Has a cause been found for your seizures?

Has a cause been identified for your seizures? (Choose all that apply)

• No. It's a big mystery.

Votes: 80 35.6%
  • Maybe. We have some suspicions, but it's hard to know.

Votes: 74 32.9%
  • Yes. There was an event, injury, or an illness/physical cause that caused my seizures.

Votes: 56 24.9%
  • It's a confusing topic - I may have more than one cause, some we know, some we don't..

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • I don't care what the cause is, so don't ask me.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I care what the cause is. I want to know.

Votes: 50 22.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

head injuries

The first question my neurologist asked me was, "Have you ever had a head injury?" I just chuckled and said 5 or 6. That ended that....

Yes. Long-running underlying genetic disorder which, somehow, no one picked up on until maybe last year. (The year before? My memory is shot.)

Well, I saw a neurologist in January of this year and he diagnosed me with something new ... I can't remember what tho; my memory isn't the best. I asked for a copy of his report and they'll be sending it to me.

At first, I didn't remember the head injury that I had back in January of 2016 that caused me to have seizures. Now, the neurologist has said that I have some brain abnormalities, caused by either the new thing he diagnosed me with or by the genetic disorder (a rare primary immunodeficiency) that I've been recently diagnosed with. He said that it was only a matter of time until I had a seizure and then .... he gave me back my driver's license.

I haven't had a seizure in 8 months, and they only happened at night, while I was sleeping, so it should be fine. But, just in case, I agreed to increase my anti-seizure medication.

Cause? Tetanus?

Has anyone had any thoughts about or reactions from tetanus shots?
My first seizure was 2012 at 57 years old on my daughters 21 birthday. She then stared having seizures less than a year later. No one else in the family has any. Mine is under control with only 2 major episodes. She has had 4 from 2013-2018. Mostly hers was afte4 drinking. We are both hypoglycemic and one thing I keep thinking about is that when I was pregnant with her I needed a tetanus shot. The doc gave me half a shot not knowing how it would effect the baby. Is it possible after 21+ years this could be part of the cause? I know that the hypoglycemia and alcohol and stress all can add to the situation but cause?

I was a forceps delivery. The second neuro I saw said that he thought it was likely it created scar tissue and that's why I have seizures. *shrug*

I got hit in the head by a golf club when I was about 8 and started having Grand Mal seizures after that on and off until the present so they believe that is the cause

I had a traumatic Brain Injury in 1986. The neurologist said, I have the somewhat common to TBI people that the brain damage causes epilepsy, and sometimes more than a decade later as in my case. I do ok with meds. And then with MMJ they almost stopped completely. Altho I have seizures whenever I take amoxicillin. Over time I found that when I had a bad tooth infection I started seizing. After a while we found that it is the antibiotic. Never any problems with tetnus ( yet) ??

I was doing while for a while with my meds Lamictal and Keppra but the seizures have returned and my epileptologist is looking to supplement it.

I have scar tissue in my brain in the area that I always said I'm getting "weird feelings" (they're simple partials). I was a forceps delivery. They don't know why I started to get complex partials or had the 2-3 tonic clonics when I was 14.

Yep, I have a malformed brain which is partly hollow. The seizures originate from this area when a nerve signal is sent through this area and fails to make it across...think a car jumping over a bridge and failing.

This malfunction also explains my inability to feel radiant heat

I can feel the simple partials start. They originate in the back on the right side. When I described where I feeling was coming from, the neurologist said the EEG showed the simple partial start there, & the CT scan showed scar tissue in that area.

My family has a preference for them an uncle an aunt and great aunt has had them. I am the only one who has run away with them.

got it from my mother,

hers came out of no where at 25, so did mine.

No reason found in 9yrs and IDK how many thousands of dollars.

mine is a bit odd.. i have a big bit of grey matter in the middle of my white matter in my brain, aparently its always been there. Fits didnt start until i was 21 though :/
the trigger that set it all off, was coming home early from work to find my fiance in bed with another guy just a few months after having our 1st kid.
After which, she said she was leaving me for him. the next day.. BOOM, majoy brain shutdown.

My scan or MRI, I can't remember which one. The neurologist showed me on the screen that I have two open cavities of vacant holes right the middle of the left and the right sides. There is a start where scar tissue where the seizures start, when I found out word recall starts there at the right temp real lobe. I shat my pants on the spot as I do poetry and love (crave) words. This is all post motorcycle crash, coma..

What an awesome subject ������ it was really interesting reading it!!!! Best read yet! ��
To be honest, no one ever told me what it might be CAUSED by and I never thought of it because I was too angry that I couldn't get past the " This sucks, this is impossible to get epilepsy out of the blue as an adult" ��
I had my first two weeks after I gave birth to my son (so you can get A seizure postnatal) so maybe the lack of sleep/stress of a newborn bub with work on the side?
But then after I found out about the scents and smells and deja vu and good/bad moods- got me thinking i might have had it earlier (i had depression from a very early age- apparently- i think everything is from a point of view)
So maybe that?
�� cool subject though �� thanks for sharing

I agree....I have just gotten into reading some of these. My first was in my biology class in college. I had been tired after being after a volleyball tourney all weekend before; last thing I remember was staring at my rather good looking young professor. Next thing I know I was waking up, wrapped in a sheet with him sitting next to me in the student infirmary. Apparently I had had a grand mal and had lost control of my bladder.......how attractive.
Left temporal lobe, from what all 8 million scans and MRIs and WADA tests and God knows what else. Only thing we can think of was that I was also a forceps baby.

I wish that they could find out why I suddenly began having the complex partial seizures 20 years ago. Before those, the most dangerous seizures that I had (which I know of) were the 3 or 4 tonic clonics I had when I was 14, & they occurred in front of my parents. (I haven't had any more of those seizures since then).

PNPO Deficiency

Has a cause been found for my seizures? Yes, Genetic - PNPO Deficiency.
------------------
Here is some information regarding vitamin B6 Dependent Epilepsy:
Learn more about PNPO
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/pnpo
PNPO Deficiency
https://metabolicas.sjdhospitalbarcelona.org/sites/default/files/pnpo_deficiency_eng.pdf
Epilepsy as a Pyridoxine-Dependent Condition: Quantitative Urinary Biomarkers of Epilepsy. Family Disorders of Pyridoxine Metabolism
Meanwhile, disturbances in the metabolism of glutamate, GABA, tryptophan (TRP), serotonin, taurine, dopamine, and norepinephrine, which are synthesized and/or metabolized by PLPdependent enzymes [20–32], have been repeatedly found in epileptic patients. The increased levels of excitatory amino acids—glutamate, aspartate, and glycine [21–27] along with the reduced levels of inhibitory amino acids and amines—GABA, serotonin, and taurine [28–32] were detected in the plasma, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), and epileptogenic foci of patients with different forms of epilepsy. Moreover, a moderate increase in the activity of glutamic acid dehydrogenase, the glutamate-synthesizing enzyme, which is specifically inhibited by PLP, has been found in epileptic foci [33].
The above two quotes were taken from the following URL:

https://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/52265.pdf
Mutations in PROSC Disrupt Cellular Pyridoxal Phosphate Homeostasis and Cause Vitamin-B6-Dependent Epilepsy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5142116/
Direct and Functional Biomarkers of Vitamin B6 Status
https://folk.uib.no/mfapu/Pages/BV/BVSite/pdf_files/literature/ueland_2015_arn_35_33.pdf

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom