epilepsy in college

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Leanne

New
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just wanted to tell any of you that if you need advice about dealing with epilepsy in school-especially in college, I will help you out the best that I could-even if it's questions about your children. I'm a senior at East Stroudsburg University so I've seen it all and been through it all so please ask. I'd love to help and offer advice or tips.

-Leanne

Been through Colleges/Universities
and survived ...

Now if they had computers back in
my days ---> it would have helped
a million!

:?

Hey all,
I just wanted to tell any of you that if you need advice about dealing with epilepsy in school-especially in college, I will help you out the best that I could-even if it's questions about your children. I'm a senior at East Stroudsburg University so I've seen it all and been through it all so please ask. I'd love to help and offer advice or tips.

-Leanne
Thanks Leanne - that is really sweet of you.
We just had the last counselor session to plan out Rebecca's classes for her senior year. Can't really believe it is already around the corner.

She is going to do a two year college first, then she has her sights set on Hotel Management courses.... and working as a skating coach.

so far, im having a horrible time with it..and i have no idea what to do. My health forced me to drop out of high school and get a GED, which is one strick against me. Im having memory issues..so my grades are crap. I had to withdraw from 2 classes. and i want to transfer but every place i want to go isnt transfer student friendly..

and yes, i went to the student disabilities office

advice?

i guess my real question is do i stand a chance trying to get into a private college?

Last edited:
that sounds really frustrating, chinchillachic.... did the disabilities office not have any help/suggestions for you?

It sounds as though you need to talk to any of the schools that you might be interested in attending and finding out what accomodations they can offer.

I am suffering through college Algebra at the age of 57, it is not going well. Any ideas. I am using two tutors. Any help will be appreciated.
Sleepingsam

Honestly, school was difficult for me..especially my freshman year of college. I didn't do too well but I kept going and I didn't want to give up. I know it seems hard right now..but it will be worth it in the end. I've been in college for 4 years and am graduating in May. I never thought I'd see the day but it's important to have faith in yourself and tell yourself you will get through it.

I have some memory issues also, and I had tutors and stuff my first couple years of college. It paid off. Plus the disability program is pretty good at my school. So my advice to all of you is to just keep going--even when things are tough. If I can do it, anyone can. I really believe that.

-Leanne

Honestly, school was difficult for me..especially my freshman year of college. I didn't do too well but I kept going and I didn't want to give up. I know it seems hard right now..but it will be worth it in the end. I've been in college for 4 years and am graduating in May. I never thought I'd see the day but it's important to have faith in yourself and tell yourself you will get through it.

I have some memory issues also, and I had tutors and stuff my first couple years of college. It paid off. Plus the disability program is pretty good at my school. So my advice to all of you is to just keep going--even when things are tough. If I can do it, anyone can. I really believe that.

-Leanne

What school do you go to? Im having a hard time finding a good one :/ i hate the college im at right now

I go to East Stroudsburg University. It's in PA. They have a really good disabilities program. That's one of the reasons why I picked it. I live in NJ so it's only an hour and a half away.

college aand epilepsy

Leane , you are not far from me. I am presently attending Harvard on the hill aka route 10 tech Or Harvard on the highwayor as my friend who hates the place calls it County college of Morons or Constantly causing matriculation. If you catch my drift. you can private msg me .I would really like to compare notes with you. Oh another clue , you walk up heart attack hill to get to class.
Sleepingsam

Hey folks! I had all of the same issues, I started on Keppra and my memory was gone. I felt like a drooling jerk most of the time. I payed very close attention to nutrition and started taking a Drawing class and working in my shop alot. Anything to use both sides of my brain. I also started teaching myself to do things left handed, I've always been right handed. My grades are better now than they ever were before this mess started. My memory is better than most folks that I know. I still take Keppra today too! I hope to stop it soon. Hang in there it gets better with time as we adjust.

Hey folks! I had all of the same issues, I started on Keppra and my memory was gone. I felt like a drooling jerk most of the time. I payed very close attention to nutrition and started taking a Drawing class and working in my shop alot. Anything to use both sides of my brain. I also started teaching myself to do things left handed, I've always been right handed. My grades are better now than they ever were before this mess started. My memory is better than most folks that I know. I still take Keppra today too! I hope to stop it soon. Hang in there it gets better with time as we adjust.

Do you go to washington U?

college

College hasn't been all that difficult for me even though my doctor says I have 25 seizures every hour (bull). I have 2 big seizures a month usually. Sometimes I think I could do better if I didn't have epilepsy, and by that I mean get into an ivy league like my sister, but it doesn't matter because of Great Depression Number 2. Also I'd only want to prove that I could get in, I wouldn't actually want to go. Also I'm majoring in art. Art's fun.

Reading all of your posts makes me remember when I was having a lot more seizures... things can get better. My boyfriend says I have bad memory problems but I haven't noticed. Remember too that memory problems can be because of the drugs you're on. I was retarded when I was on Lamictal.

I'm refusing to go up on medication, because the medication I'm on now doesn't affect my mental functioning and it helps my seizures (I must have been having a lot before, huh).

I think the keppra is whats killing my memory. I want to go to a private college but my grades this semester..yikes...

Actually, I have been on lamictal for around 7 years and it's been working for me. I have probably had only 8 seizures in the course of these 7 years so lamictal works better for some people I guess. I'm in my senior year of college and I did struggle my first year, but I have gotten much better since I started Keppra as well. (I'm on both medications)

Hi Leanne.

Mu daughter is now a soph in HS and we are hoping against hope to get her into college. Have you or have you heard of people getting any help in admission as a result of being an E patient. I was thinking that with all the meds and stuff that maybe getting a B with Ep is equal to being an A student without it and the schools recognize that. True at all?

Phil

Hi Leanne.

Mu daughter is now a soph in HS and we are hoping against hope to get her into college. Have you or have you heard of people getting any help in admission as a result of being an E patient. I was thinking that with all the meds and stuff that maybe getting a B with Ep is equal to being an A student without it and the schools recognize that. True at all?

Phil

Not in my experience thus far. If anything, it makes it harder to get into schools because no one gives a crap about your medical history. I guess having "epilepsy" isnt that bad to them

Well in that case, they can go - - you know where! LOL!

I love my daughter. She is great. Someone will be lucky to have her at their school one day.

P

Actually my school, East Stroudsburg University, has a great disabilities program. I am in it for having a learning disability due to epilepsy. They are very accomodating and the faculty is really understanding. You just have to find the right school and make sure there disabilities department is willing to work with you.

It's always worth a try. I would HIGHLY reccommend going to a private school, ESPECIALLY if you're having health issues, because the professors will be able to give you more one-on-one attention and the students will form more of a support network for you. People will know who you are and care about what happens to you, and the health office workers will notice if you don't order you medicine on time...
Usually, if you have a genuine problem with focusing/recall, you could get extra time on tests and such. That's what I've heard, at least.
At my school, there are people with all sorts of disabilities: blindness/mobility impairment/anxiety disorders, etc. The teachers are pretty understanding, but that doesn't mean that you can just coast.

Back
Top Bottom