generic keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

has anyone taken Levetiracetam? I really dont want to take it because i have ALOT of doubts about this medicine..this may sound paranoid, but i dont trust it. My mom picked it up for me today because they wouldnt give me keppra unless i got another letter from my doctor..and the bottle says "no common side effects" ...BS!!!

What do you guys think about it?
I'm not familiar with Keppra but have had two different Neuro's chew me out for taking generics (Dilantin: suffered a seizure after switching; Lamictal: just asked Doc.
Both gave the same reason: the ingreients are indeed the same. However, the inert suspensions in which the ingredients are held are different, sometimes resulting in differing times/levels of digestion. Have your doc write to the drug company supplying your drugs with a letter requesting an exception since while being treated with the brand name you have suffered no seizures. See what happens. Also, look at other drug companies (like the V.A. if you're eligible).

My neurologist has started me on Keppra and has upped the dose. My seizures are increasing as well. I just saw him today. I am on the generic. My insurance will not cover the brand name on any of them. That includes the doctor over riding it.

My answer is to epileric and everyone who has the same problem.

Last edited:
Hi HELP4U, the best thing to do is to ask the pharmacist about your medicines. They know all about them and the interactions with other medicines.

If you want the brand name, you have to ask your neurologist over ride the generic of Keppra ( Levetiracetam). The drug company cannot do it.

Generic medications in general

i'm on three different generics that are equalivant to regular meds and they are as followed:divalproex dr 500mg= generic for depikote , levetiracetam 500mg generic for keppera,phenytoin sodium = dilantian 100mg

Hi Dave

I am on 4 generic medicines. Levetiracetam, 500 mg= generic for Keppra, Omeprazole 20 mg= generic for Prilosec, Lamotrigine= 100 mg generic for Lamictal and Primidone, 50 mg =generic for mysoline.

Hi Feast, Quick question about the Prilosec. I've taken Zantac and had a seizure the next day. I now take it at least 2 hours after my seizure meds. Have you ever had that experience?

Hi flinnigan, In the past I took Zantac. No problem. I have no problems with Prilosec. In fact, it relaxes me and my brain.

Hi flinnigan

Maybe not a coincidence, we all have different systems. What affects one person, does not affect another person and vice versa.

Generic Keppra wasn't for me..back to branded

Generic Keppra not for everyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I transitioned from Dilantin to the branded drug Keppra last May. Transition went well from me until I was switched by PBM to the generic in January, when a new formulary was introduced. Since then, I've experienced several "aura" moments and full blown grand mals. Currently I am going through a formulary exception process with my PBM, that includes using their mail-order service to help control costs.

Would advise others that are being switched to the generic or already have switched to be very cautious and raise concerns with your physcian and your healthplan's pharmacy director.

Before switching to the generic, I could usually tell if an episode was "impending", but on the generic, my episodes came on without warning. Makes you think about the true therapeutic value of the generic. They only have to contain 80% of the branded drug active ingredients to gain approval as a generic.

My two cents.

Hi cowboytex,

I started off on the generic. Maybe that is why it is not as hard on me.

I checked with my doctor when they came out with the generic Keppra. She told me for a 500 mg tablet there could be from 400-600mg of Keppra in it and the rest "filler." I have had problems with generic. When I took Dilantin and they switched me to the generic I had a seizure. Checked my blood levels and low and behold they were below theraputic. So I insisted on the brand name Keppra when they came out with the generic earlier this year. The cost jumped from $13 a month to $45 a month. Last time I had it filled it was $65 a month. Apparently Keppra decided to raise prices. The pharmacist said these companies will do this when a generic comes out because they know people are wary of the generic and will ask their doctors to prescibe brand name only. I have to have my prescription refilled this week and I dread seeing if the price has gone up. Thank goodness I have decent insurance thru my husband's company. Still that's a lot of money a year for a medication. I don't understand why they charge so much. Well, maybe to make money. Can't be the medicine is that expensive if they can make it in generic form. As the price goes up I keep thinking should I give the generic a chance. But is it worth losing my license for 6 months because I had a seizure due to low levels of generic Keppra???

I am very new here, and do not know alot about Kepra. Infact I have been on it for 3 days. When my doctor wrote my script out on Thursday, she handed me a sheet of paper that had Kepra on it and told me not to accept the generic. To make sure it was Kepra. When I asked her why, she just told me that she does not feel that generic meds. where good for me. (I do not know if she gets a kick back or what) I hope this helps!

Actually a lot of people seem to react much better to Keppra than to the generics. We've got a lot of people here who've taken generics & I"m sure you'll hear from them.

generic

Brand name Keppra costs me $50/month ($150 for 3 months) on my insurance. Generic Keppra costs me $10 for 3 months from WalMart (the 90 day generic drug program they have).

Without insurance, the Brand name is $300/month and the generic is $125/ month.

My daughter has been on brand-name Keppra for 2 years with excellent results. Per the doctor's instructions she takes a full spectrum multivitamin with each morning dose (for part of her folic acid requirements) and she takes a folic acid pill with her nightly dose. If she doesn't miss a dose, and gets a decent night's rest she is completely free of seizures. If she misses a dose she is gambling horribly and if she is short on sleep, the missed dose is a guaranteed seizure within 7 to ten hours after the missed dose.

she has only been on the generic for a month, but she continues to take her supplements along with it, and we have not noticed any change in the way she feels or in anything related to seizure control. Will post updates here as things progress.

She is badly wanting to get her driving privileges, and has about 3 months remaining until she has been 6 months seizure-free (the last one was from a skipped dose).

MC

I'm one of those who touted brand name only per my Dr.'s orders. I'm on Trileptal now but was on Keppra earlier. However I was on generic Trileptal for the first month due to a pharmacy hiccup my Dr said not to worry as it was my first month and to switch to branded. I've actually seen an increase in seizures with the brand name. Not sure if its the change in med or just the honeymoon phase is over.

So could taking the brand name work better in stopping your seizures than taking the generic? Im on generic right now, because the brand name is so expensive unless my doctor writes a note. But my seizures haven't been under control. Should i maybe try the name brand?

I don't know it seems awfully coincidental. I went 54 days with out a seizure on the generic and had a breakthrough seizure 48 hours after switching to brand name. On the flip side (the pharmacists agree) generics can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and you may not get the same dosage each time which can be so dangerous. My neuro is very much against generics for epilepsy. Don't do anything without talking to yours.

PS I loved your class report, you seem like a great kid.

I didn't even notice i had been switched to the generic form of keppra. I had been feeling awful and having little break through tinglings . Headaches you name it. It had been going on for awhile & i thought i just had to deal with it. I was on the Meningioma Momma website describing my symptoms and some one asked if i was on regular keppra or generic. I went and looked and sure enough i was switched to the generic. I called the pharmacy and she asked me when my symptoms began. i told her about 3 .5 months prior, she checked and said that was when they switched me. The pharmasist said i wasn't the only one and that while the generic was good it wasn't always consistent and in my case i shouldn't mess with it. I emailed my NS and he said he didn't believe there was a difference but he would write the order for me to take the real thing. I'm not 100% but on the generic i was having small symptoms daily, i dont have that on the real keppra.

I am surprised that the Neuro didn't think it was a problem. When I was on K, they switched me to generic, but my Neuro watched me close for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom