• Special Senses / Psychic Phenomena

Votes: 220 51.3%
  • Physical Automatisms

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • Nocturnal / Other

Votes: 96 22.4%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sometimes I just get a feeling in my insides that I have to pack my ER bag (extra clothes and all my urgent needs) before an onslaught of many seizures.

Like right now, no such desire, I feel totally fine.

I still say there is a direct link to cigarette smoking and seizures even if it is a lack of O2 to the brain. Sometimes, I'll get a spaced out, walk like a drunk, after smoking a regular cigarette, and have to go to bed and go on O2. Am trying to quit and taking Chantix to help quit.

Apoxia can cause seizures, lack of O2, which I think is a HUGE part of mine, not investigated as yet by drs.

Am very interested in the hypocampus and all the effects of all of this on it.

My auras... whats yours like?

When I have an aura it begins as a faint familar smell then my mouth tingles then its like a full-on de ja vu that gets stronger and stronger, it almost feels like Im getting sucked in. I know whats going on around me but I cant really communicate. My partner says I wiggle my toes and my thumb and finger tap together while staring off into space. I hate the feeling but on the other hand its an amazing feeling Ive never ever felt in my life, its really hard to explain to people that dont get them.

Hiya Sweetheart

Oh bless you! I guessed you were fairly new here when I read about your auras.

I was diagnosed with TLE in 1986, I've just had my second lot of brain surgery, and I am so pleased to be able to say that I am AURA FREE!!!!!!!!!!! so I can appreciate how horrible your auras are, and how impossible they are to describe to someone!

A typical aura for me was very similar to the way you describe yours. I would get the Epigastric Rising the rising tingling sensation in the stomach, then the taste, then the feeling of being totally disjointed from the world around me, then either I would be saying to whoever I was with, "did I just go wonky on you?" or the aura or Simple Partial seizure went to Complex Partial seizure, and I would usually mumble and mutter, bring my left arm up into a clenched fist, then if the epileptic activity spread (secondary generalised) it becomes a tonic clonic seizure (very rare in my case). After my first operation in Sept 2000, I began to realise that the aura was a warning to further problems, but I actually went five wonderful years seizure free until the epilepsy came back in July 2005.

I have always said, that the auras for me, were the most terrifying part of having epilepsy, I have to tell you the drug regime I'm on at the moment, Keppra 1,000mg am and 1,000mg pm, Trileptal 300mg am, and 600mg pm, I am completey seizure free since adding the Trileptal to the Keppra, Trilpetal is purely for Simple Partial seizures/Auras, if you haven't already, it may be worth trying it, just keep an eye on your sodium levels. I am a different person, I go out on my own, I'm eating properly, sleeping ok, I'm not afraid to be on my own now, I just need to get a decent job, and get out there again!

I hope I hear back from you, tell me a bit about yourself (if you want to) I would love to hear back, you will find CWE a great comfort, there are some characters on here, and we will be able to answer your fears and worries, a problem shared is a problem halved!

Best Wishes

Elaine x

Hi Ziggidypoo

I just had my right Hippocampus removed 6 months ago today! It is a part of the brain that fascinates me too, it is in a part of the brain known as the Limbic System and is responsible for spatial awareness, short term memory, and the laying down of new memories, it is also responsible for emotion. I have a copy of an MRI scan of my brain, and you can clearly see where it was before they removed it, fascinating stuff eh?! The Hippocampus is the are of the brain that is affected by Alzheimers, so hopefully I should avoid having that awful illness!

I don't know about a connection with fags, thankfully, I packed up 10 years ago, best days work ever!! Want to tell me about your epilepsy? I would love to hear back from you!

Cheers

Elaine

Mine are always the same...
Is its an SPS sometimes I can just get a millisecond flash like from a camera. And thats it.

