Dietary changes and seizure control

How much coconut oil do you take every day?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

List of Clinical Trials involving Coconut - U.S. National Institute of Health

Rank NCT Number Title

1 NCT01962844 Coconut Oil in Cardiovascular Disease
2 NCT02152111 Hipoenergetic Effect of Diet Associated or Not With the Consumption of Coconut Flour in Women With Overweight
3 NCT01883648 Study to Evaluate Coconut Oil for Alzheimer's Disease
4 NCT01364948 Effect of Coconut Oil Application in Reducing Water Loss From Skin of Premature Babies in First Week of Life (TEWL)
5 NCT01758068 Effect of Twice Daily Application of Coconut Oil in Reducing Water Loss From Skin of Premature Babies in First Week of Life
6 NCT01445431 A Trial on the Efficacy and Safety of Virgin Coconut Oil Compared to Mineral Oil in the Treatment of Uremic Xerosis
7 NCT01885611 Virgin Coconut Oil Oral Supplementation for Leprosy Patients
8 NCT01821456 Cologne Cohort of Neutropenic Patients (CoCoNut)
9 NCT01876394 Comparison of Dietary Fats on Vascular Parameters
10 NCT02079571 Investigation of Pulse Waves, Channel Entries, and Food Attributes in Healthy Subjects With Different Constitutions
11 NCT02245113 Effects of High Oleic Palm Olein, Virgin Olive Oil and Coconut Oil Diets on Markers Selected in Malaysian
12 NCT01250275 Effects of Canola Oil on Blood Vessel Function in Peripheral Arterial Disease
13 NCT01381354 Nutrition, Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES) and Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (SPMS)
14 NCT00941837 Effect of Dietary Fat Type in Combination With High Protein on Plasma Homocysteine Levels
15 NCT01378767 Health Benefits of a 21-day Daniel Fast
16 NCT01806831 Efficacy and Safety of Biocellulose Sheet Containing Anti-hyperpigmentation Agent ("Biocellulose Mask", "Farhorm®") in Patients Receiving Laser Treatment
17 NCT01396642 Topical Emollient Therapy
18 NCT01542970 Can Supplementation With Lactobacillus Reuteri and Omega-3 Fatty Acids During Pregnancy and Lactation Reduce the Risk of Allergic Disease in Infancy?
19 NCT00958685 Safety Study of Feeding With Ginger Extract in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
20 NCT00396643 Indicated Prevention With Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Adolescents With 'At-Risk-Mental-State' for Psychosis
21 NCT00592072 Effect of Medium Chain Fatty Acids on Cognitive Function During Acute Hypoglycemia in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes
22 NCT01759667 DIT After RYGB - A Prospective Study
23 NCT01307748 Effects of Stress-reducing Aromatherapy
24 NCT00336908 Inflammatory Responses to Lipid Emulsions in Children Before and After Open Heart Surgery
25 NCT02142569 Effects of a Supplement Derived From Palm Oil on Cholesterol Levels and Chinese Red Yeast Rice in the Blood
26 NCT02009748 Vitamin D Supplementation in Cirrhotic Patients
27 NCT01000714 Determination of the Efficacy and Safety of Psirelax in the Relief of the Disease in Psoriasis
28 NCT01363167 Identifying Vitamin D Deficiency in Very Low Birth Weight Infant (VLBW) Infants Part 2
29 NCT02029833 Canola Oil Multi-Centre Intervention Trial II
30 NCT01595893 Vitamin D Supplementation in Polymorphic Light Eruption
31 NCT02085213 GOT-IT Trial: Glyceryl Trinitrate for Retained Placenta
32 NCT00669422 ChemoFx® PRO - A Post-Market Data Collection Study

List of Clinical Trials involving Turmeric - U.S. National Institute of Health

Rank NCT Number Title

1 NCT01906840 Role of Turmeric on Oxidative Modulation in ESRD Patients
2 NCT01015937 Effect of Turmeric on Diabetic Nephropathy
3 NCT01037595 Effect of Turmeric on Pruritus in Hemodialysis Patients
4 NCT01634256 A Human Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Fermented Turmeric in Subjects Showing Mild Hepatic Injury
5 NCT00992004 Evaluation of the Efficacy of a Turmeric Extract (Arantal®) in Patients With Osteoarthritis of the Knee (Gonarthrosis).
6 NCT02442453 Effect of Scaling and Root Planing Along With Topical Application of Commercially Available Curcuma Longa Gel on Superoxide Dismutase and Malondialdehyde Levels in Saliva of Chronic Periodontitis Patients
7 NCT01831193 Effect of Oral Supplementation With Curcumin (Turmeric) in Patients With Proteinuric Chronic Kidney Disease
8 NCT00969085 Trial of Curcumin in Cutaneous T-cell Lymphoma Patients
9 NCT01344291 Turmeric Effect on Reduction of Serum Prolactin and Related Hormonal Change and Adenoma Size in Prolactinoma Patients
10 NCT00219882 Safety Study of Orally Administered Curcuminoids in Adult Subjects With Cystic Fibrosis
11 NCT00792818 The Efficacy and Safety of Curcuma Domestica Extracts and Ibuprofen in Knee Osteoarthritis
12 NCT00542711 Bio-availability of a New Liquid Tumeric Extract
13 NCT02404701 Effect of Over-the-counter Dietary Supplements on Kidney Stone Risk
14 NCT02008981 Effect of Herbal Products on Platelet Function and Clotting
15 NCT00779493 Curcumin (Tumeric) in the Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Randomized-Controlled Trial
16 NCT01859858 A Prospective Evaluation of the Effect of Curcumin on Dose Limiting Toxicity and Pharmacokinetics of Irinotecan in Patients With Solid Tumors.
17 NCT00235625 Curcuminoids for the Treatment of Chronic Psoriasis Vulgaris
18 NCT02409381 Extract of Curcuma Longa Complexed With Phosphatidilcholine(Motore®)in the Treatment of Adults With Knee Osteoarthritis
19 NCT02300727 Study to See How Safe Curcumin is and How Well it Works When Used to Treat Mucositis in Patients Getting Chemotherapy
20 NCT01022632 Effect of Curcumin as Nutraceutical in Patients of Depression
21 NCT01418066 Ayurvedic Herbs in Diarrhea Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome
22 NCT02203227 Efficacy and Safety Study of Dietary Supplements in Chronic Smokers Having Mild to Moderate Hyperlipidemia
23 NCT02100202 Efficacy and Safety Study of Dietary Supplements in Chronic Smokers Having Mild to Moderate Hyperlipidemia
24 NCT01928043 Adjunctive Curcumin for Symptomatic Adolescents With Bipolar Disorder: Brain and Body Considerations
25 NCT00641147 Curcumin in Treating Patients With Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
26 NCT01917890 Radiosensitizing and Radioprotectve Effects of Curcumin in Prostate Cancer
27 NCT02172625 The Effect of Protandim Supplementation on Oxidative Damage and Athletic Performance
28 NCT01982734 Improved Oral Bioavailability of Curcumin Incorporated Into Micelles
29 NCT01066182 The DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) Oxford Learning and Behaviour (DOLAB) Study
30 NCT01192269 Cheek Cells - Non-invasive Fatty Acid Status Marker
31 NCT02104752 Curcumin as a Novel Treatment to Improve Cognitive Dysfunction in Schizophrenia
32 NCT01383161 18-Month Study of Curcumin
33 NCT01201694 Phase I Study of Surface-Controlled Water Soluble Curcumin (THERACURMIN CR-011L)
34 NCT00099710 Curcumin in Patients With Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease
35 NCT01160302 Curcumin Biomarker Trial in Head and Neck Cancer
36 NCT01489592 Effect of Curcumin on Iron Metabolism in Healthy Volunteer
37 NCT02277223 Curcumin in Pediatric Ulcerative Colitis
38 NCT02064673 Adjuvant Curcumin to Assess Recurrence Free Survival in Patients Who Have Had a Radical Prostatectomy
39 NCT00752154 Curcumin in Rheumatoid Arthritis
40 NCT02281981 The Effects of Repeated Bouts of Downhill Running and Curcumin Supplementation on Arterial Stiffness During Recovery
41 NCT02189083 Study of Tumor-shrinking Decoction (TSD) to Treat Symptomatic Uterine Fibroids
42 NCT02213523 ABG Oxidative Stress Study Protocol-1
43 NCT01880398 Management of Fistula in Ano by Kshar Sutra, Para Surgical Procedure.
44 NCT02255370 Curcumin Associated With Thiopurin in the Prevention of Post-op Recurrence in Crohn Disease
45 NCT01514370 Dietary Supplement of Curcumin in Subjects With Active Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis Treated With Subcutaneous Interferon Beta 1a
46 NCT01294072 Study Investigating the Ability of Plant Exosomes to Deliver Curcumin to Normal and Colon Cancer Tissue
47 NCT01246973 Oral Curcumin for Radiation Dermatitis
48 NCT00977730 The Effect of Protandim on Non-alcoholic Steatohepatitis
49 NCT01811381 Curcumin and Yoga Therapy for Those at Risk for Alzheimer's Disease
50 NCT01948661 Anthocyanin Extract and Phospholipid Curcumin in Colorectal Adenoma
51 NCT01042938 Curcumin for the Prevention of Radiation-induced Dermatitis in Breast Cancer Patients
52 NCT01925287 Oral Bioavailability of Curcumin From Micronized Powder and Liquid Micelles in Healthy Young Women and Men
53 NCT00295035 Phase III Trial of Gemcitabine, Curcumin and Celebrex in Patients With Metastatic Colon Cancer
54 NCT02369549 Micro-Particle Curcumin for the Treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease
55 NCT00486460 Phase III Trial of Gemcitabine, Curcumin and Celebrex in Patients With Advance or Inoperable Pancreatic Cancer
56 NCT02213588 Effects of Plant Concentrate Blend on Oxidative Stress in Healthy Humans
57 NCT02146157 Trial of an Herb and Mineral Combination Product on Fasting Glucose in Adults at Risk for Developing Diabetes
58 NCT02476708 A Pilot Trial of Curcumin Effects on Cognition in Schizophrenia
59 NCT00954902 Effects of Antioxidants on Cardiovascular Risk Measures (Spice Study)
60 NCT01125501 Protandim and the Metabolic Syndrome
61 NCT00799630 Effects of Nutraperf Consumption in Runners
62 NCT01956500 Instaflex and Joint Pain in Community Adults
63 NCT01968564 Oral Curcumin Supplementation in Middle-Aged and Older Adults Improves Vascular Function
64 NCT01488656 Effects of Dietary Supplements on Response to Air Pollution
65 NCT02413099 The Efficacy and Safety of New Herbal Formula (KBMSI-2) in the Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction
66 NCT02321293 A Open-label Prospective Cohort Trial of Curcumin Plus Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors (TKI) for EGFR -Mutant Advanced NSCLC
67 NCT01875822 Open-label Study of Curcumin C-3 Complex in Schizophrenia
68 NCT01333917 Curcumin Biomarkers
69 NCT01320436 Curcumin + Aminosalicylic Acid (5ASA) Versus 5ASA Alone in the Treatment of Mild to Moderate Ulcerative Colitis
70 NCT01469936 Effect of PERMEAPROTECT on the Quality of Life of Patients With Fibromyalgia
71 NCT02088307 Study of the Cardiovascular Vitamin, CardioLife
72 NCT01864473 Management of Vaginal Fistula by Kshar Sutra, a Minimally Invasive Treatment

