Going to the Dr tomorrow and adding Vimpat

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
Vimpat is a new AED that was just released to the market last Wed. My neuro had talked to me about it in April last visit and suggested that I try it and cut out my Lamictal since the Lamictal that I've been on for 6 yrs doesn't seem to be doing it's job as well anymore.
I will of course, be discussing it and getting all the facts first before I try it but from what I have read about it, it does seem/sound that it may be able to help.

Good luck

with the change. I know that there is another member here, who's supposed to be going on it too, but is waiting on clearance to get it...

In the proccess of making the swich

I started taking Vimpat Tuesday. I'm taking FMLA because last week was hard and they have mt on 0.5mg of Ativan every 4 hours I seem to be doing ok. Definitly not as harsh so far as the last switch I tryed to make. I've been on trileptal a long time and am on an extremely high dose. It also Has been messing with my sodium levels. Hopefully the Vimpat will work and I wont have to worry so much about the sodium

Vimpat users -- keep us posted on how it works. It would be great to have a new drug option that doesn't have the side effects of the existing ones. Fingers-crossed for a good experience all-around...

Yes, because

if there's a hope that this one drug can do well for different types of seizures then that would be cool..........

Back from the doc and he wrote me an Rx for it but my pharmacy has to order it. I'll start out slowly and get up to 200mg 2x daily in about a month.

The way that my dr explained it to me is that the Vimpat is one of the fewer drugs that is NOT metabolized in the liver which makes it a lot safer for women to get preg.

I'll let you know next week how I'm doing with it. I'm excited but am not getting my expectations up. :)

anyone on this have clammy hands and feet. I've taken 6 weeks off for the change over and suddenly in the past few days my hands are so clammy :clap:. its very annoying. let me know.

Last edited:
Well this Wed I will be starting my 3rd week on Vimpat and so far so good. In about 2 wks I will be weaned off of the Lamictal and after I am 100% off of the Lammy, I'll be on only KeppraXR and Vimpat w/ acetazolamide (Diamox) during my monthly cycles and OvCon 50 birth control pill to help stablize the hormone levels in my body.

So far so good, hoping everything goes smoothly through the transition from Lamictal to Vimpat.

:e:I've been having a really hard time with this switch over - I was on 1500mg of trileptal twice a day - it's an abnormally high dose. I started on 50mg once a day then on the 9th went to 50mg twice a day onthe 15th. tues of last week - actually mon night to try getting a better nights sleep went to
50mg and 100mg. on tues or wed went as walkin to dr. office ( actually went to ER and my mom offered to go up to the Dr. office to try to get an appt) it worked and we save $75.that day went to changing both to 100mg twice a day. fri I went up to 150mg twice a day. im really hoping that God mad this drug to make me better. :e:

I also am about to start taking Vimpat. I won't be switching, I will be adding to Lamictal and Zonegran. I rarely have tonic-clonics, with Lamictal only I had 5-6 partials/day, and with the addition of the Zonegran it went down to 2-3. What my Dr. is probably did not seem interested in hearing is that after I added 400IU vit. E once per day and 200mg CoQ10, the partials went down to one or two partials per WEEK, if that. Anyway, I will start titrating up on the Vimpat tomorrow, my Dr. is not messing around; my eventual dose will be 400mg, on top of 600mg Lamictal and 300mg Zonegran. As usual when starting a new med (I have been through a number of them), I am quite apprehensive about any side effects. Also, and probably lots of you have this, I have "honeymoons", a new med will work completely for 10 days to a week, and then, not so much. As usual, hoping for more with this. I want to be part of sharing side effects with real people.

Not from

what I understand, so far, Kansas Educator. I may be wrong, but everything I've seen so far points to it being an adjunct therapy.

My doctor okayed going off, partials increased, intensified. I guess my reaction is rare, though. Again, I seriously hopes this works out for you guys.

Back
Top Bottom