Embarrassing question for the guys....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
Ever since my neurologist down here increased the dosage of my zonisamide to 500 mg and added clonazepam to my daily regimen, I've been suffering from premature ejaculation.

It's quite frustrating me (as well as my girlfriend) because I can't last longer than a minute. Before the increase, I was fine.

I've tried to see if there was any correlation between these meds and this, but I can't seem to find anything at all.

Have any guys had this type of issue before?

I dont take that med or have that particular issue, but i've had others in that department after switching meds, and i can tell you that although hormonal issues can be a problem for men with E (both from the E or the meds long term), if you didnt have the issue before the change and it is a noticeable difference afterwards, then i wouldnt be surprised if it were a med issue. Sexual function is so keyed in to CNS function that changes in meds that affect the CNS can have strange effects.

I'd definitely bring this up to the doc, but be prepared to have to battle to be heard, since if that is not a typical side effect he will brush it off. You'll really have to be your own researcher and advocate here (as seems to always be the case anyway). But keep in mind with meds, that individual results may and do vary! (even if docs dont like to admit it)

Dont feel like I helped much, but that is my take on it..

Last edited:
I noticed this with my ex basically straight after I went on 100mg x2. Also my anxiety went up dramatically.

No other drug gave me this issue so my advice would be to see how it goes but talk too your doctor about it. Its hard for a guy to, I never did and only just came off the drug. ut my myoclonus has got insanly worse.

Yes, unfortunately modesty is the first thing that has to go if you want results, and even then you likely will have to make the med decision for yourself as they see seizures as the only priority.

They often forget that a person wants to not only be seizure free, but also feel like themselves as well.

PS: Keep in mind the neuro will have no knowledge of what to do about any change in sexual function. You will likely have to educate him on that or see another doc, say a urologist (who will likely know nothing about effects of seizure drugs-thus the self advocacy). The neuro will only be able to agree or disagree about the meds role or not (which he may not have experience enough to say other than what is in drug literature) and sanction you changing meds or tapering off that particular drug if you feel it is the cause. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom