• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sometimes i will have an aura other times not usally mine are vissual or senstional a sence as if somethings wrong why i checked other but have had few that involed taste and/or smell the senation of something not being right and/or vissual halunation seeing something thats not their.

I usually have an aura, I just get a feeling I'm going to have a seizure 20-30 seconds before it happens.
My seizures with my auras I usually have complex partial, tonic-clonic.

Belinda:e::ponder::twocents:

my auras seem to be changing sometimes i see colors now mostly around people its really weird..... and spots of lights....

i need to get back into see my dr...

Your best recommendations would be going over and
talking with your Neurologist / Epileptologist for a further
evaluation of everything down to the core. We are not
Medical Doctors here in CWE, but we do have some
members here - but no one can provide you Medical Advisories
or consultation but your own Physician who is treating you.

If you are experiencing "long lasting auras", then I
strongly recommend that you keep a diary, journal,
ledger, or something - and keep track of time, date,
and notes of what you are experiencing so this would
be of benefit for your Doctor when you see him/her.

There could be many reasons why for prolonged
auras. It could range anywhere from the fact you
could be having seizures to side-effect of medication
to high blood pressure or what-ever it might be.

This is why it is been posted numerous times and
has been strongly recommended to keep a diary or
a record of such, if all possible!

Hope this helps!
brain- If an aura is meant to be a precursor (warning) of impending seizure episode, might it be possible to even have long lasting auras without even recognizing that you are having one? Possibly due to our own impaired perception of how we are acting and feeling ? Within last 6 weeks I have had 3 previous episodes; fall-down like a board type; only one with a shaky knees type of sensation (which I did NOT like),with no known reporting of gran-mal type of activity which has occurred several times in my past. My episodes have ranged from during sleep,setting in a chair during conversation,and at work.The 'LAST?' most recent non-aural episode occurred while I was driving my car; vaulted into and out of concrete-lined 'wash',catapulted me through a re-bar reinforced cinder block wall (3 courses above ground no less),and ending upside down still belted in my car with absolutely no recollection of how I went from roadway to total wreck. I extricated myself, walked to curb,saw EMTs arrive and was convinced to be taken to hospital where CTs;head,thorax,with and w/o contrast. Nothing on me broken,not a scratch.No more car,No more driving for 90 days between seizures. No lie. I have since been advised to increase my baseline dosage from 200 to 300mg Lamotrigine. Lucky to be alive.ER Dr. said to me " You were kissed by death once, You obviously have some more work in life to do." I agree. Good news ?? I may change my name to 'TIMEX'

Last edited:
Wherever you go,then There you are !

brain- If an aura is meant to be a precursor (warning) of impending seizure episode, might it be possible to even have long lasting auras without even recognizing that you are having one? Possibly due to our own impaired perception of how we are acting and feeling ? Within last 6 weeks I have had 3 previous episodes; fall-down like a board type; only one with a shaky knees type of sensation (which I did NOT like),with no known reporting of gran-mal type of activity which has occurred several times in my past. My episodes have ranged from during sleep,setting in a chair during conversation,and at work.The 'LAST?' most recent non-aural episode occurred while I was driving my car; vaulted into and out of concrete-lined 'wash',catapulted me through a re-bar reinforced cinder block wall (3 courses above ground no less),and ending upside down still belted in my car with absolutely no recollection of how I went from roadway to total wreck. I extricated myself, walked to curb,saw EMTs arrive and was convinced to be taken to hospital where CTs;head,thorax,with and w/o contrast. Nothing on me broken,not a scratch.No more car,No more driving for 90 days between seizures. No lie. I have since been advised to increase my baseline dosage from 200 to 300mg Lamotrigine. Lucky to be alive.ER Dr. said to me " You were kissed by death once, You obviously have some more work in life to do." I agree. Good news ?? I may change my name to 'TIMEX'
This the latest

My auras are not always the same I have several things happening

Before my surgery, they would start with this terrible feeling of fear, I couldn't even walk around my apt. with the windows and doors locked without having to keep looking behind me. De juv, hear things, spots coming at me, and some of the following

Since my surgery in 2004, my auras are different, now they don't always seem to be the same everytime.

I get this weird feeling I'm quite able to explain yet along with this terrible taste in my mouth, I will start shaking and/or jerking in my right hand and arm, I can get nauses, get a terrible pain through the right side of my head, I will break out in a major sweat, I can feel my heart beating faster (I am on med for high pulse), I also get this paranormal feeling and its like I am seeing something that is going to happen in the future, the last one was about my son-in-law being in a fatal accident at work (he works for the railroad), weird but true, when I talked to my daughter later that day he had stayed home from work that day because he had a stomach virus. I will sometimes become very cold soon after the sweat, I have been told by my family that I will talk sometimes but they cannot understand anything I am saying, I can somewhat remember trying to talk however can't remember what I was trying to say. I sometimes start taking these very long deep like breathes like I am having a hard time breathng. I know there is more I just can't always remember all that my brain brings on during these.

Last edited:
Paranoia: My first episode, Tonic Clonic. That day I was running about town on three hours sleep. After, a phone call talking with my companion, I became extreemely paranoid (I don't recall what we discussed). I went into my room to do some deep breathing excersizes to calm down and before I knew it my deep breathing went out of control. I was hyperventaling and the next thing I remember was being in a gurny, carried into the ambulence. Deep breathing is the worst thing to do for those of us with Epilepsy. I later discovered. I, now, know lack of sleep can trigger seizures. I've learned much about triggers on this site. Before my last Complex Partial Seizure, I felt my knees tremble and threw myself onto the bed. I wish I had more auras then I'd know I'd need to get to a "safe place". I have jerking motions, especially, lately but a seizure has not followed them. I try to stay calm when this happens, maybe that's why I don't go out of control...

Last edited:
Rudy:

If you are experiencing this, most likely it could have
been seizures, and you should contact your Neurologist
or Epileptologist immediately, and if it was prolonged at
that such degree - you could have experienced either
status or back-to-back. I am not a Medical Doctor here,
and there could be many reasons why these are occurring
and I have no absolute knowledge without having any
background or anything upfront of me.

So please consult with your Doctor if you are experiencing
these, and if you can't get a hold of them and you experience
this ---> go to the Hospital or have someone call 911 or
the ambulance; you will need to be checked out A.S.A.P.

Paranoia: My first episode, Tonic Clonic. That day I was running about town on three hours sleep. After, a phone call talking with my companion, I became extreemely paranoid (I don't recall what we discussed). I went into my room to do some deep breathing excersizes to calm down and before I knew it my deep breathing went out of control. I was hyperventaling and the next thing I remember was being in a gurny, carried into the ambulence. Deep breathing is the worst thing to do for those of us with Epilepsy. I later discovered. I, now, know lack of sleep can trigger seizures. I've learned much about triggers on this site. Before my last Complex Partial Seizure, I felt my knees tremble and threw myself onto the bed. I wish I had more auras then I'd know I'd need to get to a "safe place". I have jerking motions, especially, lately but a seizure has not followed them. I try to stay calm when this happens, maybe that's why I don't go out of control...
I feel like my knees buckle for a milisecond just before I fall I regain balance. It happens so fast, like I black out for an instance. This is when I was taking trileptal.

auras

Sometimes i'm able to tell people what they were going to tell me and they get creapped out. Then I get a strong feeling of dejavou. I then feel tingling all over my body and it hurts; like you sat on your foot too long. Then I get very nauseated. as soon as i vomit its over. I had those for 5 years and then progressed to petit mal. within 6 months i was having tonic-clonic. I have had 10 tonic-clinic but only one while i was awake. All of the others happen when i'm asleep. it scares my husband. he sleeps deep and they wake him up.

I've had tonic clonic while conscious and it freaks me out just like when that happens with the Complex partial.
I usually know a good 30 seconds ahead of time by my auras when my seizures are going to hit.
It'll usually be a simple partial,Complex partial, or tonic-clonic I have with my auras.
I just get a feeling in my head I'm going to have a seizure.
Belinda

Just yesterday...

I've had tonic clonic while conscious and it freaks me out just like when that happens with the Complex partial.
I usually know a good 30 seconds ahead of time by my auras when my seizures are going to hit.
It'll usually be a simple partial,Complex partial, or tonic-clonic I have with my auras.
I just get a feeling in my head I'm going to have a seizure.
Belinda
I've never had a conscious TC but yesterday I had my second Complex Partial and it's horrifying. Still twitching today and memory is poor. Apart from the higher danger of injuries, I'd prefer a TC, unawares, any day. Fine, all day yesterday morning, walking around as usual then...the knee buckeling, shaking and I know I have to get to some safe place. My companion was by my side, and I was "walked" to my bed where I was all too aware of my body flaying out of control. I know what you're talking about...

I have been told it is a very good idea to keep a journal and even if you think you don't remember, try as hard as you can to say every detail out loud of every seizure - sometimes more things will come to you as you talk about it.

I have strange auditory auras in which a specific memory from years ago - something in which I was listening to someone talk or I was actually talking myself - gets repeated over and over again and I am unsure of whether or not I am talking out loud or just thinking it in my brain. I've also heard buzzing, muffling and have had temporary deafness. I have done some research and it looks as though this could be Temporal Lobe Epilepsy with auditory auras and has been helped with surgery before.

Has anyone with TLE had surgery for it?

Carolineal,

I have been telling myself almost everyday to start another journal. I kept one for a whole year while I was applying for my disability and then after my surgery in 2004, haven't been doing such a good job of it.

Yes I have had surgery because of the seizures coming from my left temporal lobe. They have never been able to tell me what causes the seizures however, they could tell me that all the damage done to my left temporal lobe was due to uncontrolled seizures for several years. If I remember correctly I had a 70% chance of not having seizures anymore and possibley after so long being able to go off all seizure meds. Unforntulely for me it didn't work that way. Withing a year after my surgery I started having partials and complex partials again, and have been taken to hosp by ambulance once for status epileptis. This result for me is definetly how it goes for everyone that has the surgery and they have to do all these different tests to see if you can have the surgery. Here where I live my neuro said I was a good canditadite for the surgery because of my seizures being uncontrollled even on 3 different meds and several others tryed.

I definetly need to start that journal, my seizures are getting worse and more often. And reading your post brought back memory that I also hear things during some complex seizures, its like I hear the person or people, the tv, radio and such around me but I know what I am hearing is not what they are saying when come out of the seizure can't remember either.

I'm so sorry to hear that the surgery did not work for you, stringbean. If I may ask, what medications are you on now and how frequent are your seizures? For how many years had you been having seizures before you were found to be a candidate?

I talked with my doctor about the possibility of controlling seizures...he told me about a famous case where a woman discovered that when she smelled a certain smell, it triggered seizures but she could control it by smelling lavender because that smell offset the other one. (I'm not too sure of the details of this story.) It's incredible and I'd love to be able to do that! If you can figure out if a certain sense is triggered (in my case, sound), you could possibly offset it with something else.

feeling of electrical currents running through my body

I have noticed control with my current meds and warning signs - exhaustion, where sleep almost takes over me - I MUST go to bed or else I will seize, also, my seizing seems linked to both my diabetes and COPD - lack of O2.

The reason I included this quote is because lots of times when I do lie down, my whole body will stiffen like a board and a moan will come out (a seizure??? or exhaustion???) Also, sometimes when I go to bed and shut my eyes - through my closed eyes I see what looks like electrical flashes or lightning. My last EEG - the tech asked me to keep my eyes open because every time I shut my eyes, they fluttered uncontrollably, and I did not even know it!! Another EEG, recently, same tech, said my beta waves were like I was either really sleepy or on a beta??drug - Klonapin??? I know, from my neuro, that the seizures are combined from low sodium/low magnesium - the non-epilepsy tonic-clonic types w/coma; and the cp are from the temporal lobe and may be very deep in the hippacampi and undetectable w/normal scalp EEG's.

