G.A.R.D. diet shopping list??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BIGMAN131307

Veteran
Reaction score
G.A.R.D. diet shopping list help needed??

I'm going shopping tomorrow, and need some help with my list. Following the G.A.R.D. diet as close as I can, what would you suggest I buy?

So far I have the following:

goats milk (this does better then cows milk)
goat cheese (if I can find it)
veggies (which ones go better with the G.A.R.D. diet?)

Last edited:
The GARD diet allows you to eat just about any meats, vegetables and fruits that you like. The only vegetable that it prohibits is corn.

As a general rule, if you eat fresh, you should be OK with the GARD. It restricts consumption of legumes and grains (excepting brown rice), so most foods that are made with flour are out.

You also need to look at the ingredients on labels for any sauces you use in cooking (or salad dressings if you don't make your own) to make sure they are free of MSG, modified food starch, corn syrup, etc.

Besides corn, are they any other veggies I should avoid or eats less of? So basically all meats are ok to eat?

Sounds good, thx Bernard. :)

It restricts consumption of legumes and grains (excepting brown rice)

I am going to disagree, Bernard.. and perhaps there is a discussion in my future about this... but I just reread DogtorJ's site, and he says that any bread, muffin, waffle etc. that is gluten free, casein free is ok. I drew a deep sigh of relief, since that is what I have been feeding my daughter. There are many flours out there that work. In fact we just made sugar cookies, all organic products, with two kinds of flour mixed together. They taste wonderful

Ok.. hit me with your best shot if I am wrong. ;)

Bigman - Soy products

... but I just reread DogtorJ's site, and he says that any bread, muffin, waffle etc. that is gluten free, casein free is ok. ... There are many flours out there that work. In fact we just made sugar cookies, all organic products, with two kinds of flour mixed together.

I said, "most foods that are made with flour are out."

There are specialty products made with tapioca, potato starch/flour, and rice flour which are fine, but these are not made from grains/legumes/nuts on the taboo list. As a general rule (especially for someone just starting out), grain, legume and nut flours contain gluten.

Dang that's too bad. I love corn and corn is my special ingredient in my omelettes.

Besides corn, are they any other veggies I should avoid or eats less of? So basically all meats are ok to eat?

Sounds good, thx Bernard. :)

if you like pasta you might buy Tinkyada pasta joy its made from whole grain & is kosher certified wheat free/Gluten-free brown rice pasta.... my family hasnt noticed the change i made from reg pasta to this kind.. it taste good.

I fix lundberg wehani whole grain brown rice its also gluten free

naturewell natural beefit has no gmo's but the cows are corn-fed so i dont know about that one :eek::lol:

Grass Fed Organic Buffalo is good and my family likes it they cant really tell the difference....

most everything i buy is organic when i can I dont like eating or feading gmos to my kids

love angel

- from DoctorJ's site.

I do like soy products, but that's on the bad list.

Has anyone tried shopping at this place Gluten Solutions?

Yes sorry, another miscommunication. You had asked if there were any other veggies that you should stay away from, so I answered Soy Products.

The protein is far too similar to the others protein. Plus soy is high in estrogen which excites the brain.

No, I have never tried Gluten Solutions

What I do when I shop is follow the gluten free, casein free guidelines. Plus I then keep away from soy ingredients and corn ingredients.
One must also be on the look out for the multiple names that they call these products. I believe MSG can be called about 8 different names. Quite misleading and frustrating.

If you can find a Whole Foods Market, that is where I would begin. They are wonderful, and you can even make an appt to have someone walk around with you and answer questions about product choices. They do have goat milk products there.

I try to buy Organic when ever possible. I personally have the belief that if you are in healing mode, you need to be overly careful and not overload the body/brain with toxins. Kind of defeats the purpose. I read somewhere, maybe on Mercola's site, that if you only can buy one organic product due to financial issues, that you should buy Organic eggs. The caged chickens are fed all of the GM corn, which then is passed on to you. With that in mind, the next product would be your poultry and your meats as they are feed the same unless they are cage free.

