Float tank therapy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try this float tank therapy for a while now, where you lay in a large tank of shallow water that's supersaturated with epsom salt so you don't sink. It takes all the weight off of your body and puts you into a very relaxed dreamlike state, the goal is total sensory deprivation.

It's good for pain management and also boosting creativity and such, you can google for more info.

I don't understand it completely but the state of mind you get into when totally relaxed is called Theta, very close to REM sleep and is related to EEG signals. However, a lot of the spas that offer this advise against people with epilepsy doing the treatment, especially when they are uncontrolled.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has tried this and what kind of experience it was, if you had any negative side effects?

I'm going to try it out regardless as I already bought a Groupon for it lol, and keep the lights on the whole time probably just to be safe I suppose. I'll post about the experience here.

My seizures are currently well controlled by Keppra so I'm not TOO worried about it.

Sounds delightful. The budget version of that is floating in the ocean. No spas like that where I live but we have a lot of nice warm ocean.

It also balances out your electrolytes trans-dermally, either sea water or epsom salts.

Have fun and let us know how it went.

I do know about it there place in my old town had one it sounds delightful but my friend went in one they close lid she freaked out I put off it bc I clausphobic so I tried putting some loads in my bath tub clogged up drained.i have tried sensory depravation it makes me panic in fact my aura can feel like it and I panic it catch 22.
I have sea but North Sea so cold don't you think Dutch mum.
Tried spars in Hungary they had this strange outdoor one and when you went in it you could not stop laughing I wondered if a gas was in it.Was heavenly
Tried fresh and sea spars in NZ that was lovely outdoor surrounded by green ferns.
I have been debating with myself about taking me and daughter for spar week see if get poisons out of me.
Tried a spar in ship moored in ampserdam had hot stones etc that was Devine but may have had something to do with blond swedidish drop dead gorgeous massage man giving me one...I tried genuine Finnish sauna in Estonia not so good got the waking with birch wood and very much encouraged jump in very cold lake not so good.plus load of fat nude Estonians and Finns off putting only reason I jump in lake.
I do pop down to sea get bottle of sea water and soak hands in not sure if it bc freezing I have hour reprieves from arthritic

I don't understand it completely but the state of mind you get into when totally relaxed is called Theta, very close to REM sleep and is related to EEG signals. However, a lot of the spas that offer this advise against people with epilepsy doing the treatment, especially when they are uncontrolled.
Theta brainwaves occur when we are no longer focused on the outside world -- i.e. daydreaming, falling asleep/emerging from sleep, deep meditation, etc.. Those also tend to be the phases where the brain is most vulnerable to seizures.

If your seizures are completely controlled you should be okay. But if there's any doubt at all, you might want to play it safe — at least ask if they keep an eye on the floaters.

For me (my seizures are also controlled), the comparable experience would be probably be napping on a float in the middle of a lake, something I have done many, many times happily and safely.

Theta brainwaves occur when we are no longer focused on the outside world -- i.e. daydreaming, falling asleep/emerging from sleep, deep meditation, etc.. Those also tend to be the phases where the brain is most vulnerable to seizures.

If your seizures are completely controlled you should be okay. But if there's any doubt at all, you might want to play it safe — at least ask if they keep an eye on the floaters.

I am one of those who would need someone with me because of my refractory E. Plus, I have always had a "phobia" about being in the water, even swimming pools, when I was very young, before my seizures began. I had a near-drowning experience that I vividly remember. I do not like being in oceans, lakes, or pools.

It is very enclosed bath.
I saw tv programme with this guy who had his brain waves nam ova describes,the guy said he saw a colour that was not on the spectrum ,he was in Egypt in one temples listening to ieider the sky was black full of stars incredible atmosphere so intense he had to take break come out for5mins even though wonderful feeling he became so euphoric to the point of panic

Back
Top Bottom