Fycompa: Is this a New Drug/ Anyone use it?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Afriend

Pillar
Reaction score
Greetings:
I have a very good friend who suffers from seizures some 50 yrs. Recently she moved so now she sees a new group of Docs. One of them has prescribed Fycompa which I never heard of. First, I'm wondering whether this is a new drug or just new for her? But more importantly I'd like to hear experiences with it if anyone here has taken it?

Thank you for those links they are very informative. Fycompa does sound good and I like that they seem to know how it works, for a change. I'm glad I asked about this med because I'm not so sure it's right for my friend. She already has weakness in her legs and has also been experiencing imbalance while standing up. None of her doc's told her that these can also be symptoms of epilepsy but it sounds like they might be. She only started complaining of this in the past year. I tend to doubt she was going to take the Fycompa I'm also urging her to start CBD oil. I don't know if CBD will help but as far as I know no one has complained of side effects with the oil, and I myself use it for sleep.

Yep, I was on that stuff last year, but finally told my neurologist that it wasn't working and that it was making me feel "weird" to put it bluntly. I got up to 8 mg that I took at night. However, I noticed throughout the day that I was having to "catch myself" as if I was on a rocking boat "Whoa! Almost fell there! What caused that?!" Just as if the floor had a sudden wave underneath it and I was trying to make sure it didn't knock me over as if I was on a surfboard. Thankfully I never fell, but I kept finding myself on one foot for no reason. That's when it hit me. This didn't start happening until AFTER I started taking this new medication! Sure enough, I got off of it and no more off-balance issues... considering I was still having my 2-4 complex seizures a month, I figured why take a pill that's making me feel weird and possibly make me fall? Hence why I quit...

doc offered it, that answered my question since most of my life is on a bicycle

Back
Top Bottom