Epilepsy and ADHD

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kkruser

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just joined and have been looking around, but didn't see this topic. If I missed it I'm sorry. Anyway, I've got epilepsy, obviously, but just found out I have ADHD too. Anyone else had this happen? Being 29 and having my doctor tell me the reason I have my memory issues, and the other list of things that I have was a real surprise.

After doing research, I understand I'm far from alone, but still couldn't believe it.

Many folks with epilepsy Do have memory issues, due to either the area of the brain the seizures originate or the meds, or both. I definitely have bad memory issues. I've had E for 35+ years and have trouble finding words sometimes.

Check out this website for more info:
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/impact/thinking-and-memory

I do understand the memory problems are pretty common with epilepsy and some of the drugs that we take. Some of the other issues that I've had in recent years, most importantly with the new job is lack of focus. I've had problems with being very impulsive, especially buying, and I guess that's also a symptom.

I just wondered if there were others on the forum dealing with this as well.

Epilepsy is a "catch all" diagnosis, which means that it is diagnosed after biological factors have been ruled out. But then, there are many other illnesses, especially mental ones, that are also "catch all" diagnosis. So, as a result, epilepsy tends to be common in people with depression and even schizophrenia or bipolar. I'm not sure about ADHD, as I've never heard of that correlation before, but it does not seem surprising.

True, it's hard to sort out sometimes what are the side effects and what are the co-morbidities.

Given the stats in that article there probably are quiet a few here dealing with both. I can't offer you anything other than links and a hearty welcome however since it not something I have to contend with.

Stick around. Keep asking questions. This is a great place to learn.

Back
Top Bottom