Does anyone have a seizure alert or assistance dog?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mine's a mixed breed from the animal shelter. I didn't get him as a service dog. He became one later when we figured out he was alerting to my seizures.

He's medium sized - about 18lbs - which is ideal. He is small enough to fit in the car easily, is unobtrusive when I need him to be, and I can lift him. He's also big enough to do his job.

He's also very high-energy and extremely intelligent. The combo makes him a real handful sometimes. He gets into a lot of trouble if I don't keep his mind occupied, and if he doesn't get lots of exercise every day.

But... the high intelligence makes him easy to train, and he picks up on a lot of stuff on his own. Get this - he was trained by professionals to remind me to take my meds 3x a day. (In his little doggie head he is asking for a treat at certain times.) But over time, he learned all on his own to keep bugging me until he actually sees the pill go in my mouth and me swallow some water. It doesn't matter if I've already given him his treat or not. I often get distracted if I give him his treat first, and then I forget the pill. But not with my pup! Smart little guy! He also keeps alerting me to a seizure even if I discipline him for barking in public (when I'm not thinking straight). Knowing dog behavior, that is rather impressive. He also trained himself to alert to my seizures (this part isn't unusual - lots of dogs learn this).

He's half beagle which makes him very sociable, loving and sweet, and very easily distracted. Beagles like smells and people and birds and squirrels and objects. They have the doggie version of ADD. They follow their nose and their whims and are constantly going. Most of this can be redirected through training. (Notice the agriculture dept. sniffer dogs at the airport - they are all 13" beagles)

He's also very cute. He looks like a puppy with floppy velvet ears even though he's not a puppy at all. Everyone wants to pet him, which I guess is universal with service dogs. Despite the "do not pet" patches on his vest.

I have a lab mix. I wish I could tell you with what, but something smaller- she's only about 45 lbs. I'm biased having grown up with Labradors, but I adore the eager-to-please lab personality not to mention she'll do most anything for a treat; training has been a breeze.

She's amazing with kids, infinitely patient, which I really like. I'd never trust a dog implicitly with little ones, but she's as close as it comes.

I was warned against getting a pure-bred to avoid certain congenital problems that go far beyond displasia and such.

Hi. I am visually and hearing impaired and have complex partial seizures. I have a wonderful yellow lab male named Umbro. He is a guide dog for the blind which I got in NY at a school/training center. They only train and place guide dogs. While I was there, I had several seizures and staff noticed my boy being aware and aggitated right before it happens. Another instructor who formally trained seizure alert/response (two diff services) saw my boy and worked with him some.
He is a guide dog and seizure response dog. He will turn infront of me and won't let me walk any further. Usually I have a 2-3min warning.

I love him to death. He is my first guide dog and I was lucky that he is so aware.
Most people go through training centers to get dogs who work with people with other disabilities other than blindness. My school only works with the blind but it's the first school to have s dog who was formally trained by two separate schools and worked with a blind client who had severe grand-Mao/tonic clonic seizures.

I love my lab Umbro!
If anyone has questions about service dogs, I am here. I've had Umbro for 5 years now and have those years of experience that have taught me a lot.

Everyone take care
Crystal and her guide Umbro

Back
Top Bottom