I do not remember saying it. I know that I tried the diet that has no milk in it, what is the name of that diet? It did not work for me.

Moderation in all things. I have only 3 ounces of meat at night.

I hope I have clarified it.

Recently we are strictly controlling my wife's diet and in ketosis. 5 meals per day same thing every meal. And what a surprise as we got settled in to the diet we had three seizures about a week apart which is about a normal rate. The interesting thing was each was associated with a vigorous 2.5 mi walk. One near the start, one in the middle one near the end. Then three consecutive seizures each 1/2 way through the walk. Never have we had anything so repetitive in decades

Today she walked a cooler, less strenuous, 2.5 mi. No seizure. We suspect acidosis. Will start ph strips. Take zonigran down a notch. Take Keto diet down a notch and take the lime lemon baking soda tonic described in another thread until we know acidosis is not at a crucial level
It's getting very interesting. We put in everything as much the same as we can and get somewhat alarming and repeatable results.

Tentative conclusion same inputs = same outputs. And yes diet holds part of the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've recently found out that I can't do the MAD diet because of my afib.
I had a minor stroke a tia when I changed my diet.

Back
Top Bottom