Epilepsy and creativity?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BillK

Pillar
Reaction score
I was looking the other day at the book Epilepsy: a new approach and it mentioned that David Bear, M.D. had made a talk that raised the possibility that epilepsy might be correlated with creativity. A web search reveals more discussion on this topic. What's your experience? Do you consider yourself creative people? Could repressed creativity have anything to do with seizures?

I think because epilepsy is so common, and so varied from individual, to individual, it's tough to generalize any particular traits or talents across the entire population. That said, certain kinds of epilepsy such as TLE have been linked to famous creative individuals, and there may be a connection related to the ways that TLE can stimulate the brain.

Here's a link from the CWE archives you may be interested in:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/epilepsy-linked-creative-ability-3734/

My ex-husband and son who both have E. are not what I would call the creative sorts. However our daughter is pretty darn creative.

Back
Top Bottom