Epilepsy and Handwriting

Epilepsy and Handwriting

• AEDs has improved my handwriting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surgery / VNS with or without AEDs have improved my handwriting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi libbyl

I take public transportation. Whenever we move, the first thing I look for is the bus stop. That way I can live where the buses are at. I agree with you, I hate depending on others for a ride.

Sometimes I walk to a store that is close by. That is another thing I look for when we move. I want to live close enough to the stores so I can take the bus or walk.

Sometimes, a friend will offer me a ride when I am walking or just got off of the bus. When friends offer, it is okay to accept their rides. One time, I was walking and I had fallen down. I did not know it at the time but I had broken my arm. I was struggling to walk home. A person saw me and offered me a ride. She said that she noticed I was having a hard time walking. It is not a good idea to accept rides from strangers. You do not know what they are like. In this case I accepted. There was no way I was able to make the short walk home.

We cannot afford cell phones. I needed one that day to call my husband. Not only that but cell phones usually break when you fall. I should have gone back to one of the stores and ask them to call my home. The stores were closer but I was not thinking.

I hope this helps you. Ruth

i just hate the fact that others think that i need help it pisses me off for some reason and i take it to offense, then i look at how my mom helps me with everything and i dont complain. It has really made me an angry lazy person who still has not fully grown up and im 32.

It was so nice to see you respond so fast---thank you.i was really feeling down in the dumps.many years ago,public transportattion here was much easier than it is today.today you can wait for a very long time to get the bus--esp.if you have an appointment to get to.i feel like a cripple without the signs,

Hi Joey,

That is why you need to help yourself. Take public transportation. There is also Dial-A-Ride, that you can call up the transit about. They come to your house and take you where you want to go. Then when you want to come home, just call them up again.

My son, who is 30, lives with us. He does a lot of the chores around the house. You can help your mother out there. Go for walks!! He does not have enough money to live on his own. He has another type of health problem. Vacumn the carpet. Wash the clothes. Do the dishes. That will help you feel better about yourself.

Tell the people that say, "may I help you," I can help myself. Joey, I do not believe you are lazy. You just are depressed and feel down on your self. Sometimes, I feel like that.
We all feel like that sometimes.

Ruth

you are right, i used to be lazy and very depressed lucky for me something came out and i told myself i have to be somebody productive. now im in school my seizures have slowed down so i am kind of living my life as if i were not even epileptic. being carefull to me is not an option anymore. as long as others are not affected by them im cool.

Last edited:
i told myself i have to be somebody productive. now im in school my seizures have slowed down so i am kind of living my life as if i were not even epileptic.
:clap::clap:

Joey you are cool.

Libbyl, You are welcome.:banana:
Ruth

Last edited:
Until recently, there was no effect of the Rx or TLE on my handwriting. One thing I did do was practice repeatedly certain capital letters when I was writing letters. I say recently b/c I mentioned on another thread the dr.s' error of overdosing me with one Rx which caused me some Parkinsonian-like symptoms. As I'm aware of this, I don't grab the pen so tightly and my writing is gradually coming back to normal with some more practice. It's something I must work at - physically - to regain and/or retain. I'm also in the process of having my Rx completely re-assessed. (I know this is a bit late in posting, but I've been reading the first page's posts, having been a member for less than 24 hrs.)

My handwritting is awful I was once asked if I was related to a chicken :roflmao:
In grade eleven one of my teachers realized that I have minor dyslexia(that name is a bad joke for people who have trouble sorting out letters:pfft:). During oral presentations my vocabluar was amazing but all my papers looked like someone in grade 4 wrote them. My handwriting hid my spelling mistakes.
I can't say that E has effected my handwriting, it was always BAD

I've read that others with Epilepsy discovered that their handwriting had become huge. This has not been my case but like many I've discovered that my spelling is not what it used to be. And as a kid I did very well in Spelling Bee contests. Now? &(&%$(& .But then I remind myself that Hemmingway couldn't spell well for the life of him. Thank God for editors!

I don't know what difference this might make-:dontknow:-maybe none-- but I've noticed my handwriting, apart from getting awful since I started on E drugs, it changes with each new drug I take. My new neurologist is playing around with my meds now and I hate that.:mad: It makes my handwriting jerky so I've resigned myself to typing letters to everybody. The good thing about that is, though, SPELLCHECK!

My handwriting is awful. It was good when I was in 1-6 grade. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 6.I was getting straight A's in each class.

After that my handwriting went downhill. No one can read my writing, now. What would I do without a computer to e-mail?

