H1N1 Nasal Vaccine Anyone had it?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blondie47

New
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone here had the H1N1 Nasal (live) vaccine yet? Any side effects?

Nope, not

yet. And I don't intend to get any flu shots, either.........

NO NO NO

interesting Eric, this paragraph:

"It's important to remember that just because a medical event follows vaccination, it may not have been caused by the vaccination; it may have been caused by other factors, as unfortunate events continue to occur with or without vaccine," he told a news conference Tuesday.

Seems that if this is true for the vaccines that the same should be said for the virus itself. If someone dies that it can't be conclusive that it was caused by the virus. 100% of the deaths I read, were caused by other medical issues.

Spin the info any which way the media wants to... curious if any of the pharma companies are in Canada?

NO NO NO

interesting Eric, this paragraph:

Seems that if this is true for the vaccines that the same should be said for the virus itself. If someone dies that it can't be conclusive that it was caused by the virus. 100% of the deaths I read, were caused by other medical issues.

Spin the info any which way the media wants to... curious if any of the pharma companies are in Canada?

I have to admit I thought that quote says how this news wants to spin it.

We have the same drugs up here as in the US so I'm sure the same companies have the same interests in selling their products here as in the US.

I was wondering about this too. I made a dr.'s appointment to go and see if he recomended it for me. I wouldn't have been worried about it before now, but seeing as I'm on the compromised list with neurological disorders...I'm not sure what to think!!!!

No flu shots for me, ever.

I read an article recently that said that there has never been a comprehensive study to show that flu vaccines actually make a difference -- they might help, but there's never been a statistically valid study to show it.

Of course they say that about neurofeedback and diet vis-a-vis epilepsy too, so this kind of thinking can go either way.

I have not had the nasal vaccine. I do plan on getting it from the doctor's office when she gets the vaccine. I will be getting the shot. My husband wants me to get it. I wonder if it is to late in the flu season to get it.

In California, the state guidlines are: pregnant women, children under 14 years and senior citizens have to have a chronic illness and caregivers.

The live virus shouldn't be given to any one with health issues.
I take the regular flu shot because my immune system has been so screwed up, but my doctor said she wouldn't be giving the swine flu shot as she did not feel like they tested it enough.

I just got my "invitation" for the swine flu vaccination in the post today cos i'm in the "high risk" catagory. The rest of my family all got a letter too lol. Dad is diabetic and my mum and brother are both asthmatic.

I believe the next lot of people are going to be those who work with vulnerable people (yeah, thats me too).

I wouldn't like to have a nasal vaccine though - ick!

Thanks for your feedback!

I decided to go with the shot instead for my DD, 13 who has E. I'll let you know about the side effects that pop up. Our epileptologist gave us the go ahead too--comforting for a mom!

BTW, we are adding a new med tonight, zonegran. The trileptal works great for her occipital seizures, but we kept having breakthrough frontal's weekly.

Have a great weekend

I had my swine flu jab yesterday. My arm is swollen and painful, and there's a big red splodge where the needle went in. The actual jab didn't hurt though. Everyone i know who's had this has had really sore arms for the next few days.

I had my H1N1 flu shot yesterday.So did my husband and son. They are caregivers. I happened to be at my doctor's office yesterday and she had just gotten the supply in. In California, she has to go by the State's guidelines. The people like me with chronic illness, health care givers, pregnant women and children.

I know my doctor wants to give it to everyone, but she cannot.

The jab hurt and then went away. I had flu like symptoms all day yesterday and last night. I took some Pedialyte (electrolytes). That prevents vomiting and diahreaa.

I feel fine now. I am glad I got it. There are so many people coughing in our county. Which ones have the H1N1 flu virus and which ones do not? Coughing is the main symptom.

Loopy Lou, it is only the nasal spray that is the live virus.

I would like to know how many peoplle in CWE decided to get the shot and how many did not. I do not know how to do a poll, though.

I haven't had any flu-like symptoms whatsoever. I think it's just because of the needle being in the muscle or whatever. It's started to get better now.

Jeebus that was sore for a couple of days though!

Glad to

hear it Loopy Lou!!! You got off lucky...most people I know have ended up with some form of the flu after having the shot(s)....depending on which one(s) they got. Not me!

Hi Meetz,

I had the flu shot. I got a one day flu. It is how the body builds up antibodies to the real flu. The flu shot is not available to most of the people who want it. I was glad we were able to get it.

I went to a large assembly, about 1000 people. I heard a lot of coughing. Then when I went back to my meeting (about 90 people) I heard a lot of people coughing. Now, there have been only 30 people at each of my meetings.

I don't

typically get that lucky when I get shots, Ruth. I struggle to keep my immune system up, and that's with a LOT of vitamins........my body has become deficient in quite a few of them because of one of my health issues. So, I won't take the flu shots and create more stress on my body than there already is.....LOL. I know it sounds odd, but that's the way it has to be.

Hi Meetz, I am not telling others to get the shot or not to get it. I just said what I did.

You know your system better than anyone else. I would not want you to get sick. It is not odd, we are all different. None of us are alike.

It was on the news that a clove of garlic a day keeps the flu away. I do not know how true this is.

Back
Top Bottom