Doctor's Response Time

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone - On average, how long does it take your doctor to get back to you when you call him/her with a problem, such as meds not working, breakthrough seizures or reaction to your meds? Mine has been taking 2, 3 or even 4-5 days (if over a weekend) to get back to me. By that time I've already been through the ER or self-adjusted the meds, and am doing better. Just wondered if others experienced the same thing. I've already switched neurologists a couple times in the past 5+ years because of this, but maybe this is just how it is.... Thank you. Anne

Hi everyone - On average, how long does it take your doctor to get back to you when you call him/her with a problem, such as meds not working, breakthrough seizures or reaction to your meds? Mine has been taking 2, 3 or even 4-5 days (if over a weekend) to get back to me. By that time I've already been through the ER or self-adjusted the meds, and am doing better. Just wondered if others experienced the same thing. I've already switched neurologists a couple times in the past 5+ years because of this, but maybe this is just how it is.... Thank you. Anne

It varies depending on how busy the Doctor is, and
since your records are transferred to the new Doctor,
the establishment has been set. (This is different from
those who are "brand new" or "first seizure" who requires
immediate attention.)

I sometimes have to wait a week or two before I get
a response back; or even when I am in the Hospital,
it all depends on how long it takes for them to get
all the information in from the Hospital before they
can proceed further, if an appointment is needed to
be made sooner or it can wait.

Neurologist's and Epileptologist's offices are a very
busy place! They are always bumping and rescheduling
people due to the nature of some issues.

I've been bumped ahead, because they've obtained
the reports from the Hospital or the complaint that
I had phoned in on the medication or medications
I was taking was warranted the Doctor's attention.
Other times - I was called to be informed my normal
scheduled appointment was being pushed back (to
which I understood, because someone else was in
need of attention) and they would ask if I need any
prescriptions filled and they would call it in and ask
if I have any problems (a brief update), sometimes
I would be pushed back as long as a month.

It all depends on the patient's history, complaints,
and overall issues.

NEVER EVER SELF-ADJUST YOUR OWN MEDICATION(S)!

And ALWAYS go to the Hospital or dial 911 if you are
ever experiencing any problems with your medications.

YOUR SECONDARY OPTION is to call your Primary
Care Physician if you are unable to reach your Neurologist
on the weekends, your Primary Care is actually your
"General Overseer"; and he/she would give you the
advisories - and most likely of which Hospital to go
to and most likely would advise the Hospital of what
tests to run. Your Primary Care has the power to
make the decision if the titration "is too high" or
"too low" for you or he/she can summon up a
2nd opinion from a Neurologist On-Call to re-evaluate
your situation there for advisories; there is a lot that
a Primary Care Physician can do for you.

But what you are posting is standard and typical
for the average Neurologist Office. And many of
them are closed on the weekends, there are very,
very few Neurologists that are closed on Sundays
and Mondays and only opened half day on Saturdays
for those who are employed Monday --> Friday.
So they are very busy Doctors here, especially
when they have to work with each patient individually.

I realize my daughter has an unusually responsive doc...........

often when I call the office, he'll actually answer the phone!!!!!!!!!

In addition to the office number, I have his private cell phone number!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I've used it 3X in two years)

If he is actually busy with patient, I may have to wait couple of hours for a non-emergency. If was an emergency, I get him right away.

Im happy with our Dr and I do realize he has other patients. He usually will get back to us the same day if not the next day.

joan*

My epileptologist responds within 24 hours. She has given me the privilege of contacting her via email. I know she is very busy at the University of CO. Hospital, teaching, researching, and treating other patients, so I see no reason why, if she can respond within a few hours as busy as she is, other doctors cannot do the same. IMO, there is NO excuse for a dr. to wait 3-5 days to return a call if a patient is having trouble with seizures. That is totally unacceptable.

Cindy

Um, I

have a doc who is a professor at 2 med schools, and has 3 practices, yet manages to get back to me in the same day (if I call early in the day) or the next day (if I call too late). I don't understand docs taking so long to get back to their patients.....

Hi, Anne
Mm-hmm, M.D.'s should usually return calls w/in 48hrs, but you should never have to wait 4 to 5 days:|...Does your neurologist have an assistant who works directly w/him(or her)? When I call, the PA(Physician Assistant)who works directly w/ my neurologist returns calls within a day or 2 w/instructions given by my neurologist. I also wish M.D.'s used email more often, but I understand they'd never get stuff they must get done, finished. I'm glad you're doing better, though. Take care! ~Ann

My son's dr is wonderful and usually gets back to us the same day, most likely at the end of the day when he has more time to talk to me. I too have his mobile number but have only used it once without him expecting me to and he knows Aiden and his history so well that he knew the medications and dosages he is on and what to change them to without having the file in front of him!

On the other hand ...

Well, it might be because on my end, my
Neurologist, he's a special type, works in
Multiple Counties and he's overloaded even
though he has others (Neurologists) working
in his office, he "claims" me as his; so he's all
over the place as well as all over the Hospitals
everywhere! He's in demand, due to the fact
there is a need for more like him in our area
(sadly many of these types of Neurologists
and Epileptologists turns this area down which
result a shortage) - which may very well explain
why it's common for the long wait on my end.

He does have highly trained ARNP's, and his own
personal Nurse does act and cover for him many
times, so we have a close rapport here. His partner
is just too far away at the other office (several
Counties away). So that's how thinly stretched
out he is. I often feel bad for him, because he's
just overloaded, but he is an awesome Doctor,
and a wonderful broad spanned Neurologist as
well - an expert in all fields including rare diseases,
genetics, and other types of neurological disorders
and syndromes and so on. He truly is amazing,
but I feel bad as implied, that he is so heavily
burdened down with this load he has to carry
on his shoulders with all these patients because
of the extreme shortages of Neurologists and
Epileptologists!

:(

I love my doc. He calls by the end of the day. Sometimes he calls just to see how I am doing and sometimes he has his nurse Lynn call me if something big is going on. We are all close. And he is constantly asking about my son.They always call within 24 hours.

MY dr has been awesome. Though I have never had to call her (I've been diagnosed since last month) She is incredibly responsive and quick to see me.

When I was first diagnosed I was referred to the epi-facility at the world class hospital. They put me on dilantin and within a week I was broken out in a rash, hives, and had started swelling. I phoned them and they told to keep taking my medication until the dr. returned my call. When I had not heard from them by the end of the day I went directly to my primary care physician. She gave me steroid shots over the course of several days, called the neuroligist and yelled at him, and redirected me to my current dr.

I guess I expect a lot following that experience. Their explanation of being sooo busy,,,,soooo didn't impress me either. If they are too busy, then patient care suffers. AT the time of newly diagnosed and not having the ability to contact them? No, for me it is just not acceptable.

More issues with staff

I have had very little to complain about with my Neuro. It is his staff that doesn't always impress me. I found one time when the staff responded to a question that never made it to my Doctor. That one ticked me off big time.

I use to get that one a lot with a past neuro.
The EMTs would say... make sure you call her doctor. So I would, and at the next appointment, he would have no record of the many times I had called.
What is that about?

Thank you all for your responses. I finally got in touch with my dr the other night after playing telephone tag with him for a while.

I am glad you finally got through to him.

My old neurologist - 3 to 6 months and I had to make an appointment (no exceptions). Not sure on the new neurologist.

Family Doctor - for emergencies they will put the call right through to the examination room his in (I have been in the room when such a call has come through), otherwise it is by appointment and that is usually a day maybe a 2 day wait.

Back
Top Bottom