generic keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Brain

I am on over ride on Neurontin, Lamictal and Klonopin I do not need that on Keppra, so the doctor let's me have the generic.

It works just as good on me. I know what you mean by cost. I also have diabetes Type 2 and high blood pressure. My husband asked the pharmacist how much it would cost if he had to pay for all of my medicines without insurance. It would be $1400 all together.

If we did not have insurance from my husband's retirement, it would be a sad desecion that so many people have to make. He is retired and I cannot work.

Thank you for the information. So many people do not know these necessary things. It was my doctor's that told me about it. My insurance company sure would not have told me.

I did some searching and found where you can report problems with drugs
www.fda.gov/medwatch

We need to stand up for ourselves and report generic drugs that make us sicker!

If the dr completes the Rx as "fill as prescribe", they have to use brand name. My dr's office has not used that option previously as there was no generic, but now they are changing their procedures on prescriptions.
My understanding that without insurance, Keppra is between $250 - $300 for 30 days of pills. Ouch!

actually that varies between states. In some states your doctor can write "brand necessary" and sign their name on the slip, and the pharmacist is still allowed to substitute generic drugs and hand them over without so much as a word to you or your doctor

Have those having insurance issues for RX looking at ordering over the internet? I currently order from a Canada supplier and I have to provide a doctors prescription before the order will be placed. I get 100 tablets (100mg) for around $70 I think.

I don't know if this has been beaten to death all ready, I don't come here much anymore. But this is what I do now.

Please be aware that generic drugs of any kind are only required to contain a consistent level of between 80% and 120% of the active ingredient. If you get your generics from a company that supplies the consistent level of 80%, your dosage will be dramatically and suddenly decreased.

I have been on Keppra since April. When I filled my rx at the first of the month, the pharmecy replaced it with the generic (without telling me.) About a week later, I started waking up with migraines and they got worse every morning. I contacted my dr's office and was told they suspected the generic. They said they had a lot of patients experiencing the same problem. They contacted insurance company and told them I was not to take generic due to side effects and they put me back on Keppra that day. It took a few days to get the generics out of my system, but I could tell the head pain was lessening over the days. I pay $25 w/my insurance for Keppraand paid $15 for generic...it should is worth the $10 to feel better.
Everyone talks about health care reform, but the number one problem for those with insurance is the insurance company is allowed to decide my medical treatment. Insurance companies need to be held responsible for taking action that is harmful for us and quit working on the basis of saving their payout

I have been on Keppra for 3 years and suddenly I was switched to generic due to insurance. But I have been getting serious headaches that I haven't had before after the switch. I was not really sure if it is the generic's side effect or stress that was causing these horrendous aches. What jgbmartin wrote now confirms that I should request to switch back to brand pills. The level of pain of these headaches are getting worse day by day.

Lee,
My headaches kept getting worse, but as soon as I switched back to keppra, they starting getting better and were gone in 2 days. Doc said he has had many more people with same problem. I reported this problem on the FDA's medwatch website. My doc notified my insurance company that I had adverse reaction and only request name brand for me. I know someone on here was having problems with their insurance company with switching back to name brand. Cover all your bases with both your insurance company and doctor's office. A lot of doctor's office need to have it noted on your file to only request name brand because standard procedure is to approve refills with option to allow generic change.

Hi Everyone

I do not have any problems with the generic. I am glad, my insurance company is getting more strict about my health problems. I have headaches after my seizures.

My Dr. was on our local news last night discussing this very subject here's the link.

w w w .wxyz.com/content/news/investigators/story/Are-Generic-Drugs-Best-for-Everyone/JJIRwSRDM0i6-QbVKgG3cA.cspx[/url]

I have had Keppra added to my prescription for 8 months along with Lamictal after having multiple myoclonic seizures, and it has since worked completely, with no problems at all. Now my insurance company is refusing to pay for the brand name, despite the fact that my doctor says the brand name is necessary. My family and I do not trust the generics, and we are constantly fighting the company. The basics of the matter is that it is can be dangerous to switch to a generic because you never know how it may affect you, and whether it can trigger a seizure from different blood levels.

First, Welcome to CWE. This is a great place to get support, share experiences, and just hang out when you want.

Best of Luck to you on the insurance fight. It is a fight that is worth it.

I just recently left Keppra and started Lamictal. The generic keppra was just released as I was going off, so I only took it for a short period of time. I didn't notice any issues during that short time.

My Neuro told me that he is fine with the generic lamictal. He approved the generic keppra, but didn't seem happy about it. It is the dilantin that I also take that he insists be brand name. I take the Phenytek version. Dilantin has a nasty history with generics holding theraputic ranges.

Welcome again. Feel free to introduce yourself in the foyer.
:cheers:

I was given the generic about a week ago when I switched pharmacies. They didn't even call my neurologist, but told me to call if I had any issues. Well, Thursday night, after one week on the generic Keppra, I had a seizure at work during parent teacher conferences. I called my neuro's office, and spoke with the nurse who said my dr. might call in the new prescription as "brand name medically necessary" or he might want me to come in first. So now I'm just waiting...and keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have any more while I'm waiting on the dr. to get back with me or the pharmacist. I know that theoretically there shouldn't be a difference......but nothing else has changed, so why else would the seizures start again?

Welcome chris-s11. You will enjoy it here.

What is phenytek Dilantin?

Hi drummerchica02, I posted a link on 3/2/09 to a news program that featured my Neuro talking about how they do make a difference. You may want to review it. I had to post it with spaces because I'm too new her to post links so you'll have to re-type in your browser. Let me know if you have any problems.

I literally was just started last week for the first time ever on an AED. Neurologist started me on Keppra, and it's the generic. No reason to insist on the brand one since I have no experience with it at all. When I go to a routine dose of it eventually, I will turn it over to mail order, which would be $25 for 3 months, VS a little over $500 for 3 months of the brand name!! That would then be a good $2,000 plus a year which I could no way afford!!
$100 VS $2,000 is quite a difference. I sure hope the generic will work. It's too early to tell. Now I haven't researched if the brand cost is less if there is some sort of physician authorization because $2,000 a year sounds very much like a total out of pocket expense! (but this is what it came up with via my prescription plan) WOW!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, k2s4ever.

I take the generic of Keppra, I have for a while now. I have no problem with it. My neurologist told me to take Vitamin B 6 with it. I take the B complex with it.

My insurance company will only pay for certain brand name medicines and others I take the generic. I agree, it is the cost!!

This is a wonderful forum.

My daughter started taking the generic kepra and is now having seizures that last 20 minutes,having them in her sleep, and after she is now throwing up. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the generic. I am very concerned that it may be more than the generic. Any input would be appreciated.

My daughter started taking the generic kepra and is now having seizures that last 20 minutes,having them in her sleep, and after she is now throwing up. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the generic. I am very concerned that it may be more than the generic. Any input would be appreciated.
When I took keppra (brand name) & we upped the dose, my seizures increased dramatically. I would have them constantly throughout the day & night.

Back
Top Bottom