But a full seizure, I see a star like when u do a cartwheel. And it just grows,
and if u look into it, I can see like another scene like I'm watchin TV, and things happen in there. Then I get a kinda tunnel vision where I can only see what's in peripheral vision, but not straight ahead. Kinda like the opposite of lookin thru a tube...
Then I start to hear/see things (this is where I lose awareness of my surroundings) and feel like I'm in 4/5 places at once, taking part in several conversations(usually quite interesting).

Then I get the "Tonic-Clonic" is it?
Next thing I know I "wake up".

Anytime I see that star, I go into Gran Mal. Although I'v avoided it twice by just laying down, and controlling my breathing.

Last edited:
Oh, also, I can get aura where I just get a funny taste in my mouth, then my mouth kinda tingles. But then It goes. Is that an aura too?

My other auras like make me panic, its hell to KNOW ur going to have a gran mal, how scary is that? You just KNOW there NOTHING you can do. SO frustrating. But on the other hand, I prefer the "warning" than to just go down when I'm crossing the road or something.

But I will say, after the initial panic, Its kinda fun. It's such a nice feeling. Nothing matters, I'm just sat down on the floor hallucinating... I'm sure thats what people get when they take acid right? And they Pay for that...

Last edited:
I'm a bit late joining this thread, but I figured "what the heck." I have a number of different symptoms that crop up during my auras, the most common being dizziness. I also commonly experience loss of "train of thought", changes in visual interpretation (room shrinking or expanding, contrast changes), disorientation, auditory changes, and an inability to describe what is happening. More rarely I experience hallucinations, tipping sensations, and numbness in my hands and face.
What all of these symptoms have in common is that they vary according to what epilepsy medication I'm on and at what dosage, and that without any medication I have no (that I remember) auras, but will tonic-clonic seizures within 2 days.
I am glad somewhat that I am not alone in sensing hallucinations.

This is a poll for those who
experience AURAS - before
a seizure or no seizure.
(Yes - it's true, some people
can experience auras and have
no seizure(s).)

In this poll - You get to vote
as many that applies.

You may make any comments
you wish to make.
How long can an aura last without an occurrance of seizure?

Good question ....

This is a poll for those who
experience AURAS - before
a seizure or no seizure.
(Yes - it's true, some people
can experience auras and have
no seizure(s).)

In this poll - You get to vote
as many that applies.

You may make any comments
you wish to make.

How long can an aura last without an occurrance of seizure?

I am unsure what you are implying or in
reference to pertaining to your question?

If I am misunderstanding your question
please re-post it; but I am perceiving you
are asking pertaining to the aura with no
seizure manifestation. However, one can
have AURA / AURAS and not have
seizures --- I have provided update
information below as what other medical
conditions that can cause it, such as
Migraines - for example:

Here's some information for you:

Migraines - from eMed

History

The typical headache of migraine is throbbing or pulsatile. It is initially unilateral and localized in the frontotemporal and ocular area, then builds up over a period of 1-2 hours, progressing posteriorly and becoming diffuse. It typically lasts from several hours to a whole day. Pain intensity is moderate to severe, prompting the patient to remain still as it intensifies even with routine physical activity.

* The attack commonly occurs when the patient is already awake, although it may have already started upon awakening and less commonly may awaken the patient at night.
* Nausea and vomiting usually occur later in the attack in about 80% and 50% of patients, respectively, along with anorexia and food intolerance.
* Some patients have been noted to be pale and clammy, especially if nausea develops.
* Photophobia and/or phonophobia also commonly are associated with the headache.
* The headache usually subsides gradually within a day and after a period of sleep; a majority of patients report being tired and weak afterwards.
* About 60% of people who experience migraines report a prodrome, often occurring hours to days before headache onset. Patients describe a change in mood or behavior that may include psychological, neurological, constitutional, or autonomic features.
o These symptoms may be difficult to diagnose as part of the migraine complex if they occur in isolation from the headache or if they are mild. The prodrome of migraine has yet to receive significant investigational attention.
o Because of the set periodicity of migraine, linkage to the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the hypothalamus that governs circadian rhythm has been proposed. Discovering the central trigger for migraine would help identify better prophylactic agents.
* The migraine aura is a complex of neurologic symptoms that may precede or accompany the headache phase or may occur in isolation.
o It usually develops over 5-20 minutes and lasts less than 60 minutes.
o The aura can be visual, sensory, motor, or any combination of these.
o The most characteristic visual aura of migraine is a scintillating scotoma (occurring in about 64% of cases), beginning as a hazy spot from the center of a visual hemifield followed by shimmering light of different patterns expanding peripherally to involve a greater part of the hemifield with scotoma.
o Paresthesias, occurring in 40% of cases, constitute the next most common aura; they are often cheiro-oral with numbness starting in the hand then migrating to the arm and then jumping to involve the face, lips, and tongue.
o As with visual auras, positive symptoms typically are followed by negative symptoms; paresthesias may be followed by numbness.
* Sensory aura rarely occurs in isolation and usually follows visual aura.
o The rate of spread of sensory aura is helpful in distinguishing it from transient ischemic attack (TIA) or a sensory seizure.
o Just as a visual aura spreads across the visual field slowly, the paresthesias may take 10-20 minutes to spread, which is slower than the spread of sensory symptoms of TIA.
o The migrainous aura generally resolves within a few minutes and then is followed by a latent period before the onset of headache, although merging of the 2 also is reported.
* Motor symptoms may occur in 18% of patients and usually are associated with sensory symptoms.
o Motor symptoms often are described as a sense of heaviness of the limbs before a headache but without any true weakness.
o Speech and language disturbances have been reported in 17-20% of patients, commonly associated with upper extremity heaviness or weakness.
* Whether migraine with and without aura (prevalences, 36% and 55%, respectively) represent 2 distinct processes remains debatable; however, the similarities of the prodrome, headache, and resolution phases of the attacks, similarity in therapeutic response, and the fact that 9% of patients experience both suggest that they are the same entity.
* When an aura is not followed by a headache, it is called a migraine equivalent or acephalic migraine. This is reported most commonly in patients older than 40 years who have a history of recurrent headache. Scintillating scotoma has been considered to be diagnostic of migraine even in the absence of a headache; however, paresthesias, weakness, and other transient neurologic symptoms are not. In the absence of a prior history of recurrent headache and first occurrence after age 45 years, TIA should be considered and must be investigated fully.
* Although headache is a very common reason for seeking medical care, the majority of headache complaints are benign in origin. However, migraine with its protean manifestation may simulate or be simulated by primary and secondary headache disorders. Also, it can coexist with a secondary headache disorder. When headache is episodic, recurrent, and with a well-established pattern, a primary headache disorder is likely. Differentiating between migraine, tension-type, and cluster headaches is important, as optimal treatment may differ.
* Any of the following features suggest a secondary headache disorder and warrant further investigation:
o Atypical history or unusual character that does not fulfill the criteria for migraine
o Occurrence of a new, different, or truly "worst" headache
o Change in frequency of episodes or major characteristics of the headache
o Abnormal neurologic examination
o Inadequate response to optimal therapy

Last edited:
I guess that I was wondering if auras can be long-lasting and not be perceived as a warning of impending seizure activity. My perception seems to be altered at times; maybe in part due to my medications taken.Thanks for your concern .

Last edited by a moderator:
brain - What I'm talking about (and will talk about when I see my neurologist next week) is that on the site, I could not identify with anyone's auras.

Well, I decided, I just got seizures without "aura warnings". Woe is me, again... Your stating, something to effect, via information you gathered, that "Auras could be seizures" rings home with me, now.

After doing some deep and narrow searches about auras and Epilepsy, I came upon Neocortical Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. It does sound like auras can be "little" forms of seizures.

