First seizure don't know what to do.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,

I just had a simple partial seizure. I've been having parties and over drinking and falling on the back of my head (falling backwards). My eyes were twitching uncontrollably, but I knew what was going on. I could not speak but I was able to move, and it happened for like 5 seconds. What should I do? After this happened I quickly looked up seizures and found little about it, and no precautions or help. I also read that it can be a sign of an upcoming complex seizure. I am afraid to go back to bed thinking it will happen again.

I dunno about what other may suggest but i would firstly go to your normal family Dr ... Given that you state you have been having lots of parties and drinking loads and having hit your head a few times it might be a provoked seizure ...

As bodies are built to only take so Mich it might be your bodies way of telling you to slow the parties and drinking down a bit

Defiantly go to your family Dr Dont forget To tell them everything ... And from now on keep a seiZure diary and log any strange feeling or seizure events and include what you were doing at the time

hope this helps

Okay, I did some research on concussions and brain trauma. What I read about it, I have some symptoms of concussion such as ringing of the ears(all day today), headache, loss of balance, and of course...seizures. Should I call the doctors now? Head into the emergency room, or shall I wait it out? I am afraid to go back into that mind state where your about to fall asleep(doze), and still awake. This is when it happened.

If you have the resourses to go to emergency room best to be safe are you in the UK ?
If So do you know if the 24/7 health help line is available in your area dial 111 from any phone its free see what they say

I am from Alaska, I currently do not have a way to get to the ER, I have no insurance and do not know how much it costs, plus I have two kids to take care of and if the bill can bankrupt me I am not taking a chance, unless it is an emergency. For now I am staying awake, because I read that seizures are more prone to happen during sleep...

It could be if you have banged you head that you have got bad concussion

I just want to state everything i say or suggest is just an opinion Im not medically trained and if your really concerned you should seek medical advice

I am very confused, my head is ringing, which is part of a concussion, and with the symptoms of concussion is part of seizures, but now I heard of a provoked seizure, I really can't tell. Maybe it all comes into play... But I'm an enthusiastic person and this really does not make me feel worried, it's my fiancée I'm worried about...

Ive heard ER trips can be expensive so is there anyway you can ring someone to get advice over the phone ??

Also when you have had a head injury they say its best not to sleep for a while anyway .. Follow any advice you can find for a concussion or head injury

But again Im not medically trained ...
How long was it since you drank and banged your head ?

I banged my head once last week, and my head felt like I had a headache ever since and recently hit it again making it worse yesterday.

If you Google provoked seizure it might calm her nerves ... Treat as if it was concussion and keep a eye on it ...ring your normal family Dr at the earliest moment to see them if money allows it (i Dont know how American health system works sorry)

Its also possible for someone to have a seizure and never to have one ever again

Hi Peter --

A certain percentage of seizures are one-offs -- that is, they don't turn into epilepsy (which is defined by having repeated seizures over time). While there's no way to know right now what's happening in your situation, what you CAN do is be as proactive as possible:

1. Call the doctor -- better safe than sorry when it comes to head injuries. Ask friends or family to check in on you regularly, and accompany you to the doctor's office. And don't rush to be active if you're still experiencing concussion symptoms. It can sometimes take weeks or even months to properly recover from a severe concussion (think of professional athletes), so it's important to be evaluated by a doctor.

2. Make a note of the circumstances of the head injury or injuries, look at the factors involved, and do your best to avoid them and be safe.

3. Look closely at any lifestyle factors that may be making you vulnerable -- fatigue, overindulgence, dehydration, poor nutrition -- and make changes where you can to moderate your behaviors and choices.

Good luck! I hope the symptoms of your concussion lessen and you start to feel better soon.

The funny thing is I have been staying awake due to the fact that I was about to fall asleep(doze off) and the moment you are still awake and all of a sudden my eyes started twitching rapidly which caused that dozing off moment to stop and I felt kind of euphoric for about 5 seconds and then my eyes stopped twitching and I stopped panicking. I have been up all morning, and this caused me to get very tired which I still am. But I really tried getting over it and sleep, but I can't. I felt like the whole time I fell into that same mind state where I had the seizure was there but I kept fighting my sleep even though I want to sleep. Weird. Now here I am, awake, made it through the night(darkness), and its bright out am I am not tired anymore, with possibly only 30 mins of sleep.

hi peter,
my first (known) seizure was a grand mal; the ER doc said too much partying and my body was going through withdrawal (there was no history of epilepsy in either side of my family). two days prior a girlfriend and i pulled an all-nighter and got wrecked bad, so it made sense to all of us that it was a one-off and i better watch myself from now on.

2.5 months later it happened again, but no partying. through tests and a neurologist it was diagnosed as E and the first one was called a 'coincidence' in the respect that this was going to happen anyway, and it's not uncommon for it to find you at your weakest. Withdrawal (from anything, booze, meds) is a seizure cause so don't worry too much yet, but maybe take it easy for awhile on the party, imo.

I think my brain is trying to recover from the trauma and alcohol altogether. I also recently quit marijuana a month ago after doing it for years. I recently took a drug test, and I'm barely passing. Would I have to take this also into consideration as a withdrawal/brain trauma/alcohol abuse?

when it comes to E everything has to be considered, so like nak said it's best to keep track, take notes, keep a diary or jot stuff on a calendar. if you don't have anything going yet, grab a calendar or schedule book and write down when you hit your head, the day you quit smoking pot, every time you drink, changes in eating or sleeping habits, stressful events like an extra bad day at work/family deaths/unexpected debt etc.
the more you keep track the easier time your doc will have helping you sort it all out.
don't be too upset tho if it takes awhile and possibly more seizures, a few tests etc. we can all agree it's better knowing than not knowing. keep us posted :)

Marijuana can have an calming, anti-seizure effect for some people, so stopping after long-time use could be stressful for your brain (similar to stopping other kinds of meds cold turkey). So it could be playing a role. Sometimes more than one factor can contribute to put you at risk for a seizure. As qtgirl says, it helps to write everything down, even if you're not sure whether it's relevant. Changes in behavior, health, routine, stressors -- all worth noting.

yep, all worth noting :)
for me pot became a problem and as a daily smoker, just had to give it up. i slowed right down as it started causing bad partials, then decided at one point that was it, every time i touched it i had a seizure. bleh. no thanks.

Okay, I finally took some rest. I did not have any weird dreams or anything. I did not even dream at all. But the weird thing is, it took me at least 2 hours of closing my eyes to get into a deep sleep. My head feels like there is less pressure, but my ears are still ringing, and if I make sudden movements the pain will come back. Also I am a righty, and my right hand is always stronger, but it seems though my left grip feels less powerful than it usually is. I'm glad I'm keeping track of these, it makes me more confident, and gives me the courage to fight and realize what I've done to get what I deserve in a way. It makes me a better person just having heard about all these consequences for making bad choices. Although many of us are very unlucky, I pray for all you who have gotten this sickness in the first place with no reason at all...

Okay, I finally took some rest. I did not have any weird dreams or anything. I did not even dream at all. But the weird thing is, it took me at least 2 hours of closing my eyes to get into a deep sleep. My head feels like there is less pressure, but my ears are still ringing, and if I make sudden movements the pain will come back.

peter have you ever had issues with severe headaches or actual migraines?

gives me the courage to fight and realize what I've done to get what I deserve in a way.

no no, it's nothing you 'deserve.' there is so much to find out first, whether it's simply withdrawal due to heavy drinking, or possibly cold turkey stopping marijuana, or some type of seizure. baby steps hun, first of all a doc appt, referral to a neuro, then go from there. but don't think you 'deserve' it.
like i had said, my first got chalked up to alcohol withdrawal after a rough night, but after a second one without booze/drugs they realized the first was just a coincidence, and was diagnosed with E on the spot. there are so many possibilities in the beginning, try to take big breaths if you can. hugs.

Don't try to stay awake - as far as I'm aware, sleep deprivation is the #1 trigger in the world.

Back
Top Bottom