Epileptic driver who had seizure at wheel jailed

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well Where I live in Canada, it is illegal for them to ask you about health information before they hire you. and upon hiring you can give them a letter from your neurologist that says you are fit to work and that what your types of seizures are and what to do if you have one. but only UPON hire.

and you only need to tell your boss. who is not allowed to tell anyone else (unless you have a health and safety rep) I personally chose to tell everyone in my office as there are times when I work in the office alone.

Here in Canada, if you get the job and then they find out, the Employer can legally fire you for not being truthful or fully open about yourself, and thus may doubt any prior experience you put on your resume', or worse... may suspect you of having a criminal record but you didn't say anything because he didn't ask.

I just moved from B.C. (Victoria, Actually) and you were not allowed to ask certain personal questions when hiring, medical questions being amongst them. To fire someone for medical reasons is illegal.

I'm curious who told you that J4Y?

I learned that in a Job Training place called "Triumph", claiming you have to be willing to put all your cards down on the table, for if you try and hold back even one card, they have the right to let you go.

I have never had an interest in driving & I am in a position where I don't need a licence to get around. I am lucky enough to live walking distance to the main streets of town & have public transport to get me to places I can't walk to.

Some of my partial seizures have happened while I have been walking aswell as while being a passenger in a car.

I am just glad that I don't drive because my seizures aren't under control & I would never forgive myself if I had a seizure behind the wheel & killed someone.

Last edited:
The UK's Equality Act 2010 (In force since 01.10.10) makes interesting reading, in this respect - along with the provisions of the ECHR.

Prob with UK employment legislation is that a contractural clause tends to exist re: non-disclosure on appointment, irrespective of the specifics.

I just moved from B.C. (Victoria, Actually) and you were not allowed to ask certain personal questions when hiring, medical questions being amongst them. To fire someone for medical reasons is illegal.

I'm curious who told you that J4Y?

It is illegal not to hire for medical purposes, it's descimination, violation of your Human Rights. (unless the job requires direct contact with heavy machinery or driving)
By law ~ it is the responsibility of th employer to provide adequate work accommodation and/or necessary "ades" to help do the job)

On the down side though ~ several employers will skirt around that "techncality" by saying things like the job is no longer available or were're "downsizing" and we had to cut resources, etc.

It is illegal BUT that's how employers are getting away with it cuz it can't be proven in court.

Randy

It is illegal not to hire for medical purposes, it's descimination, violation of your Human Rights. (unless the job requires direct contact with heavy machinery or driving)
By law ~ it is the responsibility of th employer to provide adequate work accommodation and/or necessary "ades" to help do the job)

On the down side though ~ several employers will skirt around that "techncality" by saying things like the job is no longer available or were're "downsizing" and we had to cut resources, etc.

It is illegal BUT that's how employers are getting away with it cuz it can't be proven in court.

Randy

This is in Ontario though, right?

epileric:

Actually, that's written in the CANADIAN Human Rights Act.

In the UK the situ is governed purely by the specific job role you would be expected to perform eg; Teacher in charge of kids; police officer on front line duties; deep sea diver (seriously!).

Col.

Back
Top Bottom