E Meds and violent thoughts

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
For my E I take Tegretol 1200mg a day and for headaches I get I take 100mg Topomax a day. I've only been on the Topomax for about 5 weeks or so.

Now the question.

I have been under a good deal of stress since December '09 and with each passing month it seems that I have had more and more increasingly violent thoughts. No desire to act them out or anything I just have the thoughts. But it seems since the increase in my Tegretol and then the addition of the Topomax it seems to have increased these thoughts a good deal. And my ability to get angry seems to have heightened a good deal as well. Not violently.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them with E meds?

I know the stress of these headaches I get, some lasting up to 3 - 4 weeks at a time plus the passing of my mother in April and some other things can get anyone worked up. It's just this doesn't feel quite right.

I have those kinds of thoughts-Im on trileptal but its only with every bad thing happening to me.At first I felt "why me?" Now I shake with the the thought of taking my gun to all these idiots who seem to have all the control over my life.This feeling is persistent and is different from my preictal rages.I have to catch myself that I dont voice my intentions to these people-latest being IRS and a creditor who seized my bank accts.But like you I have the control to prevent my acting upon this,but boy do I want to-I even think about the details-SCARY

I"m on 1600 mg of Tegretol & it was a couple of years ago I realized that when I'm upset rather than go to nice thoughts to calm down I often find comfort in going to angry/vengeful thoughts. They are never things I would act on (I'm not a vengeful person) but I often find comfort there, sometimes making me angry.

It was when I went for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy that I did that much less.

Hmmmm, gonna have to review my CBT notes.

Well you see I didn't even notice it until this past weekend when we were at the store. I was pushing the cart and some guy instead of stopping (I was halfway out of the aisle already) while I was turning he just pushed his way through. And I immediately envisioned taking him to the ground and just slamming his head repeatedly against the floor. Since that day I have been doing serious thinking and have found that it's apparently been happening for a while. It's rather scary. I'm getting ready to set up an appointment to see someone about this, and other things.

I felt that way with a lady who didnt stop at a crosswalk and almost hit an elderly lady-I chased her around the parking lot and had a screaming match with her.When I could still drive-my older son had to settle me down-not the first time.Got into it with a lady at store for taking too many cans of tuna fish

I was mean as a snake when i was on Topamax. Keppra isn't much better I feel lousy on that and somewhat suicidal but since i know it's the drugs I can combat those thoughts.

foreverdark:

I'm sincerely thankful you've made an appointment, and please get the M.D. you see to wean you off the tegretol-topamax cocktail before you actually do act out your violent thoughts. If your M.D. refuses, be firm but not angry & demand that he/she take you off it. Please remember that you help pay your M.D.'s salary, so work with your neurologist & primary care M.D. in making the decisions about your care. Take care, foreverdark & keep us posted.

Now, the epilepsy med that nearly pushed me over the edge was phenobarbitol. Ugh. I had the darkest, meanest thoughts. Another epilepsy med that tends to make me cranky is Keppra, but it works well for me, so in this case, the pluses outweigh the minuses. And my dark thoughts have fully disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom