• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Paradise Survivor

It's a brilliant site isn't it?! I have really taken a lot of comfort in knowing that it's not just me that's going bonkers! I absolutely hate the auras, I could deal with just a Complex Partial or even a Tonic Clonic, because I'm not "there" when it happens, I've always said it's not me that suffers with epilepsy but the people around me, the first I know, like last week when I collapsed outside the village shop, is when I'm getting into an ambulance, or saying to my partner .."Did I just go wonky on you?"

My aura will always start with a strange feeling of impending doom, usually in the pit of my stomach, it's actually happening now as I type this, then it will travel up across my chest, and out across my tongue with the strangest taste, I have tried a million million times over the years, to describe the taste and strange smell I get, but I just can't, it is absolutely terrifying, I just hate to be on my own when it happens, it is more likely to happen when I'm not doing anything to challenging, if I am out anywhere, I am happier if I stop what I'm doing, and lean against a wall, just to know there is no one behind me is very reassuring, crazy or what?! I've never had a problem with time I don't think, I kind of know what you mean though, I have a hell of a job judging time sometimes, I think something happened months ago, and it was only last week, weird, and quite scary.

I just wish employers would be a lot more understanding, once again I am unemployed, and I think that's about eight times now that I've lost my job because of people's ignorance and stupidity.

Anyway, good to read your experiences, and hope we can all keep in touch and keep each other smiling.

Cheers

Elaine

Thanks for the support Elaine-hope your moment has subsided. I too am unemployed and I often feel like I am not contributing but my hubby says not so. He also says he feels better knowing I am home and ok so to speak. He changed careers himself so that he would be working from home-he says he likes the freedom it gives him but I know in my heart what the baseline reason was. Fortunately he has been very supportive and rolls with the punches. I'm off to the doctor right now so I will get back to you later-having a new thing -blurry vision but only one eye, not sure if it is a new aura or not since I had a blackout last week and this just started a couple of days ago....something to keep me guessing.

I can only think of the time I went horseback riding on Mother's Day several years ago (probably not the smartest idea). I asked if I could ride this beautiful Bay, the horse and I had gotton to a full gallop when...all I remember was looking over the right shoulder of the horse and the next thing I hear are voices yelling rain....in my head I thought, I don't feel wet. They were yelling for me to let go of the reins! I had gone head first over the horse and landed on my butt directly in front of the horse. The good news was that dear sweet animal stood like a statue until someone drug me away, still seizing and propped me against the corral fence. I still had not come out of it when some big ol' sheperd came racing over and just started licking my face like mad...that did it! Needless to say it was an eventful afternoon ( my daughter who was with me and has a bit of a fear of horses was NONE TOO PLEASED! The trip to the ER was funny though - they thought I fell because I was drinking - nope just not real bright...still I had a good time and would do it again if anyone would let me:woot:

What a wondeful animal! My next door neighbor almost lost her arm because her horse kicked her there. You've restored my faith in horses.

Hi Hawke86

I would genuinely love to hear about your auras, if you've already told me about them, I apologise, but I have a crappy memory!
Tell me how it starts, do you get a taste, a strange feeling in your stomach, do you get the deja vu sort of feeling? I can honestly say, I could cope with having epilepsy if it wasn't for my terrifying auras!! I absolutely hate them, and would not wish them on my worst enemy!
I hope to hear back from you soon.

Cheers

Elaine x

Oh, I USED to ..... How I miss it. An aura was a wonderful warning that a seizure was coming.
I smelled sickening, disgusting body odor. When it first hit I was always HORRIFIED and then finally realized it was simply the hateful aura. That aura always, always hit a day, sometimes two days before my batch of seizures hit ..... what a safe warning.

Twenty or 30 seconds before the actual seizure that strange feeling in lowerbody started its rush upward. By the time it hit my neck I was having a seizure. But the several seconds gave me time to become "safe".

My first seizure I left the auditorium I was in because I became so paranoid about my body odour. I had been sitting down for 40 odd minutes absolutely panicky about my smell until I left to the toilets where I soaped my underarms, went back to the auditorium, sat down as before, had a grey spot aura and bam tonic clonic #1.