NTLE: "Psychic Phenomena"...1) Jamais vu sense of unfamiliarity, depersonalization or derealization. YEP. 2) Fear or Anxiety. YEP. 3) Dissciation or "autoscopy. YEP

"Auditory Hallucinations"....1) A voice comon with Neocortical TLE than other types of Epilepsy.YEP. 2) Distortion of distance of objects. YEP. 3) Vertigo

Too many YEPS...which lead me to believe I've had auras and/or episodes my entire life, having experienced all of the above, so frequently.

Were they auras or seizures? My neurologist told me, in the beinging, I could have been having "mini seizures" all along. I need to explore this.

You pose an interesting question....are they both in one? Very complex. All of this. However, leaving on good note. It's been documented that persons, who have Epiliepsy are highly intellegent. Duh. Whot did I jus sey?"

Thanks, brain

Last edited:
brain - What I'm talking about (and will talk about when I see my neurologist next week) is that on the site, I could not identify with anyone's auras.

Well, I decided, I just got seizures without "aura warnings". Woe is me, again... Your stating, something to effect, via information you gathered, that "Auras could be seizures" rings home with me, now.

After doing some deep and narrow searches about auras and Epilepsy, I came upon Neocortical Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. It does sound like auras can be "little" forms of seizures.

NTLE: "Psychic Phenomena"...1) Jamais vu sense of unfamiliarity, depersonalization or derealization. YEP. 2) Fear or Anxiety. YEP. 3) Dissciation or "autoscopy. YEP

"Auditory Hallucinations"....1) A voice comon with Neocortical TLE than other types of Epilepsy.YEP. 2) Distortion of distance of objects. YEP. 3) Vertigo

Too many YEPS...which lead me to believe I've had auras and/or episodes my entire life, having experienced all of the above, so frequently.

Were they auras or seizures? My neurologist told me, in the beinging, I could have been having "mini seizures" all along. I need to explore this.

You pose an interesting question....are they both in one? Very complex. All of this. However, leaving on good note. It's been documented that persons, who have Epiliepsy are highly intellegent. Duh. Whot did I jus sey?"

Thanks, brain

Psychiatry and Neurology have begun to explore the
profound effect the correlation between Temporal Lobe
Epilepsy and several Mental / Psychiatric Disorders which
actually were Epilepsy. There are conclusions, findings,
and sufficient data out there; but there's still need more
research, studies, and so on into this field - it's exciting
news to know, but both Psychiatry and Neurology as
implied - are still looking into this area, so much needs
to be ventured into before it all can be "finalized". (While
true, some have already been finalized, but there's a vast
area that have not yet been finalized.)

In addendum

I guess that I was wondering if auras can be long-lasting and not be perceived as a warning of impending seizure activity. My perception seems to be altered at times; maybe in part due to my medications taken.Thanks for your concern .

Your best recommendations would be going over and
talking with your Neurologist / Epileptologist for a further
evaluation of everything down to the core. We are not
Medical Doctors here in CWE, but we do have some
members here - but no one can provide you Medical Advisories
or consultation but your own Physician who is treating you.

If you are experiencing "long lasting auras", then I
strongly recommend that you keep a diary, journal,
ledger, or something - and keep track of time, date,
and notes of what you are experiencing so this would
be of benefit for your Doctor when you see him/her.

There could be many reasons why for prolonged
auras. It could range anywhere from the fact you
could be having seizures to side-effect of medication
to high blood pressure or what-ever it might be.

This is why it is been posted numerous times and
has been strongly recommended to keep a diary or
a record of such, if all possible!

Hope this helps!

Frustrating!!!! Will conclusions ever be finalized! Having, Bi-Polar, DID, and TLE, possibly Neocortical TLE,...I've done much research. I get "There "is" a correlation between psychiatric disorders" (particularly the one's I just mentioned)" then at the end...."No conculsive evidence" My neuropsychiatrist and neurologist are "teaming" together trying to figure out the "enigma" of me. I think I'm one of their favorite, most challenging patient. My psychiatrist, each session, says "fascinating"....That's all I'm getting so far.