Last edited:
Hi Karen,

I saw some article about keto diet for children. Some say children will be able to get off this diet after sometimes after they are seizure free. Is it true? I would think if thats the case, then this diet will actually heal the cause and not just like medicine to control it, agree? I would imagine the fat used in this diet will heal the brain abnormal activity ... and not just control it .... agree?

The Keto diet is neuroprotective and some studies hint that it may actually be neuroregenerative. Also, the longer one goes without a seizure, the higher the seizure threshold. Most children on the diet are weaned off after 2 years, if they are seizure free, and many remain seizure free (and a number of these are also med-free).

Children with glut-1 deficiency must remain on the diet their entire lives, as their brains cannot get enough glucose to survive. The diet is the only
treatment for these children -- meds will not stop the seizures, in fact, some meds will increase the seizures. The diet will stop and perhaps even heal the neurological aspects of this disease if started before too much damage is done (seizures will come under control, and the children may be able to walk and talk), but not the underlying genetic condition that causes it.

Other children with very serious seizures that persisted for several years prior to beginning the diet may also have to remain on some form of the diet for a number of years, especially if they have an encephalopathy such as Lennox-Gastaut, etc. The good news is that after a year or two on the diet, it often becomes very easy to maintain ketosis, even on a low ratio of fat to carbs/protein -- so the diet can become a little easier to manage.

If all continues well, our Jonathan will be completely med free by next month -- we've been slowly weaning meds since 2012! He's now down to just 25 mg of Zonegran, which is well below therapeutic levels. He's already been weaned down from 4:1 ratio to 2.5:1 on the diet -- meaning he can get a lot more carbs now. Once the med wean is completed, we will wait 6 months, and if he's still seizure free, then will very slowly wean the diet.

Thanks for all those studies, Jay1. I will definitely be reading some of them.

Glycemic load and anti-inflammatory values

Two other aspects of diet that often affects seizure control are avoiding foods that cause blood sugar spikes (and then crashes) and also limiting foods that tend to cause inflammation (which, to some degree, is related to glycemic load) and eating lots of foods that help with inflammation values. For many people, blood sugar highs and extreme lows tend to trigger seizures. And there's a lot of research going on now on the correlation between inflammatory disease and some forms epilepsy.

Grains (wheat, corn, oats, rice, etc.) and sugar can cause blood sugar spikes, and they also have high inflammatory values. A number of artificial sweeteners also have high glycemic loads and inflammatory values; we stick to pure Stevia (we buy the dried leaves, or drops with nothing else added) for that reason. Some adults and children have been able to attain good seizure control simply by eliminating these from their diet, or at least limiting to very small servings (and sticking with whole grains, so that the carbs are absorbed more slowly). I read one study of adults with epilepsy on a low-carb diet, but not strict enough to put them into ketosis, who gained good control over seizures. I suspect it had to do with maintaining steady serum glucose levels and control over inflammation.

Foods that are highly anti-inflammatory include flaxseed, pecans, olive oil, MCT oil, garlic, ginger, onion, carrots, sweet potato, fish oil and oily fish (salmon, tuna), and almost all green veggies (kale, lettuce, collards, etc.). Many of these foods are staples of the Ketogenic Diet because (with the exception of sweet potatoes) they are low carb and many of them are high in healthy fats along with vitamins and other nutrients that are important to general health as well as good for the brain.

Foods that are moderately anti-inflammatory include olives, canola oil, avocado (once again, Keto diet staples), along with asparagus, cantaloupe, papaya, wax gourd (winter melon - common in Asia), and fish.

(2) Marked Seizure Reduction in a 40 year old man at Neurology Department (Vanderbilt University) after MCT (coconut oil) Supplementation

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crinm/2013/809151/

I found this study intriguing, because all they did was add in MCT oil, without any other modifications to diet. The man got up to 4 TB twice daily (for a total of 8 tablespoons).

