doctors appt and new diagnosis

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tjsmom

New
Reaction score
tj went to the doctor this morning and we got a new diagnosis. our doctor changed his diagnosis from LGS to Doose syndrome. because he shows very little developmental delays that are commonly seen in LGS patients. while i am very glad that he might not have LGS (i say might becuase this is his fourth diagnosis in 10months) i dont really know that much about doose syndrome and what i could find on the internet was vague. the prognosis ranges wildly, and they talk about "remission" like cancer patients. does that mean it can come and go? will he out grow it and be fine? will he get worse? we started felbamate, its been two weeks and while i have seen some improvement, it isnt any better then the other meds that he was on and once she increased them he got worse not better, and today she wants me to increase his felbamate. so now i am nervous. he had a tonic clonic yesterday and while the drops are getting better and the jerks are getting better the tonic clonics have started making their presence known more. ( the same thing happened when he was on trileptal) it just seems like everytime we go to the doctor something new comes up and i spend hours on the net trying to find answers. and i get nothing.................

Sorry to hear about all you have to go through with so many diagnoses. I have gone through similar things with one neurologist even deciding my seizures (which were documented on numerous EEGs) were psychosomatic. It can also be very trying when looking to find the appropriate treatment. I hope it's a small comfort to know that you're definitely not the only person having gone through this.

Have you also checked Myoclonic astatic epilepsy?

Myoclonic astatic epilepsy, also known as Doose syndrome, is a generalized idiopathic epilepsy.

I wish I could help :( ..Just wanted to send ((hugs))...My almost 4 yr old has tonic clonic absence frontal seizures. He started topamax a month ago, but has had bad side effects since increasing to 30mg (was supposed to go up to 75) so, his neuro is switching him to lamotrigine, took his first night dose, and will titrate off the top over the next week or two. I am so stressing, been checking on him every 15 min. He said he did not feel his smile before going to bed, even tho he could smile? Okay - still stressing! Hang in there...

Back
Top Bottom