First eeg today... how did they know i was tired?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pheonix

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, haven't been on for a while i had my first EEG today and wasn't really looking forward to it because i didn't sleep much at all last night. Anyway it all went ok, think i fell asleep :/ didn't like the breathing thing! but at the end of it she asked me if i was tired, i said yes and asked her how and she said it was obvious on the EEG, i just wandered if anyone knows how she could tell me this yet they don't know the results, also how long will it be until the results come through, thanks

Pheonix

The results can take anything from 2 weeks to 1 month it depends usually 2 weeks. It would be safe to say you were tired after falling asleep most people are just because of nerves first time round the more you do it the bigger the pain it can be at lest for me, last time I offered to hook myself up for the EEG, I was fed up waiting for the technician.

Ive had several EEGs done over the years and was told that they can tell if you're tired by the way the results are appearing on the machine. They are looking for abnormal activity on the EEG, but it can also tell many other things. Heck I remember when I was a little girl the tech would always make funny little jokes with me while hooking me up. I told her I was so tired, and when they would first start things, she would make the remark... "yes, you're right, you are very tired!" lol. Later I found out they can tell alot by what the EEG says. The last time I had a standard EEG was probably back in 2008 I believe.

Certain brainwaves/frequencies (Theta, 4hz to 8hz) are associated with drowsiness, and others (Delta, below 4hz) are associated with deep sleep. So when either of those wavesform dominate the EEG, it's a pretty clear indication that you are sleepy or sleeping.

I have never fallen asleep or been really tired when I had a EEG but I have fallen asleep while having MRIs. I remember once after I had an MRI the technician said to me he noticed that I had fallen asleep during the MRI. I think once when I saw my neuro to discuss the results of an MRI he asked me if I'd fallen asleep lol.

Thank you everyone :) I would never be able to fall asleep during an MRI lol get way to freaked out!during my last appointment she said they wanted to do another MRI but because i said i didn't want it she said she would discus with her colleges whether to do it... i'm guessing that hearing nothing means i won't? don't want to get my hopes up if they change their mind and decide to do it

Maybe you have an open MRI machine in your area. It can take longer to get in, but that might help you out. I am CQ, I fall asleep during all of my MRI's. Can't tell you why exactly, but I go out like a light :)

Thank you everyone :) I would never be able to fall asleep during an MRI lol get way to freaked out!
I'm not sure if you don't like the MRIs because of the enclosed space or the loud noises. If you are claustrophobic then maybe they may be able to give you a mild sedative to help calm you.

The loud noises during the course of an MRI sets my E. off. It brings on olfactory hallucinations really badly and my head starts to spin. I actually find it quite amazing just what can be found out by an EEG. Phoenix, I thought I would freak out when I had my MRI because I am claustrophobic but they let me wear a mask so that I couldn't see the machine. It was not as bad as I thought it would be except for the seizure (that sucked!)

Back
Top Bottom