These ALWAYS contain MSG:
Glutamate, Glutamic acid, Gelatin, Monosodium glutamate, Calcium caseinate, Textured proteinm Monopotassium glutamate, Sodium caseinate, Yeast nutrient, Yeast extract, Yeast food, Autolyzed yeast, Hydrolyzed protein, (any protein that is hydrolyzed) Hydrolyzed corn gluten, Natrium glutamate (natrium is Latin/German for sodium)

OFTEN contain MSG, or MSG is created during processing:
Carrageenan, Maltodextrin, Malt extract, Natural pork flavoring, Citric acid, Malt flavoring, Bouillon and Broth, Natural chicken flavoring, Soy protein isolate, Natural beef flavoring, Ultra-pasteurized, Soy sauce, Stock, Barley malt, Soy sauce extract, Whey protein concentrate, Pectin, Soy protein, Whey protein, Protease, Soy protein concentrate, Whey protein isolate, Protease enzymes, Anything protein fortified, Flavors(s) & Flavoring(s), Anything enzyme modified, Anything fermented
Natural flavor(s)& flavoring(s), Enzymes anything, Seasonings (the word "seasonings")

Thx All, I managed to get my foot into the door for the G.A.R.D. diet. There wasn't much of a selection that I was hoping for. But I was able to get the basics I needed fruits & veggies, goats milk, brown rice, etc. There was even a couple cereals that I was able to give a try.

But I couldn't find any goat cheese. :( I looked with the other cheeses and couple find any. Even over with the organics where I got the goats milk, there wasn't any. Maybe I am just not seeing them.

Are there any particular names for them, like other cheeses have? Or do they just say goat cheese on them?

Hopefully I can find a local organic store where I can find all the foods I need. If the prices are fair, that would be great too. :)

I still find the cheese display confusing at my store, so I usually ask if I can't find what I am looking for. It will typically say Goat Cheese. There are some companies now making rice cheese, but you still have to read the ingredient list.

I found this site today that has some useful information regarding goat cheese:

http://www.realfoodliving.com/goatmilk.htm

You might also ask the grocer where their goat cheese is located.

I could, but the people I have to deal with wouldn't know the difference. Most of the workers at the stores I go to are part time high school or college kids. They have problems when you tell them you want "large paper in plastic". :(

I still find the cheese display confusing at my store, so I usually ask if I can't find what I am looking for. It will typically say Goat Cheese. There are some companies now making rice cheese, but you still have to read the ingredient list

That's my biggest problem too. There are so many cheeses to choose from. It makes me dizzy. :( Rice cheese? I may have to check that out.

Bernard & RobinN, thx for the links. :)

Nice thread. Workers at farmer's market are often interesting to talk to. My wife and I have been in pursuit of good food for a couple years. The farmer's markets here in northern VA are nice. Apples with no wax coating; tomatoes with no oil coating. Meats, cheeses, breads; nicer than the food stores. Whole Foods Market store and Trader Joes are close seconds.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/farm-mkt.htm

CuHead - My sister lived with her family in Vienna. Beautiful place. She was a K teacher at a school in Fairfax. They recently moved south to some lake property. Can't wait to visit again.

I agree, Farmers Markets are wonderful places to find wholesome food. We have a few great choice here in SoCA. Buying local is a great way to know what you are putting in your mouth. I just like the one stop shopping I can find at Whole Foods.

I just ran into this article and found some great sites listed for gluten free recipes, shopping online, restaurants with gluten free menus, etc.

In the case of autism, some experts theorize that the condition results from brain insult from vaccinations, or mercury (thimerosal), the preservative in vaccinations. Often, putting autistic children on gluten-free and casein-free diets helps ease symptoms. Anyone with food sensitivities or auto-immune conditions should visit http://www.livingwithout.com (they also publish a magazine). Those with celiac sprue should visit http://www.csaceliacs.org or http://www.glutenfreeforum.com.

A good online resource for gluten-free recipes is http://www.glutenfree.com. You can buy gluten-free foods easily at health food stores or online. There's a list of gluten-free companies and restaurants with gluten-free menus at http://www.dearpharmacist.com.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStorie...LTH&storyID=626592&BCCode=&newsdate=10/2/2007

Back
Top Bottom