Epilepsy (Complex Partial Seizures) and Reading

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My apologies to those who harvest corn. :noevil:

We are a corn-ball group then. But, you know what goes good with popped corn???.....NUTS! :roflmao:

Welcome to the newbies. :agree:
-Julie

I have had problems with retaining what I read and staying concentrated on things ever since I went onto Keppra and Trileptol, before that I had no problems. I do college courses online and I had no trouble, they switched my meds and ever since I have trouble concentrating. This doesn't only cause problems with concentrating, but with memory and even getting days mixed up. As a matter of fact, just yesterday I got arrested for failure to appear in court because I accidentally thought my court date was yesterday but it was tuesday. the cop showed up first thing in the morning, and can you believe at first they refused to allow me to take my medication before taking me in until after telling them that It may cause alot of problems without my anticonvulsants, but even then they wouldn't let me take my prescriptions along for my afternoon doses, thank god I found someone to post bail for me.

:cheers:

Welcome to our home TheMiNd and Colorado. Have a seat, put your feet up, warm up by the fireplace, and relax. I will get the coffee.

I have more trouble reading now than at any other time in my life. I have a hard time staying on track with a story/article unless I am really interested. It also tends to make me sleepy. My eyes have a very hard time staying on the same line. They want to wonder around.

However, I hesitate to tie it to my E. My E started at age 20 and I continued to be a voracious reader for years. Once I reached my 40s, I started to notice more problems. I know part of it is going from excellent eyesight to bifocals in just a couple of years. It could also be linked to my keppra that I started at age 42 (now 47). Stress could also be part of it.

As far as E in concerned, I have a hard time concentrating and staying focused in general, so I am sure it is involved as well to some extent. I guess I just don't know why, but do have more difficulty reading. Reading comprehension is not a problem for me.

Yes Colorado, I do find that coffee can help me concentrate and keep focus.

Buckeye, I just got progressive lenses. They're absolutely great. I'm somewhat nearsighted for distance, but I need something to look down for reading.

I am a caffeine queen in the morning, though. And an occasional kick in the afternoon. I probably have adhd.

Coffee helps me concentrate on cleaning the house, reading, whatever it is, even a soda helps a little. My bad.

I have to do alot of caffeine or I can't stay motivated and concentrate at all throughout the day. I know that I drink too much coffee and pop, cause later in the day I crash hard. Tried cutting back for awhile but I just could not pay attention or retain any info

Yep, I would say my coffee is my downfall. But it helps to. I don't drink much pop.I love good tea.With some caffiene.

I actually do coffee in the morning and energy drinks throughout the day, sitting in front of a computer taking phone calls is just way to boring to keep someone awake. I figured I should be staying away from the caffeine, but the doctor told me that it actually doesn't really have any effect, that surprised me

for the last couple of months I have been have simple something. coming from all over my brain.I thought I was having panic attacks so bad I was screaming. I spent the last week being monotord. I'm still kind of out of it.I went in in for an appointment and within an hour they had me in wires. Changed my meds.I could not function before.I am on a new Drug called methsuximide. I can def. feel the difference.Please pray for me every one. I am also haveing alot of myoclonics.I was in 4 days . I go back and see him tomorrow if thesnow slows down.

Oh my goodness (((stilldancing))) it sounds like you're having a roudh time. I'm holding you in my heart and prayers. I hope things go well and you're home for Christmas .... Home and WELL.

No reading problems as of now. I used to have some trouble when the seizures were uncontrolled. I would read words as anagrams of themselves , but weirdly enough , only for long words. I used to have trouble writing , and my writing sometimes went like Old english writing like this :
" The big browne foxe jumpede over the lazy dog."
But no trouble now , so i suppose it was related to the seizures.

reading problems, bleed or epilepsy?

I have had problems with reading since I can remember. I had an AVM, so I thought it was a bleed that caused it. But now I am wondering if it is the epilepsy. When i read it is almost like I take one letter at a time to process.... and does anyone else need the subtitles on movies read to them. If i watch things alone i have to pause it constantly! I also wondered if the people with reading problems had similar problems learning foreign languages. I never could learn them in class. I could never understand how people can go through all the steps to translate to another language. Maybe it is just me, but I am definetly feeling hope now that i have joined this group! I have been dealing with my problems on my own, not knowing anyone like me. Thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking about

coffee---I also have ADHD, and drinking coffee DOES help me focus better, and keep that under control without taking any meds for it. I really don't think that I ought to be taking any meds for it anyway, considering.......I really prefer to have the seizures controlled.

Last tease of the Year Victim Award goes to ....

coffee---I also have ADHD, and drinking coffee DOES help me focus better, and keep that under control without taking any meds for it. I really don't think that I ought to be taking any meds for it anyway, considering.......I really prefer to have the seizures controlled.

:ponder:

<teasing>

Maybe this can bring this under control?

:bondage:

</teasing>

:D

Back
Top Bottom