This made me curious, so I went into my kitchen, and got out the MCT oil and a tablespoon and the gram scale, and discovered that 1 TB of MCT oil is about 4 grams. So, the gentleman was consuming about 32 grams of MCT oil daily.

The MCT diet (used for children) is a variation of the classic Keto diet (which follows a strict ratio of fats to carbs). MCT oil make attaining and maintaining ketosis much easier, so children on this variation of the diet can eat a lot more carbs, and I think (not sure) they don't have to do all the tiresome measuring. At one point, we were transitioning Jon over to the MCT diet from the classic Keto diet, but he wasn't able to tolerate more than 8 g of MCT oil per meal (about 2 TB), but this did raise his ketones significantly, to the point that he could consume about 4 times more carbs and still maintain excellent ketosis.

Knowing that, I'm curious as to whether they tracked this man's ketone levels during the study. In other words, did the 32 grams of MCT oil each day put him into enough of a state of ketosis (even with no other dietary modifications) to achieve seizure control, or was it some other property of the MCT oil that achieved this end? I also wonder, if he had made some modest changes to diet -- reducing carbs -- if he'd have been able to gain complete seizure freedom?

ETA: I just sent an email to the Neurology Research Dept. at Vanderbilt to try to get some answers. Hopefully, will get a response!

Last edited:
Karen, I am so grateful for your clear, clear posts and thrilled that you, your family and especially Jonathan are heading to honest to goodness health. Thanks so much for telling us about it.

I found this study intriguing, because all they did was add in MCT oil, without any other modifications to diet. The man got up to 4 TB twice daily (for a total of 8 tablespoons).

This made me curious, so I went into my kitchen, and got out the MCT oil and a tablespoon and the gram scale, and discovered that 1 TB of MCT oil is about 4 grams. So, the gentleman was consuming about 32 grams of MCT oil daily.

The MCT diet (used for children) is a variation of the classic Keto diet (which follows a strict ratio of fats to carbs). MCT oil make attaining and maintaining ketosis much easier, so children on this variation of the diet can eat a lot more carbs, and I think (not sure) they don't have to do all the tiresome measuring. At one point, we were transitioning Jon over to the MCT diet from the classic Keto diet, but he wasn't able to tolerate more than 8 g of MCT oil per meal (about 2 TB), but this did raise his ketones significantly, to the point that he could consume about 4 times more carbs and still maintain excellent ketosis.

Knowing that, I'm curious as to whether they tracked this man's ketone levels during the study. In other words, did the 32 grams of MCT oil each day put him into enough of a state of ketosis (even with no other dietary modifications) to achieve seizure control, or was it some other property of the MCT oil that achieved this end? I also wonder, if he had made some modest changes to diet -- reducing carbs -- if he'd have been able to gain complete seizure freedom?

ETA: I just sent an email to the Neurology Research Dept. at Vanderbilt to try to get some answers. Hopefully, will get a response!

Hi Karen,

This is exactly what I have been doing. One tablespoon of coconut oil is 14 ml (120 calories). I have gone up till 8 tablespoon every day but never less than 5 tablespoon. Added one Avocado and some nuts every day. This has allowed my son to eat all other fruits - mango, blueberries, peaches, grapes, apples, papaya and many others.

(Restricted Items - Bottled juice from stores, Bread, Milk, Eggs, Chips and all processed items)

Reducing carbs is definitely the key. More carbs will reduce ketone levels produced by coconut oil. I did read a detailed study about it but can not find the link now. I will post the link once I find it.

My son's ketone levels are

After one month - 1.17
After three months - 2.12
After five months - 2.56

Regards,
Jay

Last edited:
Hi Karen,

This is exactly what I have been doing. One tablespoon of coconut oil is 14 ml (120 calories). I have gone up till 8 tablespoon every day but never less than 5 tablespoon. Added one Avocado and some nuts every day. This has allowed my son to eat all other fruits - mango, blueberries, peaches, grapes, apples, papaya and many others.

(Restricted Items - Bottled juice from stores, Bread, Milk, Eggs, Chips and all processed items)

Reducing carbs is definitely the key. More carbs will reduce ketone levels produced by coconut oil. I did read a detailed study about it but can not find the link now. I will post the link once I find it.

My son's ketone levels are

After one month - 1.17
After three months - 2.12
After five months - 2.56

Regards,
Jay

I'm assuming those numbers are blood ketones? I find that interesting, as, first, even though he's in ketosis, it's fairly light (many keto centers like to see children between 4 to 6). So, he is currently in seizure control with a mild state of ketosis. This is excellent, as fewer side effects than when in deep ketosis (such as acidosis, irritability, etc.).

I also note that his ketone levels are progressively getting higher -- did you increase the coconut oil over time or did they simply rise with the same dosage of coconut oil? I noticed in that one link you posted, contrasting the MCT diet to the classic Keto, that children on the MCT diet had progressively higher ketones during the first year, and then it leveled off.

I also note that you're using coconut oil, rather than MCT, with remarkable success. Are you just having him swallow it from a spoon?

Bread is restricted -- what about other grains?

I'm assuming those numbers are blood ketones? I find that interesting, as, first, even though he's in ketosis, it's fairly light (many keto centers like to see children between 4 to 6). So, he is currently in seizure control with a mild state of ketosis. This is excellent, as fewer side effects than when in deep ketosis (such as acidosis, irritability, etc.).

Yes, these are blood ketones.

I also note that his ketone levels are progressively getting higher -- did you increase the coconut oil over time or did they simply rise with the same dosage of coconut oil? I noticed in that one link you posted, contrasting the MCT diet to the classic Keto, that children on the MCT diet had progressively higher ketones during the first year, and then it leveled off.

Coconut oil has remained more or less constant - around 5-6 tablespoons every day. He also gets one tablespoon of flax oil or hemp oil everyday.

I also note that you're using coconut oil, rather than MCT, with remarkable success. Are you just having him swallow it from a spoon?

Yes, I am making him swallow coconut oil from spoon. Initially, we would mix it in food and then he would not completely eat food. Oral ingestion ensures that he really gets complete intended amount.

He had two incidents of 3-4 hour prolonged status epilepticus within 20 days and now we are six months without seizures. His math percentile (nationwide peers) has increased from 34% in December 2014 to 90% in June 2015. It definitely feels like success even though there is a long way to go.

I will continue my son indefinitely on this diet as it is healthy and easy to do. I am also on the exactly same diet and feel lot of improvement in my own cognition.

Bread is restricted -- what about other grains?

He eats other grains such as quinoa and lentils in moderation. He also eats cashew nuts, flax seed and hemp seed.

Last edited:
Yes, I am making him swallow coconut oil from spoon. Initially, we would mix it in food and then he would not completely eat food. Oral ingestion ensures that he really gets complete intended amount.

His math percentile (nationwide peers) has increased from 34% in December 2014 to 90% in June 2015. It definitely feels like success even though there is a long way to go.

He eats other grains such as quinoa and lentils in moderation. He also eats cashew nuts, flax seed and hemp seed.

(respectfully edited by me) Sounds like you've got a splendid plan in place. We haven't been able to get Jon to swallow oil from a spoon -- he chokes on it.

Wow! That's great about the significant increase in his math scores. A lot of parents report increased cognition in their kids on the diet. A lot of times we have attributed this to the reduction of meds that usually take place, so it's interesting to hear of cognitive improvement in a child not on meds.

Jon gets flaxseed meal and almond flour daily (I use them to make his pumpkin muffins for breakfast, and just bake the MCT oil right in).

(respectfully edited by me) Sounds like you've got a splendid plan in place. We haven't been able to get Jon to swallow oil from a spoon -- he chokes on it.

Wow! That's great about the significant increase in his math scores. A lot of parents report increased cognition in their kids on the diet. A lot of times we have attributed this to the reduction of meds that usually take place, so it's interesting to hear of cognitive improvement in a child not on meds.