A 10 year old girls' description of how she feels during the day before a ' funny night' (now I know THAT means a nocturnal TC!) " I can be sitting in the chair and I start feeling really sick like I'm on the fastest ride ever. Then I get really scared, and my head goes all floaty like my body's getting longer, and the chair's falling. Then my head goes all fuzzy". I asked her why she's only just started telling me, and she said she told her best friend and that's when that friend stopped talking to her, so she thought she must have been saying something that she shouldn't tell. Thankfully, from my own experiences, I was able to reassure her, and now she doesn't feel like she's the only person like it. I suppose from me, she's only seen what I LOOK like when I have a sz, I've never thought to talk to her about how it FEELS as I've been of the opinion up 'till now that it's my medical problem to cope with, not my children's. My aura's are a bit different to hers, I will start off by losing the train of my thoughts repeatedly in a short space of time, and my ears make this buzzing like a thousand bees, then it's like I am being spun around while falling a million feet all at once, and all I have time to do (apparently, so my kids say, I never remember this part) is say oh god, oh god, not again. Then I will usually go straight into a CP sz. Strangely when I have my bigger szs, I don't appear to get any warning. Now, the minute I lose my train of thought more than once/ twice I will find myself somewhere reasonably safe to be if I have a sz.

i have physical, a numb felling in my hands and face and have learned lately the differance between a simple parcial, and an aura before i have a t/c and it scares me to death, because if i can catch it fast enough i can chase off the seizure, but if i can't i'm done for and get to go through what seems like the longest two minutes of my day. at the end of it before it all goes dark i get the nice out of body experiance and get to watch myself helpless on the floor. i also get deja vu and have a problem sometimes with my eyes involentarily crossing and getting dissy and naucious. thats about all that i get though.

I have auras most of the time before seizures, sometimes no auras before a seizure.

I think I had an aura!

I think I had my first aura just the other day. I woke up and the right side of my neck felt tight. I went ahead and got up, took my meds, ate breakfast, sat down on the couch to read, and the next thing I know I'm lying in bed with my hubby and my neck doesn't hurt. *shrug* Go figure....never had an aura before...but I guess this time I did. :)

Use to when I had auras before a seizure I could control not having them mostly.
It doesn't work anymore.Most of the time when I have an aura I don't know if I'm going to have seizure.
I had a doozy last night though and my back is still hurting me.

Belinda

Aloha friends, it has been a while. Thought I would jump in.. For me it took a long time to figure out the auras. I really had to pay attention to the subtleties. After a while I realized there were consistancies with different events. Some just pass thru while the one that starts with an odd sensation in my stomach is the 'bad boy'. I know to look for a soft landing and fast. Either I have managed a system of warnings, or...I am too self absorbed for my own good:roflmao:

One one occasion, after I left a meeting, I was very stressed and was driving home, feeling "funny" i thougt I could make it, but ran into a semi-truck. I had no aura though. I drove over 2 lanes of highway onto oncoming traffic. the driver of the truck told my husband that I wasnt swerving like i was drinking, but drove straight down his lane. I dont remember any of it..but what was I thinking during all of it, and why did the car appear to be in control so to speak? The truck driver said my blinker had been on to like I was signaling to change lanes. I also drove over the median.
There are guardian angels..........

I am all about the guardian angel!!! I have been blessed with a whole team of them...I keep em busy too, and those are the days without seizures.

Elaine,
The aura's I use to get where much better at telling me I'd have a sz.
sounds would get louder.colors would get brighter.
I'd know was going have a sz.
told my DH about this aura he said sounded like I was on an acid trip.

Belinda

Last edited:
Acid Trip!!!

Hi Belinda

I know only too well what he means, some of my auras are truly bizarre!!! I can talk Mark through them, sometimes, I'll just go "Wow!" and flick my left hand over the left side of my body, it usually starts at the top and flashes down my left side, sometimes I'll say "Whoooooooo!!!!" or "Wobbler" sometimes, it is like being on a trip, and I've read that some people find them to be almost religious experiences, I can honestly say that there have been ocassional auras that I have sort of "enjoyed" wow, can't believe I just said that, because most of the time, they are absolutely terrifying, always the taste, the uneasy feeling of foreboding, if I'm really bad, I don't want anyone standing behind me, and I'll maybe stand up against a wall or a door, I get the Epigastric Rising (like going over a humpback bridge) the strange feeling of impending doom, like something awful is about to happen, I used to see a man standing in a cobbled street, circa 1930, he would be pulling his collar up against the wind, and he would look at me over his collar, he also wore a flat cap, I have no idea who he was, I don't see him anymore, strange and very scary!!

I haven't heard from anyone yet that has similar experiences to those, I sometimes just think I'm going mad! Good to hear from you mate.

Cheers :brain:

Elaine x

My auas have changed over the years!

Over the years i have had different auras that have changed over the years. When I was little it was a pain in my stomach and as I got older it was a funny taste in the mouth. And now it is a combination of strange sensation down one side of my body and tingling sensations! Which makes it complicated of what is the aura!
David

Ever been spooked so bad that the hair stood up on the back of your neck? My auras feel like that and de'javu all rapped up in one, with a sick queezy "get me the heck off this rollercoaster" feeling added in. Fortunately so far no TC's have followed my auras. The only TC I have had to date started with me losing my vision and feeling what felt like a painless electrical shock up one side of my tongue.

Back
Top Bottom