Auras??? headache, crossed eyes, sleepiness, walking like a drunk, confusion, itching all over (diabetes???), nausea, change of personality - irritability/sexuality/etc., just a strange "knowing" something is not right.

Seizures??? staring, picking "bugs" off of my clothes (invisible), repetetive speach, repetetive actions - unrolling a whole roll of toilet paper, unable to say words and having to use alternative words, slurred speach, total loss of speach, total collapse on floor, or against the wall if sitting, or passing out on the bed, etc. Remembering parts and forgetting most.

Post-ictal??? total paralysis and mutism - can hear all - eyes can see and even move - but only partial control until each part of the body "comes back" - almost no breathing - this is dangerous with the COPD.

At home, Carey knows to prepare the bed, a pad of "oops", O2/CPAP/mouth guard/big box fan and covers pulled back, top of hospital bed elevated for help with breathing. I go to the bathroom quickly during the aura. Then, to bed with a diaper on for "oops", get all hooked up for my COPD, then, raise the foot part all the way up with the head part partially up, 2 pillows and a neck pillow, arms to sides.

Sometimes, I will awaken in the morning this way and feel exhausted - knowing I had night seizures.

Sometimes, I will "pass out" for hours, and have no memory of the former behaviorisms or aura or seizure.

Sometimes, I will have a single leg jerk with full alertness.

Sometimes, I will just have confusion in speach or typing - like dyslexia.

Sometimes, I will have just memory lapses - even of up to 35 yrs.

Once, my blood sugar - diabetes - was over 600 - and both coratid arteries were throbbing - I should have gone to the ER, but refused, and just downed tons of water and washed it all out over 12 hrs with no other intake but water.

Since then, I am on 2 different diabetic pills and 1 daily insulin shot, with sliding scale of another type of insulin (not needed in 1 or 2 mos but 1 time).

Summary: my seizures seem directly linked to both to high blood sugar and to oxygen loss??? My seizures may have a 5 min aura; 2 min seize; and up to many hours post-ictal; and then, deep sleep for many hours to a few days. And lots and lots of times, loss of ability of left leg for a LONG time, even days. And lots and lots of time, loss of ability to walk w/out a walker for days. I wonder if TIA's or mini-strokes are involved too.

I thank God for every moment I am able to live and find Joy in life.

Just call me gabby-gail :paperbag:

metal mouth

yeah, I get auras but they don't always precede a seizure-taste like something metal in my mouth (is the best way I can explain it). But when it does precede a seizure it could be a few hours or even a couple days.

a ps:

Right now, I know I MUST go pee and go to bed because I cannot read the posts - confusing.

When I am not able to read long posts - and am dyslexic in my typing - it gives me 2-3 min. to get ready and in position for seize. Then, sleep diverts the seize it seems or absorbs the seize if that makes sense or maybe this so called "aura" is a seize - pc on the pc - that's cool.

If you only knew how many words I am having to correct.

Goodnite. Hugs to all................Gail

I have them almost all the time, sometimes they're worse than the 'petit mals'.
usually they start with a feeling of vertigo, as if somebody moved me to the edge of a mile-high cliff, a feeling like somebody kicked me in the stomach, then a sensation of being electrocuted. and always a deep deep feeling for fear. lots of time strange burning smells too (like burning electrical insulation)

For me it starts with what feels like a chill going through my brain... then a rush though my chest. Then it starts... and it is basically like thoughts rapidly being placed in my head without my permission. Afterwards I feel really tired, confused (I forget names, and strangely letters but not numbers - like forgetting only the letters on a license plate).

The dominant feeling afterwards is fear and loneliness, like I've been abandoned.

Back
Top Bottom