I worked in a law office for 12 years, in all that time my WPM did not go over 30. I did everything slower. My fingers and eyeballs dart or twitch. So, the other girls, including my boss all talked slow to me when asking me to do something as though I were hard of hearing. Needless to say, I have not landed a job with a temp. agency because I can not pass a typing test! Pizza delivery??:bigsmile:

AEDs has decreased my handwriting

It's gone a little downhill, but still legible. :p

I wonder if some of my handwiting issues are due to being out of practice. Now I type just about everything. You should see my written shopping lists and my checks when I pay my car payment..:roflmao:

Mine has been affected by an OD Rx by the dr. Otherwise, mine wasn't affected prior to this. You CAN practice your handwriting skills if you take the time to slowly re-learn the movements. It takes patience, but you CAN retrain other motor areas of your brain to do what you want it to - within reason!!

If you noticed in the poll, not one person has said it improved it...

and majority say that E or the AED/Surgery/VNS has worsened the handwriting.... affecting the motor skills no doubt.

I wonder if some of my handwiting issues are due to being out of practice. Now I type just about everything. You should see my written shopping lists and my checks when I pay my car payment..:roflmao:
:agree:

Hi Cathy, I firmly believe that if, " you do not use it, you lose it." We depend on computers so much for typing that we are losing our ability to write legibly.

I've always had bad handwriting. Truly deplorable, no matter how hard I tried. Now we are lucky. With electronic mediums, no need for anyone to read our handwriting unless we want them to. We can just send a text message.

From a friend on Facebook

Very few people are blessed with the art of discovering accurately all truths about him without any professional or superficial help. And this can be done by analyzing his handwriting. Moreover, it has also been proved that handwriting is full of health clues which clearly reveal the disorders of the heart, of the nerves, of the joints and of the glandular systems. It also reveals Epilepsy among other things.
Zones
Three zones or portions of space above and below the writing lines are used in handwriting analysis, and each is symbolic of the energy expended in that area of the writer’s life. The three Zones are:
1.Upper Zone: representing intellect or abstract.
2.Middle Zone: representing daily action
3.Lower Zone: representing desires and drives.
Large, full upper zones divulge a thoughtful person probably with imagination and creativity but perhaps with an unrealistic self image. The more flourished or enlarged or twirled, represents the more extreme imagination and is indicative that the writer suffers from fantasy or day dreaming. A writing unbalanced in this zone would indicate a lack of attention, intellect and imaginative aspects. A narrow upper zone reveals lack of imagination or creative thoughts within the writer.
Middle zone letters indicate a particular interest of the writer in social relationship. Imbalance in this area describes the writer as being immature or insecure.
The lower zone corresponds to the basic drives of the writer. Money, possessions, physical exercise and sex are some of the drives that may be investigated by giving attention to this zone.
Margins
Margins are an accurate measuring factor, only if on a full sheet paper. It shows the degree of the writer’s economy, consistency, tolerance, desire for esteem and urge for acceptance. Well spaced margins signify an intelligent arrangement of time and space accompanied by favorable organization.
Significance of margins:
1.Wide upper: represents formality, reserve, modesty and esteem for reader.
2.Wide lower: represents aloofness, idealism and sexual or emotional trauma.
3.Narrow upper: represents informality, directness and lack of aspect for reader.
4.Narrow lower: represents depression, fatigue and sensuousness.
5.Widening left: represents impatience, haste, enthusiasm and lavishness.
6.Narrowing right: represents decreasing shyness.
7.Irregular right: represents unwise thriftiness, love of travel and ambivalent social attitude.
8.Even left: represents self discipline and good manners.
9.Even right: represents intolerance, conformity to set standards and self consciousness.
10.Wide all sides: represents aloofness, secrecy about self, aesthetic and lonely.
11.Irregular all sides: represents versatility, tolerance, carelessness, inattentiveness.
Thus this article gives an overview as to how the Zones and the Margins serves the purpose of analyzing an individual’s character and personality.

My hand writing is affected I believe by both Epilepsy and birth defect. There used to be a visible spot somewhere on the left side of my brain and my right hand (the hand with thee fingers and ulna dislocated from humerus) would lock when coloring as a child then later writing with a pencil forcing me to pry my fingers open to let go still happens sometimes if try to write with my neater right hand. I used to be asked to hand write letters for adults but at age eight it was too painful to continue). So I learned to write left handed and now doctors love my writing because its just as bad as their's! :roflmao:

It has become a little harder to write down my thoughts on paper but thats why God gave me this computer, so you can all read my gibberish!

Back
Top Bottom