Dilantin and Immune System

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

NaderH

Pillar
Reaction score
I would like to know what is the best way to keep the immune system strong while taking dilantin. Dilantin has an impact on the immune system over time.

Thanks

You know,

that is a REALLY good question, Nader. Having taken Dilantin for 35 years, I didn't really think about it too much, then.........but now I would have to say eating right, and taking vitamins, such as Vitamin C and the B vitamins in particular, for brain health, with exercise and meditation/something similar added in, of course.

I know it sounds simple, but I think it really is. My immune system didn't start falling apart until a few years ago....badly, that is. Now, it's pretty well trashed. :paperbag: But, such is life. I'm still doing pretty well, all things considered.

Hope that helps, a little, at least.......:ponder:

A side-effect of Dilantin is leukopenia, which basically means your white blood cells fall into the sub-normal range. It's something that can show up on a blood test if you need confirmation. You should also check with your doctor about this, but I would agree with Meetz -- all the things that you might do to stay healthy even without Dilantin apply here too. Foods rich in antioxidants (like vitamins A, C, and E) are important, as well as getting plenty of sleep and hydrating properly. Be extra careful if you're in places where you might be exposed to more illnesses (like schools and hospitals).

Best,
Nakamova

Vitamin D

In the paper, we propose that vitamin D explains the following 14 observations:

1. Why the flu predictably occurs in the months following the winter solstice, when vitamin D levels are at their lowest,

2. Why it disappears in the months following the summer solstice,

3. Why influenza is more common in the tropics during the rainy season,

4. Why the cold and rainy weather associated with El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO), which drives people indoors and lowers vitamin D blood levels, is associated with influenza,

5. Why the incidence of influenza is inversely correlated with outdoor temperatures,

6. Why children exposed to sunlight are less likely to get colds,

7. Why cod liver oil (which contains vitamin D) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections,

8. Why Russian scientists found that vitamin D-producing UVB lamps reduced colds and flu in schoolchildren and factory workers,

9. Why Russian scientists found that volunteers, deliberately infected with a weakened flu virus - first in the summer and then again in the winter - show significantly different clinical courses in the different seasons,

10. Why the elderly who live in countries with high vitamin D consumption, like Norway, are less likely to die in the winter,

11. Why children with vitamin D deficiency and rickets suffer from frequent respiratory infections,

12. Why an observant physician (Rehman), who gave high doses of vitamin D to children who were constantly sick from colds and the flu, found the treated children were suddenly free from infection,

13. Why the elderly are so much more likely to die from heart attacks in the winter rather than in the summer,

14. Why African Americans, with their low vitamin D blood levels, are more likely to die from influenza and pneumonia than Whites are.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51913.php

Super-excellent listing Robin -- Vitamin D is definitely a biggie too, linked as it is with everything noted above, and (relatedly) with the absorption of calcium and vitamin C. I'm taking extra Vitamin D, in addition to a Calcium/Magnesium/D supplement. And because sunshine helps trigger the Vitamin D metabolism, I'm hoping I can get a prescription to go to the beach, or maybe a lovely sun-drenched island ;)

Back
Top Bottom