I feel dizzy and sick, its a really specific feeling and I know that in about 5min my eyes will start spinning (mate describes them as looking like they on a trip of their own) then a few minutes later I will have grand mal type siezures.
Its really useful coz it gives me warning and time to get somewhere safe.
Plus my friends know if I say 'I feel a bit dizzy' exactly what is going to happen and can help me..

My First Siezure/Aura

I feel dizzy and sick, its a really specific feeling and I know that in about 5min my eyes will start spinning (mate describes them as looking like they on a trip of their own) then a few minutes later I will have grand mal type siezures.
Its really useful coz it gives me warning and time to get somewhere safe.
Plus my friends know if I say 'I feel a bit dizzy' exactly what is going to happen and can help me..
I was upset and went into my room to do deep breathing excersizes to calm myself down then the deep breathing got out of control and I began hyperventaling, then the seizure. So, when I meditate I keep my breathing shallow. People with Epilespy should never do "deep breathing" excersizes. I learned that the hard way. Only light breathing techniques for me!

I've only got two in my life. Both were like a back to back lineup of absence seizures and myoclonics mixed up together. Got one once when i was on a 24 hour shift in the hospital(probably due to sleep deprivation). had to get someone to cover for me during the aura. felt totally weird. it's like your head's spinning and you can't throw up or sleep or eat or anything else. you just stand/sit there like an idiot doing the same thing over and over again. ( i figured out i was having one when i kept going to the same patient fifteen times to catheterise him when i had done it ten minutes ago like someone had jammed the reset button on my brain's to do list.) Luckily it wasn't followed by a seizure whearas the other one i had on a train was followed by status.

Auras

I've only got two in my life. Both were like a back to back lineup of absence seizures and myoclonics mixed up together. Got one once when i was on a 24 hour shift in the hospital(probably due to sleep deprivation). had to get someone to cover for me during the aura. felt totally weird. it's like your head's spinning and you can't throw up or sleep or eat or anything else. you just stand/sit there like an idiot doing the same thing over and over again. ( i figured out i was having one when i kept going to the same patient fifteen times to catheterise him when i had done it ten minutes ago like someone had jammed the reset button on my brain's to do list.) Luckily it wasn't followed by a seizure whearas the other one i had on a train was followed by status.
My first big seizure was two years ago triggered by deep breathing excersize. A TC followed where I sustained injuries. Having TLE, my neurologist explained that I could have been experiencing aura/seizures throught my life, manifiesting in out of body experiences, time travel, voice hearings - many events of the paranormal. I was experiencing auras/seizures all along. In this country, back in the 70's having out of body experience and time travel meant the you were a spiritually enlightened person. I believe that was a "fad" but nevertheless, I walked around NYC believing I was gifted in this way!

Deep breathing as I trigger. I've just taken up yoga (my tape instructs me to deep breath) and am very careful to keep my breathing light lest I set myself up for an episode. The "aura issue" with me is way over my head as they mimic symptoms of two diagnosed pyschological disorders for which I've been treated for for many years. Both my doctors, phyciatrist (minor in neurology) and my neurologist don't know what to do with me. I remain an enigma to myself.

I typically feel sick to my stomach, and less frequently get exaggerated chewing movements...However, I do not always have an aura with my seizures (like with absense, g.m and atonic)

I have complex partial seizures/epilepsy and my auras come about 30sec to a minute before the seizure itself happens. It usually starts out with all of the sound in the room condensing into the center of the room. I get sudden fear and know that I won't be well so I try to sit as still as I can as if it's going to make it go away, but it doesn't help.

I smell burnt checmicals and I usually ask if something is burning around me. I feel strange just sit really still and have trouble talking and usualy just make signs to let my friends or interpreters know something is wrong. My interpreters have told me that I become pale looking and just don't look like I'm well. My nystagmus stops totally as well. After that I know that a seizure is going to happen and I try to find a quiet place to be and don't like others to be around unless they are helping. After the seizure I feel as if I have been electricuted which of course doesn't make sence to me but just an odd feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom