Epileptic driver who had seizure at wheel jailed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Here is the article. What a tragedy that could have been prevented.

Steven Harris's decision to drive when he regularly suffered seizures and was banned from the roads cost the life of Max James, who was stillborn in December 2007.

Harris, 40, crashed into Kate James's car in a Broadmeadows car park, the impact killing her unborn baby 27 weeks into the pregnancy.

He was today jailed for at least two years for negligently causing serious injury to Ms James and driving while suspended.

Epilepsy Foundation of Victoria CEO Graeme Spears said Harris's behaviour did little to help ease the stigma of an already misunderstood condition.

"People with epilepsy already suffer a lot of stigma and prejudice because people don't understand epilepsy well," he said.

"We don't condone the behaviour of Steven Harris and we strongly advise people not to drive if they are suffering seizures."

Mr Spears said loss of mobility was a major issue for many people with epilepsy and there should be more support for them.

County Court Judge Mark Gamble said Harris was not allowed to drive after suffering a seizure and crashing his car while driving in 2006.

But he changed his name and kept driving, knowing he was a danger to other motorists.

Ms James suffered broken bones in her hand and foot and battled post traumatic stress and depression after losing her son.

On the day of the accident Harris decided to pick up his son from a cricket match and lost control during a seizure.

His car flew across a roundabout in a Broadmeadows car park and hit Ms James's car, which then struck two other cars.

Judge Gamble said Harris knew he was unfit to drive but kept doing so for selfish reasons.

He said that while Harris's condition would make jail harder for him, it was the only appropriate sentence to deter others and denounce his conduct.

Harris, of Dallas, was jailed for three years and ordered to serve at least two before being eligible for parole.

That is such a tragedy indeed.

I don't drive at all, it's not worth the risk.

I don't drive probably never will.
This guy should have gotten longer jail sentence for being so idiotic.
Belinda:agree:

I'm sorry,

I DO drive, but with doctor's approval. This guy obviously was very selfish, (if he got a new license in a different name) and deserves what he got and more.

He does nothing to help the rest of us.

I do drive too. I really don't have a choice. This article is very scary because I do worry about driving and try to limit my driving. Not all cities have adequent public transportation.

Unfortunately yes, this adds to a stigma. I'm in the US, and each state has a different way of dealing with things. I am fortunate in that I have SPS only and not one iota of change in awareness. I have a sensory (smell) aura only, and nobody would have any idea when I'm having one. I can just continue doing whatever I'm doing with no change at all. I live in a state that allows sensory type auras only as an exception and the DMV doesn't even have to be apprised that I have a seizure disorder. Seizures where someone loses consciousness are blatant stupid risks and I am so glad I have no loss of awareness. The aura while annoying, is almost incidental really. I would not want to risk others or for that matter, risk getting myself into legal trouble either!! but it is a challenge, and I feel for people that can't drive when they don't have good public transit access.
Now, people with other medical conditions could conceivably have issues too. Should all people with cardiac disease not be allowed to drive because they could have a heart attack at the wheel? What about people with ADD who get distracted? The list could go on and on!!

I agree when it comes to no restrictions for other things. My brother is on his 3rd pacemaker, my father can hardly walk (botched hip replacement) and there is no state mandate about their driver's license. My other sibling and niece were hit by a drunk driver who had already had 5 DWIs and was on probation at the time he hit them. He had one of the moniters on his car, yet he rigged it not to work and didn't show up for 3 meetings with PO at the time he hit them...there's not a lot of consistentcy when it comes to monitering driving situations.

That driver should have gotten more time to serve in jail. He or she should have gotten a large fine also to pay.

In Texas, the law is he should have gotten time for his last DWI, but DA's office messed up and gave him probation. (3 people at DA's office got fired on that mistake, but that did no good for the evening he ran a red light and slammed into my family.) My niece's friend was in the car and was almost killed. She was in coma for 10 months. She has a long road to recovery and will never be the same. My niece had 3 surgeries for broken bones.They were 13 at the time of the accident. The families decided it would be too traumatic to make the girls relive the accident and agreed to allow DA's office to accept a plead deal. Although my niece did give her victim impact statement at the hearing. He got 20 years and cannot be eligible for parole before he serves 15 years.

Hi everyone, this is a topic that REALY BOTHERS ME.
Most people are of the opinion that "that will never happen to me." Well it seems to be happening more often than ever. It seems that the Ministry of transport is getting too leniant.

Randy

I went 23 yrs seizure free and I was of the strong opinion that if I were to have an "aura" or get that feeling just before a grande-mal while I was driving, I would be able to pull over in plenty of time, but since found out that it's like playing Russian Roulette, I was fooling myself. I had a minor incident in a parking lot and as a result, I had my licence suspended.I still drove for 2 yrs but I was just lucky that nothing happened. After driving my whole adult life and then having my licence stripped away, I felt like part of my freedom was taken away. It could happen at ANY time and you won't have time to pull over. So again I ask you is it worth the gamble?

I'm sorry but I have a problem with people who have a KNOWN seizure condition and continue to drive and then there's me who has a siezure condition that has been under control for 28 yrs and I've had mine suspended. To me that seems very irresponsible and stupid.

I am also on disability for my epilepsy and ulcerative colitis so I really don't need to drive but I'd like to have that freedom again.

Randy

This guy obviously was very selfish, (if he got a new license in a different name) and deserves what he got and more.

He does nothing to help the rest of us.

:agree:

And if the Judge slams him with more, he deserves that too!

This stroy really hits home for our group. So many of us are still allowed to drive while our E is under control, but many others do not drive at all. It is terrible to not be able to drive. I know how bad it has been for me when I have been limited.

For those of us that do drive, it is always a risk because we don't know when the control will fail. It is always in the back of my mind.

On the flip side, I just renewed my license and was asked if I had seizures to which I honestly answered yes. It is just noted and does not limit my driving, but why do others with major health issues not get questioned. As an EMT, I responded to many more people with diabetis in accidents than E.

:soap:

Bucky - down here, more accidents are caused
by alcohol aka driving under the influence or
drunk driving and yet they can obtain their license
back after such and such time? And go figure, they
go out for another round of alcohol and do it again?
Far too many repeat offenders! Then we have those
who have medical conditions who are on so many
medications who should not be driving at all; but
the Law permits them to drive anyway because there
are no laws that forbids them or prohibits them?

Go figure that one out - in more ways it is unfair
and unrealistic!

:ponder:

On the flip side, I just renewed my license and was asked if I had seizures to which I honestly answered yes. It is just noted and does not limit my driving, but why do others with major health issues not get questioned. As an EMT, I responded to many more people with diabetis in accidents than E.

Thats one thing in our state that is very flawed. Many (including close friends of mine with E, can go in and simply say no, "I dont have seizures", with no consequences, until an accident does happen. Because, here it is our responsibility to report seizures to the dmv. Which alot of people don't do

Now wait a minute, guys. We are asuming his seizures caused the wreck. There are plenty of other things that might cause a wreck. Let's not fall into the steriotyping we all hate.

Oh good one, Harris. Smooth.

Someday, I'll use my seizures for the good of mankind. Super SeizureGirl.. Nice ring? I tried.

:elephant:

Now wait a minute, guys. We are asuming his seizures caused the wreck. There are plenty of other things that might cause a wreck. Let's not fall into the steriotyping we all hate.

It doesn't make a difference if the crash was caused by a seizure or not. The media coverage & the fact that most people assume it was a seizure causing the crash do nothing to help the stigma associated with epilepsy.

It doesn't make a difference if the crash was caused by a seizure or not. The media coverage & the fact that most people assume it was a seizure causing the crash do nothing to help the stigma associated with epilepsy.
Agreed. I already have issues with people telling me that "I should never drive" And once they hear this, They are just going to have a field day.

Back
Top Bottom