Jon gets flaxseed meal and almond flour daily (I use them to make his pumpkin muffins for breakfast, and just bake the MCT oil right in).
I think my son was having absence seizures in years before he had status epilepticus. Somehow, I could not catch it due to lack of knowledge and it might have been affecting my son in academics.

I also used to have 8-10 instances every year where I will be having conversation with someone and suddenly will lose all my thoughts and then come back to normal after a few seconds. Never gave it any thought before. However, there is a possibility that these were very mild absence seizures. I started ingesting coconut oil and I did not have any of these thought losing instances in last 6 months

Oils depicted in green are better for our health.

iu

iu

Last edited:
Oils depicted in green are better for our health.

iu

Most medical centers like to see kids in the Ketogenic Diet for Seizures in the 4 to 6 range, which seems best for seizure control. Lower levels are often not effective enough, at least not in the early stages. But...one thing to remember is that most kids on the diet have had severe seizures for years, so more strident measures are required.

Several of us Keto Moms have noticed that when ketones get over 6, that seizures can get worse, acidosis is likely, and kids get really irritable. One sign of excess ketosis is flushed cheeks. Jon had this going on for awhile, and I thought it was just chapped cheeks from the cold, and then we got a home blood ketone test kit, and to my horror, his ketones were in the 8 range.

Urine test kits are pretty useless, because hydration levels can make the strips lighter or darker than what the ketones really are. A couple months ago, Jon's pediatrician did a urinalysis and said his ketones were negligible, when in fact, a blood test a few minutes later showed ketones in the 5 range.

I just want to confirm that there seems to be something going on with the turmeric.

I have psoriasis on arms and legs, and adding turmeric to everything else, made my psoriasis look like almost normal skin - in just two days! Personally I believe that my psoriasis, gluten and tle is all linked in some way, so if it makes my psoriasis look good, it will be positive for my tle.

curcumin is fat soluble, and I already drink a ginger tea, so I just added turmeric powder, black pepper and coconout-oil to the ginger tea. One teaspoon of each, (also the ginger) - three times a day.

Needless to say this is an awful brew in taste, I don't think any kid would drink this?

I just want to confirm that there seems to be something going on with the turmeric.

I have psoriasis on arms and legs, and adding turmeric to everything else, made my psoriasis look like almost normal skin - in just two days! Personally I believe that my psoriasis, gluten and tle is all linked in some way, so if it makes my psoriasis look good, it will be positive for my tle.

curcumin is fat soluble, and I already drink a ginger tea, so I just added turmeric powder, black pepper and coconout-oil to the ginger tea. One teaspoon of each, (also the ginger) - three times a day.

Needless to say this is an awful brew in taste, I don't think any kid would drink this?

I am not at all surprised.

Turmeric has been used in India for many thousand years as a beauty supplement.

It is awesome for brain. It forms new brain neurons and neural circuits. Epilepsy is just a symptom of your brain complaining that it is not getting any nutrients.

One needs at least 4 tablespoons of coconut oil every day to keep seizures away.

Last edited:
I mix the coconut oil to the tea so that the turmeric powder blends better. Mostly a practical reason, but it seems also logical. I also tried to blend it with peanut butter.

I actually blend 1dl of coconut milk to 1.5 liter of water and drink during the day, to get the coconut fat, about 17g or about +3 teaspoons. It feels better and I imagine the water gives a bigger surface connection to the bowels?

edit: (there seems to be a very weak connection to BMI and seizures, but a strong to excersise, perhaps because the post-excersise ketosis? This is my current method, since excersise works for me. I have to loose weight to hit my BMI and there is no way I’m just going to eat 4 tablespoons of coconut oil. Above BMI and excersise will cause damage to my body. I have to find ways to replace other food.)

Last edited:
Check with your local Asian grocery stores and see if you can find any lemon grass. This makes a nice blend with turmeric as a tea.

Back
Top Bottom